Town Centre Schools Review Consultation

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Town Centre Schools Review Consultation

• Author

Ferret
    Participant

the initial evidence gathering period for the review of town centre schools ends on Friday 14th February.

Options 2 and 3 would almost certainly result in the closure of at least one primary school and probably a minimum of two (one for each of the two secondary schools with surplus capacity).

So anybody who has a view on this should get involved here https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/towncentreschools

Alunh
    Participant

@Ferret 11588 wrote:

the initial evidence gathering period for the review of town centre schools ends on Friday 14th February.

Options 2 and 3 would almost certainly result in the closure of at least one primary school and probably a minimum of two (one for each of the two secondary schools with surplus capacity).

So anybody who has a view on this should get involved here https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/towncentreschools

Like others, I submitted a response. Unfortunately, I don’t think that the Council will have the ability to adopt anything near what I want so long as Education is a political football. The Secondary system in Wrexham needs a radical overhaul and by radical I mean completely restructuring. Unfortunately that can’t happen in Wales where the dominant parties are dogmatically committed to some sort of 1 size fits all Comprehensive system. Wales has been dominated by the Labour Party for eons and when the Welsh assembly has changed texture whatsoever it has been towards either the Plaid or the Liberals. Accordingly, I sense that what we will now get is a Through school response of some type which will work on a restructuring approach but only by putting more children in the same capacity. This is not restructuring but relocating.

Like many, I went to a Grammar School. This was a ladder provided by the then wartime Coalition (with Butler as responsible Minister) designed to allow students with the aptitude to go to this type of school the opportunity to do so. Thousands of kids from estates around Britain found themselves with a route opened to become socially mobile. Whilst I can see why they were abandoned as elitist, I can’t for the life of me see why there are not replacements that provide a comparable route in Wales. In England, there are all sorts of radical things going on to change the way things are done. Surely in Wrexham we can at least try to ensure that we fight against the stultifying Welsh Assembly policies that are betraying our youngsters

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of Parliament

News

Wrexham University announce Professor Joe Yates as new Vice-Chancellor