Tŷ Pawb (merged mega thread)

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Tŷ Pawb (merged mega thread)

• Author

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=144468]Ty Pawb and its back passage approaches…[/quote]

Roll forward to opening day: One rather smelly and soiled councillor was heard to remark: “Now I did remember saying we should feature experimental art and not excremental…”

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=144468]….Wrexham.com seem to be co-conspiritors in this…[/quote]

With this and other threads existing, and being kept online by Wrexham.com plus linked to from nearly every page on here, it really is a terrible cover up of a conspiracy. Unless you are in on it?!

Also, to keep standards high, if Wrexham.com is being accused of fake news can the appropriate gifs please be used?

fake news

Alunh
    Participant

I really hope that Ty Pawb is a roaring success.

Jim draws attention to some vital facts and the only reason that facts like these are ignored is because many of them are abstract. Firstly, the money going into Ty Pawb from the Welsh Assembly is not generated by some Welsh Assembly PLC but is drawn from the Welsh tax payer. That means me and you. Similarly anything provided by WCBC comes from the same source. Over the last few decades the Car Park, Peoples Market and adjacent shops have been revenue earners above and beyond the staff they have employed and the businesses that have operated within their scope. That has been good for the town. Net revenue drawn from the profits has fed into the WCBC system.

Whilst there are reasons that WCBC has moved from the prior template, it has now moved into unknown terrain. Not only has it had to bite the bullet on the possible net revenue stream but ongoing losses and subsidies are penciled in. These may (or may not) be temporary. Either way we have to add the net revenue lost to the loss to understand the financial sacrifice being made here. It is a ++ game.

That is why WCBC has to get this project right and hit the ground running. At this point I am concerned. Hopefully my concerns prove completely wrong. The proof of the pudding will be in the Marketing, Advertising and Organisation of the project.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote quote=144467]While I respect your right to express your disagreement with the post, I must object to your use of the word retarded it is not called for.[/quote]

WE can go with knuckle dragging ****** if you want, I’m good with either.

Council Watcher
    Participant

There are a few things that have changed since the original business plan p

Car Parking — it stated the revenue income was going to be higher than at present (2 years ago) as the management would increase the car park charges — this was subsequently changed when there was the car park price war and instead of doubling the charges they almost halved. This gives a massive reduction in the original budget.

Police and mobile phone mast income- the transmitter ariel from the Police Station was to be moved with a £15k income that is not happening now.

The anticipated income from the Unit rent is less than budgeted as there are fewer units.

Besides the market stalls, there are supposed to be three food outlets — no mention yet about who is taking thee on.

Wages costs – originally were listed as if they were being employed by a Charitable Trust that was due to run the complex not now on the higher level of Local Authority staff rates.

Scratch the surface of the budget a bit further and it won’t be difficult to see other anomalies.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well Wrexham.com – you are not presenting a balanced view. The only largely representative views are in the many Posts – even the Wrexham Leader presented the truth yesterday when they reported that the Council were struggling to lease the stalls with only 6 weeks to go to the ‘Grand Opening’ – What did Wrexham.com report – NOTHING and even refuted ‘fake news’ allegations – Not to report actuality, and to manipulate the facts is, in itself, fake news. The council made an obvious cry for help – you did not understand it, or report it. I fear that even the opening of their back passage will not assist the take up of stalls or (as another participant has pointed out) the food concessions.

pierce
    Participant

Perhaps Wrexham.com should be asking the question to the relevant councillors: :” Why the leases are not being taken up “.
    I know of at least one former stall holder who will not be returning because the allocated space is vastly less than he had before and therefore cannot neither display or store merchandise.
    Another reason I suspect is the financial aspect of renting one of the new stalls.

Council Watcher
    Participant

Of the original business about a quarter are no longer trading- due to retirement or moving on
    Some decamped to one of the other markets or to a shop unit.

Why on earth would any of the previous traders want to go back to a place that has so much negativity that the future is uncertain — why would you move to a location with a current footfall of ZERO. There is no business sense.

Most of the previous stallholders would not actually ‘fit’ the image of the new set up — some would have been actively encouraged not to return. As for the ‘craft/art’ type stalls you see in other venues they rely very heavily on large footfall of new customers on a weekly basis as their products tend to be one-off type purchases- footfall made up of ‘regulars’ from Wrexham would not be the right profile.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=144490]Of the original business about a quarter are no longer trading- due to retirement or moving on
    Some decamped to one of the other markets or to a shop unit.

Why on earth would any of the previous traders want to go back to a place that has so much negativity that the future is uncertain — why would you move to a location with a current footfall of ZERO. There is no business sense.

Most of the previous stallholders would not actually ‘fit’ the image of the new set up — some would have been actively encouraged not to return. As for the ‘craft/art’ type stalls you see in other venues they rely very heavily on large footfall of new customers on a weekly basis as their products tend to be one-off type purchases- footfall made up of ‘regulars’ from Wrexham would not be the right profile.[/quote]

One reason I heard as to why some ex Peoples Market traders are going back to give it a try in Ty Pawb is that business in the Butchers Market is that dire, that they have no other option left. It has been rumoured the Council have a 60% stall occupation in Ty Pawb. There again, knowing how the Council juggle the figures, that 60% could well be just enquiries that will not be taken up. This happened in the Butchers Market a few years back when an enquiry is classified as on offer.

jimbow
    Participant

Great fireworks display planned for the opening ceremony. I have no doubt they have a full catalogue of arts events and groups and that there is a huge buzz.

Operations manager at Ty Pawb has said expressions of interest in stalls has been overwhelming.

Unless you have stallholders signed up to contracts expressions of interest mean nothing.

If you were a stallholder relocating back from the Butchers Market doing a 5 1/2 day week of 34 hours you will be expected to do a 7 day week of 64 hours. Stallholders are usually self employed 1 person operated who eat on the hoof with no breaks. To open for 7 days would more than likely need to having to employ staff.

I did post on an earlier thread as to the café area requesting a rent of £32,500 it is no surprise that this has fallen through.

I hope it takes off but there seems a lot of ifs.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Calls for urgent clarity of future of nuclear energy developments in North Wales

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News