Alunh
    Participant

@wxm 7988 wrote:

[you wouldn’t want a walkway? want an open bustling street?]

Absolutely!

Alunh
    Participant

@zinger 7987 wrote:

I understood that a walkway was originally planned for the Peoples Market before TJ’s was built. I had it in my mind that they were talking though about an overhead one. My memory could be playing tricks but there was certainly something about it. Would there be any problems to do with Chester Street being an actual Street? There are removable bollards at the ends aren’t there?

I think that you’re right about the overhead

wxm
    Participant

@Alunh 7990 wrote:

I don’t think that you need to change the street layout at all. All that needs to occur is that the developers/landlords need to be ‘persuaded’ that it is in their interests to further develop their property. From their perspective, they might have nothing to lose. That part of town is struggling and other shops might well follow the recent evacuees. Retail has changed radically since the development occurred and it might well suit to revisit the layout. It is clear that both sides of TJHughes unit would be advantaged by a walk-through and it has to be in the interests of the town to grease the wheels. To be honest, this would be higher on my agenda than King Street and there is actually less to do here.

Let’s get on with this now! (The reality of Eagles Meadow is that it will always struggle, until the core of the town is healthy. Intervention by public service teams to ‘save’ Eagles Meadow by a ‘sway’ of opinion, simply does not work in the retail & consumer world.)

Alunh
    Participant

@wxm 7993 wrote:

Let’s get on with this now! (The reality of Eagles Meadow is that it will always struggle, until the core of the town is healthy. Intervention by public service teams to ‘save’ Eagles Meadow by a ‘sway’ of opinion, simply does not work in the retail & consumer world.)

Quite correct. People are interest driven and though those interests are far more complex than any one factor alone, it is as it is. All steps that are taken to add coherence to the town (Signage, Parking, Walkways, Disability friendly features, Benches, Transport, etc) will improve the core of the town. As much emphasis as is feasible within sensible budgetary parameters on salvaging/reviving the 3 markets will also solidify the core. Prudent steps that are budgeted and logical will positively impact on Eagles Meadow but prove a boon for the wider community

NJones
    Participant

Lowering rents in the peoples market might allow traders to stay longer and not seek an alternative location due to cost. My friend rents a unit on Chester St and is looking to move out due the way they have been treated by the council. They recently had a drain blockage, but as the design of the building had cut corners the drains had no rodding access holes. They had to have all the drains cut open, final cost over £900. The council have refused responsibility for this and only offered to pay £400. There will be another empty unit on Chester st soon.

Alunh
    Participant

@NJones 7995 wrote:

Lowering rents in the peoples market might allow traders to stay longer and not seek an alternative location due to cost. My friend rents a unit on Chester St and is looking to move out due the way they have been treated by the council. They recently had a drain blockage, but as the design of the building had cut corners the drains had no rodding access holes. They had to have all the drains cut open, final cost over £900. The council have refused responsibility for this and only offered to pay £400. There will be another empty unit on Chester st soon.

I know the business that you refer to and this is seems a real shame. Incidentally, you mention rents. Regardless of the hyperbole and bull that is spewed out, I had a shop in the People’s Market until May. I tried to negotiate for additional space, my uptake being dependent on a reasonable rent offer. Sad to say, the negotiation broke down and I am now in Bank Street. The unit I rent there in the private sector and closer to the town footflow is £100.00 per month cheaper than the People’s Market and I have a larger space.

For those who want to see the Markets saved, understand the nature of the people who run them

Rondetto
    Participant

I know it’s wishful thinking, but it would have been great if M&S had have taken over the TJ’s store and come back into the town.

Alunh
    Participant

@Rondetto 7999 wrote:

I know it’s wishful thinking, but it would have been great if M&S had have taken over the TJ’s store and come back into the town.

Wouldn’t fit into M & S profile in 2013. They’ve identified car parking as a key element of their business because, by having it, they can sell food and they can attract middle class consumers. They know that people use cars to shop for big shops and, if you look at their recent openings (and closings) this is factored in. In both Prestatyn and Ellesmere Port there is excellent free parking right outside (like Tesco or Asda). In Wrexham town, there is no adjacent access.

Ironically, the idea of initially linking TJ’s with the People’s Market by a walkway above was based in this fact

wxm
    Participant

@Alunh 7981 wrote:

. . . Unfortunately, money being spent on the Market will be wasted if the following does not occur:
    1. Total upheaval of the Management
    2. Lower Rents
    3. The Market is not more obviously reintegrated into the Town
    . . .

I think everyone is agreed that this needs addressing . . .

jimbow
    Participant

The general opinion on here is that this needs addressing.The problem is the Council who can make this happen,are not prepared to listen and follow any suggestions of merit that are put forward.They still follow the same old path,spending our money without thinking it through.Good public money thrown at the Peoples Market which has no proper footfall will be a disaster.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News