Ty Pawb Market is no longer a Market in Council report on Markets!!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Ty Pawb Market is no longer a Market in Council report on Markets!!

• Author

Council Watcher
    Participant

The Council have had a “Town Centre Markets Strategic Asset Management Plan (SAMP)” whuch in the past has included People, Butchers and General Markets – the report going to the Scrutiny meeting next week has now excluded Ty Pawb — “For the purpose of this SAMP review and any future reviews, the former People’s Market and associated shops will be excluded.”

This is nothing short of a disgrace as it is blatantly withholding information- at no time has a discussion taken place to say that the Ty Pawb Market was no longer going to be classed as a market — the signage on the outside of the building says it is a Market!!

Taking Ty Pawb out of a Strategic Plan can now only be assumed that the financial failings would show that the £20k plus surplus from the other two markets would revert to a £200k deficit. It is beyond belief that Senior Officers and a Lead Member can show such arrogance to the public and traders.

I presume in future that when there is a meeting of the Market Traders those with a business in Ty Pawb will be excluded- divide and rule. All Traders need to ask questions now before they become a forgotten breed of traders – unity is required NOW.

Matt
    Participant

Does Ty Pawb have its own separate strategy / report coming? Where the public/full council is able to scrutinise how well it is doing. Or are we just expected to be hoodwinked as usual?

jimbow
    Participant

You would hope in the not too distant future a full Income and Expenditure Account for Ty Pawb Market on its own, will be available, but I am not holding my breath.

The old Peoples Market used to be included with the Butchers and General Markets and all surplus monies re invested back into the markets.

Unfortunately now the old Peoples Market comes under Ty Pawb, any surplus money will not be utilised for the Butchers or General Markets.

The Peoples Market had if 100% occupancy, the ability to attract a yearly rental income of around £145,000

Ty Pawb Market side if it had 100% occupancy, only has the ability to attract a yearly rental income of around £71,600.

To me the Council are deliberately trying to run down the town centre assets.

JaneJ
    Participant

I wish I had your confidence that there will be any surpluses from Ty P\wb market that could be reinvested, it is probably better than the Butchers and General Market are separate – at least if they make a surplus it should be retained rather than put into Ty Pawb Market to subsidise.

It was reported recently that Ty Pawb has full occupancy yet when I walked around last week there were at least six units that had shutters down and no signage or notices to indicate ‘we are coming’ which surely any new business would want to raise awareness.

jimbow
    Participant

JaneJ. I agree with your point that there will be no surplus coming from Ty Pawb. The point I was making was that the Council have reduced the possible income by £74,000 which when the 3 markets were combined went to reinvestment. Now the Butchers and General along with the shops support only themselves.

Council Watcher
    Participant

Could a Market Trader please take a picture of the Gold plated WiFi router stsyem installed in the Peoples and General Market as reported by Wrexham.com from a Council report on the markets. This seems an astronomic cost for two buildings that are open plan with no hudge dense walls for signals to penetrate. If this is the kind of cost they are prepared to pay for work that could have been done for a matter of £100’s rather than £10s of thousands.

Even if they used a microwave link from the top of the buildings – something technically that would have been total overkill still would not have been that level.

Somebody somewhere is making a massive profit!

We should not forget that there should by now have been a fully functioning town Public WiFi system that came with the new CCTV installation about three years ago!! Whatever happened to that? How much refund did the Council get for not having it operational? If it had been installed correctly a linkage into the markets would have been feasible at a cost of very low hundreds of pounds.

Money saved from this could have been reinvested in other parts of the refurbishment plan.

jimbow
    Participant

The historic clock repair in 2017/18 in the Butchers Market sums up Wrexham Council to a tee.

This clock has not been working to my knowledge prior to 2009.

It has taken 8 years at least to get it fixed, and they think that reporting it to Scrutiny shows they are on top of the regeneration of the Markets.

It is about time Councillors on the Markets Scrutiny Committee who represent the general public took a firmer stance with council officers.

Council Watcher
    Participant

Spoken with a few traders this weekend at Ty Pawb – what a depressing group they have become- it was reasonably busy on Saturday a number of the stalls had closed by 2.00pm. Seems that very few are now open from about 9.00 – 5.00 – quite a few are now cutting back on their trading hours as the weekly football is way below expectations.

Cant see it long before an exodus of traders starts as they are losing/lost confidence in the Council management to turn things around and make it the vibrant centre it was supposed to become.

jimbow
    Participant

Cant see it long before an exodus of traders starts as they are losing/lost confidence in the Council management to turn things around and make it the vibrant centre it was supposed to become.[/quote]

The problem with the Council management is they will not listen to input from outside. I have recently sent an e mail to the Chair of the Employment Business and Investment Scrutiny Committee who look after the markets, with regards to the market set up.

I was politely informed that as I was not a tenant of the market, my comments would have to be put by a representative of the markets. The market representative wished me to go with him to a meeting, but as yet that meeting has not been convened, and I do not know if I would be allowed to attend.

I think it a bit rich of the Council, that I am not allowed an input, when the Council are asking for 6 outsiders to form a committee to guide Ty Pawb through its early years.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=152104]
    I was politely informed that as I was not a tenant of the market, my comments would have to be put by a representative of the markets. The market representative wished me to go with him to a meeting, but as yet that meeting has not been convened, and I do not know if I would be allowed to attend.

[/quote]

I find it incredibly annoying when you try to put across any kind of critical or constructive point across that might help a situation and you get some bureaucratic boffin – sounding off – saying – if you feel like you have a point to make come to a meeting. It’s more often than not just a device to try and get you to shut up. I think the whole physical meeting thing is tired and outdated in terms of overall airing of views and decision making.

You look at the Wrexham Council meetings & 90% of all speaking time are dominated by overconfident, assertive, outspoken but by no means either wise or intelligent councillors. There is some kind of discriminatory bent against those who are perhaps more introverted and find they put themselves across better by thinking and writing things down first and perhaps do not like speaking in front of large audiences of people they are not comfortable with.

Not to mention time commitments to meetings and the absurd nature of how slow they are – agenda driven, referrals to previous trivialities – nothing gets done. It’s all part and parcel design of the status quo’s attempts to control things.

The sharing of ideas and the rapid development of collaborating on concepts and the rapid polling of public opinions/feedback on how something might work better is something that is transforming how private businesses evolve but the public sector refuses and therefore good people like yourself who care get locked out. Poor show.

In all fairness I’ve heard very Little about Ty Pawb or anything going on in it over the past month. I’ve still not even bothered to go in there don’t know anyone who goes there after they visited in the opening week. Even the Anti TY Pawb crowd got bored to tears by it and moved onto complaining about other stuff. What a damp squib.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News