TJHughes

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum TJHughes

• Author

weasel
    Participant

Why not move the market stalls into T J Hughes building?…

Alunh
    Participant

Sadly, whilst the Markets operate on Council owned property, the TJHughes unit (as was) is part of a privately owned development.

The asking rent on this will be immense as would the rates. The only way that Market traders could conceivably take this type of place on board is to be really organised (which they are not) or if the Council was to sub-let or purchase (which it wouldn’t nor shouldn’t). The current People’s Market is an extremely usable space that could be the thriving hub of the community. Whilst it appears peripheral to the town and the foot-flow of the town, it can be reactivated by a mixture of subtle and not so subtle changes.

The ability to channel a pedestrian flow in this direction is key, hence the debate

zinger
    Participant

It is a shame that the Home Bargains group of premises have a blank wall facing towards the indoor market. It is as though its’ back were turned.

Chris
    Participant

Landlords of HB site feel that way as they will try to give you a parking ticket should you dare to vist the market.

Alunh
    Participant

Shall we call this ‘blank wall syndrome’ for convenience. ‘Blank wall syndrome’ is part of the Wrexham problem when it comes to developments. I remember when the Bus station was put up and the shops on King Street were assured that they would be faced with a thriving shopping development. Next thing, a blank wall went up. When the unit that is TJHughes was built across the road from the Chester Street shops, ditto.

These are issues that should be hammered out in the planning stage because they should not be allowed to go ahead with this level of carelessness.

Y Ffin
    Participant

It wouldn’t matter how direct the route is to the People’s Market is, there is nothing in the ‘bunker’ that modern shoppers can’t buy elsewhere and probably for a better price. The council should concentrate its efforts on modernising and refurbishing the two market buildings, the General and the Butchers, that can be improved and then kick start plans to redevelop the people’s market site. Even using the ground floor for parking or a warehouse would be an improvement.

zinger
    Participant

It was the same to be honest with BHS & Queen Street. The premises that are there now are hardly inspiring. I couldn’t even tell you what they are called. One might be a pay day loan company & is it possible that there is a mobile phone shop? Queen Street lost out big time with the demise of the vegetable market.

Alunh
    Participant

@Y Ffin 8012 wrote:

It wouldn’t matter how direct the route is to the People’s Market is, there is nothing in the ‘bunker’ that modern shoppers can’t buy elsewhere and probably for a better price. The council should concentrate its efforts on modernising and refurbishing the two market buildings, the General and the Butchers, that can be improved and then kick start plans to redevelop the people’s market site. Even using the ground floor for parking or a warehouse would be an improvement.

You may or may not be correct. However, there are many towns around the UK that have turned around markets or component parts of markets. To be honest, there is nothing in Eagles Meadow that can’t be bought online and for a better price and there is nothing in the Football Club that can’t be seen on TV for free.

Much of the road ahead will depend on what people want and what is realistic to achieve. I would say that if you abandon the potential of the largest of the 3 markets this would be sad.

I do agree with you that there is little within the Peoples Market to engage the consumer. That is one of the crux elements of the problem. Given that I have just pulled out of there, I may be the last to comment but the potential is huge. Unlike the ‘Field of Dream’, however, you can’t just open it and the people will appear. It need cultivating

zinger
    Participant

The market that was destroyed had soul. It was always bustling & busy. You could hear the activity. I don’t remember seeing an empty stall. If you couldn’t buy something in the Vegetable Market then you didn’t need it. The Peoples Market feels soul-less. There is, nor ever has been, any atmosphere. The arcade is/was OK though. I am so sorry for the stall holders there & the Butchers Market. The mix was there before & I am afraid that it may be irretrievable.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

The council don’t seem to want to help the stall holders. In fact it seems that they are trying to empty the market through increased costs with no increase in customers being created. I walked through the Peoples Market last week and it’s heart breaking to see what has happened there. I know there are empty shops in the town centre but when it’s condensed as in the market it really hits home.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News