Travellers On Alyn Waters

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Travellers On Alyn Waters

• Author

NJones
    Participant

They don’t help themselves either- tweeted last night…..

steven shiels ‏@ShielsSteven 12h

@wrexham
    gypsis in llay doing donuts in there vans right next to the cars it is stupid

Metalhead
    Participant

@NJones 8728 wrote:

They don’t help themselves either- tweeted last night…..

steven shiels ‏@ShielsSteven 12h

@wrexham
    gypsis in llay doing donuts in there vans right next to the cars it is stupid

Just bumped into a couple of this group, have to say they didn’t really come across like being part of any Ford Transit stunt display team.

wrexview
    Participant

BBC News – Travellers set up on Alyn Waters Country Park in Wrexham

Interesting piece on the BBC website, a Mr. Isted from WCBC is quoted, saying it is encroachment on the land but it is not illegal?

st_elswhere
    Participant

If it is not illegal that it should be.

Is it time to fight fire with fire?

I suggest the Alyn Waters Dung Spreading championships or maybe the local car cruising club all night all week sound off. Why make it comfortable for them?

If they like the field so much just barricade them in. It is the councils land so if they choose to build a moat there fair play to them. If they won’t change the law to stop this sort of behaviour then it will take drastic action from a brave council to stop it happening in the area again and again. (which it is)

Metalhead
    Participant

@wrexview 8731 wrote:

BBC News – Travellers set up on Alyn Waters Country Park in Wrexham

Interesting piece on the BBC website, a Mr. Isted from WCBC is quoted, saying it is encroachment on the land but it is not illegal?

He also states ””However, given the scale of the encroachment we are hoping to take early legal action to remedy the issue.”

Why would the size of this camp have any bearing on whether or not legal action is required? Surely it shouldn’t make any difference if it was 1 caravan or 100, either this activity is legal or it isn’t? :confused:

Chris
    Participant

Think it may have something to do with planning permission.

weasel
    Participant

@st_elswhere 8688 wrote:

I hope this is a valid question. When I get car insurance I have to give a permanent address where I live and the postcode is taken into account when charging the premium.

How do travellers get cover for their new Pick ups and 4 x 4s when they have no fixed abode? Is their cover hugely expensive? If they are giving a postcode just to get cover but not living at that address isn’t that insurance fraud?

They don’t bother with insurance…I got rammed by one…Did a lot of damage to my car…As they weren’t insured I had to foot the bill, and suffer whiplash..

Llayunited
    Participant

Just been down to our pitches and they are being ruined by deliberate acts of vandalism.

They are deliberately spinning cars to damage the pitches.

Walking around the paths in the country park there is human poo and toilet paper on the paths.

As I was walking across one of the paths one of the gypsies drive his van at me, but I did not move so he gave me a mouthful instead.

Llayunited
    Participant

This was a quote from our local councillor today in the Daily Post

Llay county councillor Terry Bolland described the situation as “unfortunate”.

“Travellers have the same rights as everyone else and need somewhere to go”

Sorry if they have the same rights then they should also live by the same laws

Llayunited
    Participant

This is the response I have had from our local councillors who passed the buck to Wrexham Council

I am responding to your email to Clrs Boland and Taylor regarding the matter as above. First may I reassure you that the Council is taking this very seriously and is looking as a matter of urgency into the legal powers available to it to bring this occupation of the land to an end as soon as possible. However, it is not a criminal offence for the travellers to be on the site the Council is required to follow due process to seek their removal, which involves some initial assessments of the travellers on the site and the preparation of appropriate documentation. If this is not done correctly there is more chance of challenge and delay. In the meantime officers of the Council visited the site on the morning after the encroachment and made clear to the travellers that they were trespassing on Council land and are visiting the site on a daily basis to monitor the impact. I will keep you informed of developments over the next few days.

Regards,

Lawrence Isted
    Head of Community Wellbeing and Development/Pennaeth Lles Cymunedol a Datblygu
    Wrexham County Borough Council/Cyngor Bwrdeistref Sirol Wrecsam

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News