Tunnels under Wrexham centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Tunnels under Wrexham centre

• Author

Taffy
    Participant

I heard that the Egerton pub (or the site of) was an old morgue and a tunnel ran from the old War Memorial Hospital to it.
    But until I see photographic proof I remain sceptical!!

jimbow
    Participant

There is still a basement under the Butchers Market although it is presently locked off.This would be under the old Woolworths Shop which later became where Smiths is now.

Yes, apparently this large basement/cellar was used as an air raid shelter in World War Two. Anyway we hope that Phil Phillips, who does the Wrexham heritage guided walks, will be getting in to see us soon, he should have some interesting details to share with us. Becky talked to someone at the church today who had a theory that the churchwardens used to use the tunnels to secretly get to the town centre pubs to see who was in them when they should have been in church!:)

susief
    Participant

When Woolworths was in Hope street, I remember a large square manhole type cover on the pavement outside the shop. It had air raid shelter clearly stamped on it, that would have been about 40 to 45 yrs ago.

dagg
    Participant

I believe there is one from the Commercial pub to the Parish Church but it is sealed up.

Born Acorn
    Participant

The story I was told as a kid was that there was one from Erddig Hall to the Parish Church. A pretty impressive feat of engineering for something with no records or other evidence to its existence!

However I notice there is a collapsed tunnel of sorts along the River Clywedog near Felin Puleston, with brickwork exposed. It was about here if memory serves me right, but given the proximity to the river it’s probably just some old drainage scheme or sewer.

Danielkg
    Participant

There is/was a tunnel connecting High Street and the parish church. Is has been permanent blocked out on the high street end

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

Some say one of the manhole covers outside the Horse and jockey is the entrance to a tunnel..

Some pictures of the river tunnel here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.613246532041379.1073741837.241198699246166&type=3

99DylanJones
    Participant

Born Acorn
    If you are referring to the opening that you can see when you look over the Felin Pulestin bridge on the railway side this is the outlet from what used to be a large mill pool- it is the area that Magnet and Wrexham Training/Coleg Cambria is built — this changed in aprox early 1960’s

99DylanJones
    Participant

Tunnel from Eslless Hall to Cadwgyn Farm in Bersham
    There is recorded evidence of the tunnel between Esless Hall which is located at the entrance to the Esless park estate in Rhostyllen and Cadwgyn Farm which is west of Bersham

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News