Traffic Light Stop Lines

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Traffic Light Stop Lines

• Author

Steve
    Participant

I did not want to hijack the other Gresford Roundabout thread any more so I though I would start a new one regarding Traffic lights and the ‘stop lines’.

Why do people stop in the middle of the road when the lights change to red?

Here is a classic place for it happening, it also happens sometimes when people turn right into Morrissons.
    stopline.jpg

The STOP LINE is in the bottom of the photograph, not the angled line that Wrexham council have painted further up the road to mark the end of the ‘right turn lane’ that you don’t cross anyway!. The extended lane marking were not there originally but people coming down the hill used to cut the corner so I guess that’s why the lane was painted.

But sometimes a car waiting to turn will just stay there when the lights go red, with 3 or more cars behind them, PAST the stop line blocking the road for emergency vehicles.

From the Highway code….
    “RED means‘Stop’. Wait behind the stop line on the carriageway”

JordanDoughty
    Participant

I have seen this when driving my QPod. I have also noticed Taxi’s tend to make their own highway code up! I was going round the roundabout and it says, “Always Give way to your right” and this taxi pulls infront of me when I was half way round!

nozzer
    Participant

The people who commit this act are inconsiderate and are not bothered about anybody else on the road
    Like a lot of things that happen in our world now.

Rondetto
    Participant

One of the worst roads for inconsiderate drivers is Bradley road coming into the town centre. If there is traffic coming from the town and going around the one way system towards Mold road, then traffic coming from Bradley road should treat it the same as a roundabout and give way to traffic to their right. I have seen many thinking they have the right of way and swing round without even looking to the right at traffic coming from the town centre.
    It’s one of the oldest and most basic rules of the road, to give way to traffic from your right, I know several driving instructors who tell me they see the same thing happening day in and day out there. How some people pass their driving test is beyond me.

Andy
    Participant

Nope! It’s not a roundabout. It’s two lanes of traffic. No one has right of way. If you need to change lanes it is your responsibility to ensure the lane you are moving into is clear.

JordanDoughty
    Participant

People should think to keep the roads clear. Happens at the main road by my house. At the bottom people block it all the time. 8:00AM to 10:00AM.

Born Acorn
    Participant
    Andy;8412 wrote:
    Nope! It’s not a roundabout. It’s two lanes of traffic. No one has right of way. If you need to change lanes it is your responsibility to ensure the lane you are moving into is clear.

Exactly. It’s a free flow junction, and the only people who need to give way are those changing lanes.

cmaj76
    Participant

@Steve 8368 wrote:

I did not want to hijack the other Gresford Roundabout thread any more so I though I would start a new one regarding Traffic lights and the ‘stop lines’.

Why do people stop in the middle of the road when the lights change to red?

Here is a classic place for it happening, it also happens sometimes when people turn right into Morrissons.
    stopline.jpg

The STOP LINE is in the bottom of the photograph, not the angled line that Wrexham council have painted further up the road to mark the end of the ‘right turn lane’ that you don’t cross anyway!. The extended lane marking were not there originally but people coming down the hill used to cut the corner so I guess that’s why the lane was painted.

But sometimes a car waiting to turn will just stay there when the lights go red, with 3 or more cars behind them, PAST the stop line blocking the road for emergency vehicles.

From the Highway code….
    “RED means‘Stop’. Wait behind the stop line on the carriageway”

I do not believe that ‘most’ drivers do this intentionally, they become trapped there waiting to turn right, due to the volume of traffic coming down the road and the timing of the traffic lights.

If the lights were to go red coming down the road first and then a 10 second delay for traffic turning right then traffic should not become trapped there.

It is the same situation at morrisons, if the timing of the lights were changed, cars would not become trapped in the middle of the road

Steve
    Participant

@cmaj76 8449 wrote:

I do not believe that ‘most’ drivers do this intentionally, they become trapped there waiting to turn right, due to the volume of traffic coming down the road and the timing of the traffic lights.

If the lights were to go red coming down the road first and then a 10 second delay for traffic turning right then traffic should not become trapped there.

It is the same situation at morrisons, if the timing of the lights were changed, cars would not become trapped in the middle of the road

You are not ‘trapped’, you have passed the stop line, you can simply carry on on your way completing your manoeuvre and turning right. Their is a filter arrow to allow for the delay you describe however I don’t think its used every sequence.

One of the best things the council could do with the far set of lights is put fins over the Red/Amber/Green (not the filter arrow) so that once you have passed the stop line and are waiting to turn right you are unable to see the colour of the traffic lights in front of you, as apart from the green filter arrow to indicate the oncoming traffic has turned red the others are irrelevant.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News