Ty Pawb

• Author

welchboy
    Participant

Visited around 1300 hours today, few stalls open, shutters down in others and less then ten people walking round, no one sitting at the tables.

Council Watcher
    Participant

Did some of the stall holders get evicted last Wednesday- been to Ty Pawb this morning and it looked like nearly half of the stalls were closed- lots of shutters down?
    Retail space feeling very flat- no atmosphere

Council Watcher
    Participant

Confirmed at lunch time today- two of the Ty Pawb businesses will not be opening tomorrow (Monday)- abnouncements to be made tomorrow.

This must be one of the biggest challenges for the new Chief Executiuve as it is such a public issue and financial risk if the Arts Council come calling for a reclaim if this closes or is down sized.

Username81
    Participant

Having visited ty pawb I have to echo some of the comments expressed both here and on tripadvisor. The general feeling is unwelcoming and somewhat alienating. Surely, the vast sums spent on ty pawb could have been spent on something that actually benefits people and communities. There are several ways that wrexham could be revitalised and I suspect an arts hub is not the answer. Time may well prove me wrong, but I doubt it. The question I would venture is this – who does benefit from ty pawb? Everyone’s house – which feels like anything but.

Council Watcher
    Participant

One less business opening upo on Monday they have closed their shutters for the last time this afternoon- sad to see someon in tears locking up.

KidA
    Participant

Any idea why they are closing CW?

Council Watcher
    Participant

KidA – I think the thread has highlighted many of the issues-
    Very low footfall- and of those ‘passing through’ very few are spending
    Insufficient activity to attract people
    People visting events are not shoppers
    The length of time to complete the builing
    Two months plus without wifi for electronic card transactions
    A lack of a programme of activities to pull people in
    Users of the arts facilities are not customers of the food or retail outlets
    Lack of communication from Council officers
    Incorrect information being given to business re their licences

Very few things are happening to support buinesses

R T
    Keymaster

[quote]One less business opening upo on Monday they have closed their shutters for the last time this afternoon- sad to see someon in tears locking up.[/quote]

I was half expecting a reply on here by a trader, as they mentioned to me that this post was incorrect and they seemed open to replying with what the reality is in there.

Hopefully that will happen!

Council Watcher
    Participant

Rob – perhaps they have now realised that a business has actually closed-
    If one of the businesses would like to provide a full list of those that have closed then that would clarify the position.
    At least one that is still there has gained from the closure of Blank Canvas and that is the Curry to Go who can now sell Coffee – yet strange that you can’t get one with your food from the Tapas stall- if it is a restrictive covenant in the licence then that could be challenged under European trade regulations against restrictive trade. Unfortunately both Blank Canvas and now Curry To Go are suffering from event organisations who are taking their own refreshments in rather than buying from a stall – so doesn’t matter how much additional activity takes place the stalls make no money.
    There seems to be a growing unease with some of the other businesses struggling to generate any footfall to their stalls.
    Sorry guys if what has been said is not the upbeat message you would like.

Matt
    Participant

So basically the makers of the best coffee in Wrexham by reputation couldn’t even keep a venture afloat in Ty Pawb. Says it all about how much of a failure the place is. I wish them all the best where they choose to relocate the Blank Canvas brand to.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News