Ty Pawb – Very disappointed :-(

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Ty Pawb – Very disappointed :-(

• Author

Matt
    Participant

Something that gets continuously mentioned and compared to Ty Pawb is the success that the Altrincham Market has had in turning things around for a town centre. However, what I wasn’t previously aware of was the fact that the Altrincham refurbishment project cost £175,000 vs Ty Pawb’s £4.5m. If it’s possible to improve a space at a significantly lower cost, how on earth can Ty Pawb have cost that much to refurbish with so little in terms of value being currently shown?

jimbow
    Participant

Visited Ty Pawb for the first time today. Cannot comment on the Arts side as there was nothing going on. As for the market side I was not impressed, there seems no flow to the project. On approaching down the South Arcade entrance the stalls on the right were unfinished and some were not open. Sorry not for me.

This project initially was due to open January 2018. Tenants were given six months notice to quit in June 2016,and although some wanted to stay whilst work continued around them, they eventually were told they had to leave. The reason given that they had to leave was it would reduce the building refurbishment time by a month.

The refurbishment for whatever reason has taken 15 months and should not have been accepted by the Council until all work had been completed. To go in there this morning and see workmen here there and everywhere just beggars belief.

CarolThomas
    Participant

I wonder if anyone in the Council contracting team even thought about putting in penalty clauses for non-completion of work by due handover date..

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=147169]I wonder if anyone in the Council contracting team even thought about putting in penalty clauses for non-completion of work by due handover date..[/quote]

Judging on how the Council contracting team allowed Virgin Media to run roughshod over digging up roads etc… to lay down some fibre optic cables, get it wrong and then be forced to dig it up again causing further disruption.

I very much doubt there is anyone of any kind of calibre or clout to implement punitive measures against contractors within WCBC. The very idea of competence or excellence within the local council infrastructure is Beggar Belief.

JaneJ
    Participant

Called in today to see if there are any events planned for the ‘theatre/studio’ space – no one seemed to know what and when anything will be on. Really poor that this information is not available now the centre is open. Nothing on Council web site either. Cant see me bothering to call in again… what a disappointment.

Daave63
    Participant

I havnt been, but i think its crap!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Its it dog friendly or not? a friend visited yesterday and out of courtesy asked, prior to strolling around with his dog, if it were OK to enter, and was told, after a small consultation between Hub Staff, “No, Not Dog Friendly”, however he reported that there were in fact several dog owners with their pets meandering around, and that on opening day, dogs were in attendance with owners. I have also been advised that there is no signage to indicate either way.
    Will not be visiting until I know the policy. I do recall seeing promotional art work that depicted a woman with her dog in the hub, My friend also advised that what little he did see of Ty Pawb, it was evident that several pallets of paint must have been stolen prior to it being applied to the unfinished walls.

Council Watcher
    Participant

I wonder if Cllr Hugh Jones who has Ty Pawb as his pet (sorry about the pun!) project will bring one of his other pet projects out Control Orders — it is possible to issue a Dog Control Order the same as the type in place in the Town Centre for drinkers!

The Law seems to indicate a dog (or any other animal) would be permitted but not in the areas where there is food preparation or open food on display.

I assume that if dogs are going to be allowed then they will have to install poo bins and bag dispensers.

Don’t forget that many people will be turned off if they see dogs in this type of location and won’treturn..

Rex Ham
    Participant

[quote quote=147164]Something that gets continuously mentioned and compared to Ty Pawb is the success that the Altrincham Market has had in turning things around for a town centre. However, what I wasn’t previously aware of was the fact that the Altrincham refurbishment project cost £175,000 vs Ty Pawb’s £4.5m. If it’s possible to improve a space at a significantly lower cost, how on earth can Ty Pawb have cost that much to refurbish with so little in terms of value being currently shown?[/quote]

Altrincham market is an entirely different concept. It is purely a market with the usual array of stalls in the outdoor market and the indoor market is purely a food court. There is no arts element. I’m not sure of the £175,000 cost as it was a joint venture between Trafford Council and a private company who let out the indoor pitches to other food vendors. The indoor market was hardly changed, the old shops just became food prep area’s The food vendors by the way charge almost £10 for pie and mash or fish and chips, I can’t see that going down well in Wrexham!

Alunh
    Participant

[quote quote=147164]Something that gets continuously mentioned and compared to Ty Pawb is the success that the Altrincham Market has had in turning things around for a town centre. However, what I wasn’t previously aware of was the fact that the Altrincham refurbishment project cost £175,000 vs Ty Pawb’s £4.5m. If it’s possible to improve a space at a significantly lower cost, how on earth can Ty Pawb have cost that much to refurbish with so little in terms of value being currently shown?[/quote]

You raise a really interesting question Matt. Prior to the decision to opt for an Arts Hub in Wrexham, there was considerable pressure to “reconfigure” Wrexham’s Markets. Many people presume that this means spending loads of dosh on them, but this isn’t necessarily the case. Whilst refurbishment always helps, the real challenge for Wrexham a couple of years ago was to reinvigorate the Markets by applying the best practice noticed nationwide. That’s why the presence of the Manchester Metropolitan College in Wrexham was so important. Their academic team fronted by Professor Alan Hallsworth, Nikos Ntounis, Professor Cathy Parker and Simon Quin had already produced a key report on Markets (‘Markets Matter’) had already shown the ways in which well organised Markets can turn the fortunes of a town around and this can be read online. You mention Food in Altrincham, and one of the main features of a popular modern Market is locally sourced Food and the mixture of Butchers, Fishmongers, Delicatessens, and restaurants (et al) in a successful Market. This also HAS to have a Car Park/Access because people will no longer cart food across a town. Some towns have made a Food-hall the centrepiece of their Markets, whilst others have gone down the Arts and Crafts route with an emphasis on production and retail. Things like a Pottery and Kiln and Studios with Easels and Artists in situ are features. Unfortunately, I suspect that we have still not grasped the nettle where Markets are concerned and whilst I am fairly optimistic that Ty Pawb can be successful, I am pessimistic about the success of the Markets generally in Wrexham until we look again at the Met reports. Whilst we have a Market component in Ty Pawb and two other Market units, there is little coherence about what they offer and who they are pitched at. There is negligible Access to the two central Markets and little identity to them. Once the dust settles on Ty Pawb, perhaps these will be looked at

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

The topic ‘Ty Pawb – Very disappointed :-(’ is closed to new replies.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News