Today’s Flooding

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Today’s Flooding

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Planners in Wrexham know the areas that historically flood. Rivulet Road is a known flood area and despite a substantial amount of spending it still floods. With this knowledge they still approve new housing adjoining the road. On Ruthin Road there is another known flood area and again new houses have been built on this land. How can a buyer of property in this type of area protect themselves?

pete
    Participant

Did any of the new houses actually get flooded?

Normally new houses built in areas prone to flooding are built at a slightly higher level, required as part of the planning permission.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

We have had so much rain lately that I am thinking of evolving webbed feet!

WelshAlien
    Participant

The new development on Rivulet Road has been built up slightly higher, It has been many years since Rivulet Road flooded like that last.

Rob
    Participant

Ruthin Rd development:
    ruthin-road-flood-becky-500x348.jpg

Rivulet Rd development:
    rivulet-road-new-houses-flood-500x343.jpg

Born Acorn
    Participant

It most likely does not help that the river is culverted again there under what was the old gasworks.

Lucikly I think most debris that could block it gets stuck around the Maelor, from urban exploration photos of the culverts I have seen.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I saw the pictures in the article and it was pretty bad. I also saw the helicopter dropping off the person caught up in the mud slide at the hospital. It has been a year of very extreme weather so far.

Rob
    Participant

@Born Acorn 6309 wrote:

It most likely does not help that the river is culverted again there under what was the old gasworks.

Going back to September when it was really bad – Bad Weather and Floods Hit Wrexham Area – Special Report | Wrexham.com this was filmed when they were clearing it out :

[youtube]8GSdzwkuzfU[/youtube]

Its titled Caia Rd but its Rivulet !!

michellecook
    Participant

@Born Acorn 6309 wrote:

Lucikly I think most debris that could block it gets stuck around the Maelor, from urban exploration photos of the culverts I have seen.

Thanks for the link, I found it surprisingly interesting :)

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I did not know there were culverts running underneath Wrexham. I found the article fascinating but will not be trying it!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News