Ty Pawb – success

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Ty Pawb – success

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

Surely a lot of you are writing on the wrong forum, this is “Ty Pawb – success” :)

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=147982]Surely a lot of you are writing on the wrong forum, this is “Ty Pawb – success” :)[/quote]

Read the first post.

Councillor X
    Participant

Yes, I have read it and my point is that we should be applauding Ty Pawb’s overwhelming success on this forum, none of this negativity.
    The Council have done an excellent job and it is another notch in Wrexham’s belt.

Matt
    Participant

This is exactly the problem I was talking about in another thread, people from the council and other stakeholders constantly attempting to cajole people into some kind of Elysian Fields vision of Ty Pawb that quite simply no-one else is buying into at this point.

1) It is impossible to declare something an overwhelming success after having been open for just 3 weeks and no indicators of footfall, business performance, reception of additional entertainment events or any kind of awards or other acclaim. There is nothing measurable to suggest this, unless the council sets itself such a low bar that it’s in awe of itself that it was even able to launch the place at all without it turning into a catastrophic failure. In terms of user feedback, there has been relatively tepid positive reviews with a far greater number of ambivalent reviews where some things are okay but other issues hinder the overall experience or people feel somewhat underwhelmed and then there are the negative reviews – granted some aren’t that objective – e.g. “I don’t like the industrial design look” – that’s down to personal preference, but other gripes that have been discussed here such as “cards not accepted at businesses” or “I can’t find the art gallery” or “there are disability access problems” are real issues that have a real negative impact on the over all user experience and economic and attraction model of the place as a going concern.

For people not to be able to find the art in the arts hub and for businesses to be losing hundreds of pounds of potential trade in the opening weeks with still no resolution does not indicate an overwhelming success to me.

2) In terms of saying no negativity – the ongoing trend of people being discouraged from discussing their own personal opinions and experiences of Ty Pawb, the council would actually be shooting itself in the foot, as the constructive criticism that comes out online will actually give an indicator into how the space can be used better and the general receptiveness of the stakeholders to continuously adapt and improve the space will be a difference of between whether it lives or dies long term.

You can’t just sweep criticism under the carpet and not listen to local user feedback, after all it is “Everyone’s House” and some people in the house complain more than others, but the spirit of the place should be open and all views welcome. Just because a boatload of cash has been spent on it and the entire face of the local council rides on it, doesn’t mean to say we have a single guaranteed success outcome.

As I’ve said over and over again in various places, the only way to shut us critics up is to do such a good job by addressing all issues and drumming up trade through the door and making it an overwhelming success rather than just saying it’s the case and expecting everyone to toe the line. Because right now it’s really beginning to look like the Emperor’s new clothes, a renovated People’s Market with the illusion of some kind of artistic bent. The new clothes cost £4.5m and people are really struggling to see them.

Liz Jackson
    Participant

Councillor X, I believe you may need to go to Specsavers as clearly, you have issues with your eyesight. Perhaps if you have been to Ty Pawb your sight must be seeing triple vision which has made you think the place is busy – this of us without blinkers can see that the football is very small and of those people in there a number is only using it as a cut through between Chester Street and Market Street.

When some of the old traders tell you that they hadn’t realized the place would not have been full when they went into their stalls they would have had a second thought about moving in.

With the weather being so nice today (quite rare) the places in town that were very busy are those that have outside table and chairs- there is no such chance of this in Ty Pwb which means that the food stalls are likely to lose out when it is hot and when ot is cold and dreary all the retailer will miss out.

Does anyone know if there is anything on this evening or tomorrow as the website is still not up and running!!

Daave63
    Participant

You said ‘football’ Liz! Te-he!!

Liz Jackson
    Participant

Too many drinks being sipped in the warm sunshine — at least making a spelling mistake makes people read it twice to check — a useful marketing ploy!!

JaneJ
    Participant

Does anyone know if all of the stalls are now taken at Ty Pawb – I have tried to get information and am not getting any response from their advertised email. I am now giving serious consideration to be going to the Plassey as they responded very quickly.

The following was sent to – [email protected] — does anyone have any other contacts for TP
    Hello
    I would be interested in a possible unit in Ty Pawb for a small pottery business- to ensure the equipment would work I require a 3 phase power supply for 32 amp for the kiln.

Do you have any stalls available ideally with a solid wall so that equipment can be secured?

Could you please provide me with general information on the units available and the budget costs that I would be looking at to set up a business in Ty Pawb. I am not afraid of competition that but you give details of any protected covenant that could be in a lease preventing anyone similar having space.
    Regards

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

Well, nearly a month since Ty Pawb opening and the Coffee Shop lads have their unit open- what a shame they have had to wait so long (wonder what compensation the Council will give them).

The place just does not feel to have any atmosphere. I really wonder what is the maximum level of subsidy the Council will put in before they draw the line and put the keys in the door to close up.

jimbow
    Participant

In the Fourth Street Report on Ty Pawb the Rent Roll for Market/Retail space, Studios and Cafe/Bar was costed as £194k.

The Cafe/Bar part fell through and therefore £32k should be taken out from the £194k leaving £162k. Leaving a shortfall of £29k on the Optimistic Report.

The car park revenue was put in at £159k but the charge then was £4 per day. The Council have since this report changed the charge to less than £4.Income from car parks will reduce and net income will come in at around £41k. This is £16k less than in the Report.

All in all a £45 shortfall on the Optimistic Case.

The Optimistic Case made for a deficit of £188k. With the above the 1st year deficit could rise to £233k

On top of this in year 2 the rents are set to increase by 15%. There is a struggle to let units now without proposed rent increase next year.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News