Unnecessary work.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Unnecessary work.

• Author

Andy
    Participant

Needed four new tyres for my car so looked round all the internet suppliers and local fitters. Found that a National Chain in Wrexham was the cheapest for the tyres I wanted.
    The tyres were fitted and the service I received was fine. But whilst the wheels were off a young man approached me with,

” Your rear disks and pads are worn and we recommend replacement. Would you like us to do that for you today?”

“Err…No thanks just put the tyres on please.”

Now, I fitted the discs and pads myself 19,000 miles ago and the disks are about 20% worn and the pads 50%.

They never seem to change do they. Anyone taking their car to these places, always get a second opinion from an independent mechanic before authorising any work.

johnhoppy
    Participant

Unfortunately most garages are the same. It is very seldom I take my car in for a service without incurring some additional expense for additional work which was unplanned. Years ago it was possible do do a lot of the work yourself, but now-days it is a mystery to most of us how a car works and we are dependent on our garage, and it is more often easier for convenience to let them get on with the job. There is no guarantee if you take your car to an independent mechanic that they will also not find work to be done.

I do however take my car for its MOT to a garage that does nothing but MOT’s, and therefore they do not have any financial incentive to find a fault with your car.

kaidee
    Participant

I had exactly the same happen to myself, my wife’s car had only done 16000 miles but, was 5 years old, when we had two new tyres on the front the chap who fitted them advised us that the discs and brake pads had excessive wear, when I told him that the car had recently passed an mot and the low mileage he said that they would be alright for just a few thousand miles. I would say that the majority of people would just say go ahead and do the work and they only need one or two of these people a day to keep their tills topped up.

AMA Express
    Participant

I’m guessing that you’re referring to KwikFit Andy ?

You can’t ge trickier than a KwikFit fitter

justjojo2011
    Participant

I thought they only laid those tricks on women? lol

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

When we took our car to be serviced at the main dealer, they always added a charge for windscreen washer. We always filled it up before it went! After questioning this charge they removed it, but it made me wonder what else they were charging for that they hadn’t done.
    I always found main dealers to be worse at this overcharging than independent garages.

Darlofan
    Participant

If any garage says you need extra work just thank them get them to do the original job then ask someone to check it out after. 90% of the time it won’t need doing. Brakes and wheel discs are a common one because people panic and think their car is dangerous. As said above mots are best at the likes of council sites where they don’t do repairs.

Metalhead
    Participant

@Mrs Crewe 20016 wrote:

When we took our car to be serviced at the main dealer, they always added a charge for windscreen washer. We always filled it up before it went! After questioning this charge they removed it, but it made me wonder what else they were charging for that they hadn’t done.
    I always found main dealers to be worse at this overcharging than independent garages.

Yep, had exactly the same experience & they also removed it when questioned. I wonder if it was the same main dealer? It was a few years ago & I still own the vehicle but no longer take it there for anything.

My wife sent her car into a small local garage for an MOT, they rang to inform her that although the car had passed it was probably going to need a new flux capacitor. After speaking to me she went to collect the car and told them she knew it was a joke and the car will be fine as long as she stays under 88 MPH! :)

dagg
    Participant

Were are the council MOT stations ?. Please.

Andy
    Participant

Abbey road, Wrexham industrial estate.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News

Prioritise support over punishment for young vapers, says Public Health Wales

News