Under 18's and self determination

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Under 18's and self determination

• Author

IMHO
    Participant

First off. i do not have nor would i want to have, any kind of tattoo or body peircing.

16 year olds are now deemed old and wise enough to decide who they want to vote for in council elections and do so but, no longer old enough and wise enough to make a decision about what to do with their own bodies as regards peircing.

Ban on ‘intimate piercings’ on under 18s now in force in Wales

Ok.there are problems associated with peircings i admit, there have always been but, 16 year olds, they are either more grown up these days and able to make an informed choice about things like voting and what they want to do with their bodies, or they are not, which is it?

Animal Mother
    Participant

The issue isn’t with the decisions of a 16 year old, it’s to do with the prevention of random, unregulated persons touching, manipulating and performing procedures on the genitals of what is legally a child, without supervision or any legal checks.

IMHO
    Participant

[quote quote=144109]The issue isn’t with the decisions of a 16 year old, it’s to do with the prevention of random, unregulated persons touching, manipulating and performing procedures on the genitals of what is legally a child, without supervision or any legal checks.[/quote]

No it isn’t about unlicensed people doing it; that isn’t even metioned; it’s not just genitals either as tongues are mentioned. It’s about any Tattoist doing the work licensed or not.
    In my experience of working with Tattooists (amongst other professions) over the last 20 years repairing and servicing the sterilising equipment they use i can tell you i have never come across one unlicensed practitioner as, the local authorities are hot on that kind of thing and that’s why Tattoists are amongst the best when it comes to taking responsibility for the health of their clients.

Read the article, properly, have a think, and try again.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=144111]
    No it isn’t about unlicensed people doing it; that isn’t even metioned; it’s not just genitals either as tongues are mentioned. It’s about any Tattoist doing the work licensed or not.
    In my experience of working with Tattooists (amongst other professions) over the last 20 years repairing and servicing the sterilising equipment they use i can tell you i have never come across one unlicensed practitioner as, the local authorities are hot on that kind of thing and that’s why Tattoists are amongst the best when it comes to taking responsibility for the health of their clients.

Read the article, properly, have a think, and try again.[/quote]

I’ve got a good question – why can no tattoo artists spell? Surely if they all took an English short course we’d avoid all those tattoos that come with spelling mistakes. Even if they just did a Google spellcheck on the tattoo first. I don’t get it. They’re obviously very talented as they can draw amazing artwork on people’s skin.

IMHO
    Participant

[quote quote=144112]

Read the article, properly, have a think, and try again.

I’ve got a good question – why can no tattoo artists spell? Surely if they all took an English short course we’d avoid all those tattoos that come with spelling mistakes. Even if they just did a Google spellcheck on the tattoo first. I don’t get it. They’re obviously very talented as they can draw amazing artwork on people’s skin.[/quote]

You don’t offer any viable answer to my question and then you go and ask (a stupid) one of your own.
    I’m losing IQ points at a rate of knots here interacting with you so, i’m out.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=144121]
    You don’t offer any viable answer to my question and then you go and ask (a stupid) one of your own.
    I’m losing IQ points at a rate of knots here interacting with you so, i’m out.[/quote]

Judging by your tone towards the 2 people who have interacted with you quite normally and politely on this thread, I’d be surprised if you get a response from anyone that you’ll be happy with.

Animal Mother was expressing his/her opinion, which some might argue could be a valid consideration for some concerned parents. I was merely posing a side question as a point of interest, which you were under absolutely no obligation to respond to if you were not interested in it. However, others might be interested to chip in seeing as this is a public forum for public discussion.

Dunning-Kruger out…

Sheefag
    Participant

Anyone mention Hitler yet?

Animal Mother
    Participant

[quote quote=144111]

The issue isn’t with the decisions of a 16 year old, it’s to do with the prevention of random, unregulated persons touching, manipulating and performing procedures on the genitals of what is legally a child, without supervision or any legal checks.

Read the article, properly, have a think, and try again.[/quote]

Oh the irony. If you read my post properly, and have a think, you’ll see I’m not talking about unlicensed tattoo artists, that is not what I mean in relation to “un-regulated”. Medical professionals, those that may deal with the genitalia of children as part of their duties, are regulated by the medical professional and regulatory bodies, and require CRB checks for what they do, tattoo/body piercing workers have no such regulation nor the need for CRB checks.

If you believe it’s ok for any Tom, Dick or Jane to set up as a piercer and then touch, manipulate and perform procedures on the genitals of children, without any prior training, then your way of thinking is vastly different to mine and I doubt we’ll agree on many things.

AMA Express
    Participant

The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) merged with the with the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) to become the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) in October 2012.

However,a DBS check is still of little or no value. It just means that you haven’t been caught yet.

Animal Mother
    Participant

[quote quote=144176]The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) merged with the with the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) to become the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) in October 2012.

However,a DBS check is still of little or no value. It just means that you haven’t been caught yet.[/quote]

I’m aware of that, but every day parlance is still “CRB check”, hence my use of it. Also, still better to not have convicted sex offenders working on children, don’t you think? I don’t think they’ve invented pre-crime like in the Minority Report yet.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News