TJHughes

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum TJHughes

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

At the last Forum meeting, I suggested that the Forum contact the owners of the development containing the former TJ Hughes store. The unit has now been placed back on the market and is being advertised by a local Chester Estates Agent. This means that whatever factors had held the marketing back have now been resolved and it might at some point be re-let.

From the perspective of the People’s Market, this is vital. Indeed, it is increasingly plain, that from the perspective of Chester Street, it is vital.

Proposals are in the pipeline and constitute part of Wrexham CBC’s plan to spend mucho spondola on the People’s Market. This is good. Unfortunately, money being spent on the Market will be wasted if the following does not occur:
    1. Total upheaval of the Management
    2. Lower Rents
    3. The Market is not more obviously reintegrated into the Town itself.

One element of the reintegration is TJ Hughes because without the foot-flow that comes through that unit, the money spent will be less effective.

My suggestion in the Forum pivoted on the idea that proposals be made to the owners/landlords of the development to induce them to consider putting a permanent arcade through the TJ Hughes building. In theory, this should be relatively low cost because there are no inner walls to tear down and glass doors on either side. Secondly, an arcade development would allow the unit to be let in 2 components (which might enhance letting potential or even revenue). Thirdly, it might, by creative methods, be possible to grease the developer’s wheels.

As an idea, I thought that it might run and the hypothesis be explored. In the meeting, I was ‘surprised’ that the Chair, Kevin Critchley of Eagles Meadow was extremely dismissive. In the meeting, I was surprised that Isobel Garner was not positively receptive to an idea. It generated no debate.

Reflecting on this episode afterwards, I started wondering whether it was me. Did my arrogant sense of self righteousness need to be re-reviewed and the reality of intellectual fallibility on a grand scale need to be recognised.

What saved the day a tad occurred after the meeting. A local Estate agent of considerable repute informed me that he was going to write to the developer’s agents on this very matter. I was not alone! Hoorah.

What then struck me was……………was there an agenda?

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I think your idea is brilliant. If it could also incorporate a sheltered link into the market it could entice shoppers to follow it and so increase the traffic into the market. I am not surprised the council were dismissive as they have shown a distinct lack of imagination lately.

Alunh
    Participant

Lately?

Alunh
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 7982 wrote:

I think your idea is brilliant. If it could also incorporate a sheltered link into the market it could entice shoppers to follow it and so increase the traffic into the market. I am not surprised the council were dismissive as they have shown a distinct lack of imagination lately.

I gather that this was the original intention…………………..ironically!

jimbow
    Participant

AlunH,
    I think your idea is the best and most imaginative suggestion to resolve the problems of the Peoples Market and Chester Street in one sweep.This in my opinion would breathe fresh air into that area without a doubt.I also for a long time have thought that there were hidden agendas.With regard to the Management of the Markets,my opinion is that despite what WCB say the Management will never change.The Town Centre Manager has not the experiance to come up with an idea like this.

wxm
    Participant

An excellent proposal. It will probably have to be worked up with other interested parties i.e. who owns what, and has rights to what.

If potential conflict exists with which parts of town to promote, then it sounds as if this needs to be transparently discussed now. This probably needs to lead to a “whole” plan for the town centre and its urbanised neighbourhoods. Footfall is often measured, leading to the better positioning suggested, and then further forecasts can be done to decide how to effectively develop the town.

Anyway, common sense needs to prevail, and if people have good proposals, we should back them. The town centre has always had competitive tension as to whether High Street / Hope Street, or top of Regent Street, was the prime area, and it sounds like it is now Eagles Meadow versus Hope Street and the old town centre. If so, this needs to be resolved now, transparently. Sounds as if the politicians should be closely involved to champion what is right.

zinger
    Participant

I understood that a walkway was originally planned for the Peoples Market before TJ’s was built. I had it in my mind that they were talking though about an overhead one. My memory could be playing tricks but there was certainly something about it. Would there be any problems to do with Chester Street being an actual Street? There are removable bollards at the ends aren’t there?

wxm
    Participant

[you wouldn’t want a walkway? want an open bustling street?]

Alunh
    Participant

@wxm 7986 wrote:

An excellent proposal. It will probably have to be worked up with other interested parties i.e. who owns what, and has rights to what.

If potential conflict exists with which parts of town to promote, then it sounds as if this needs to be transparently discussed now. This probably needs to lead to a “whole” plan for the town centre and its urbanised neighbourhoods. Footfall is often measured, leading to the better positioning suggested, and then further forecasts can be done to decide how to effectively develop the town.

Anyway, common sense needs to prevail, and if people have good proposals, we should back them. The town centre has always had competitive tension as to whether High Street / Hope Street, or top of Regent Street, was the prime area, and it sounds like it is now Eagles Meadow versus Hope Street and the old town centre. If so, this needs to be resolved now, transparently. Sounds as if the politicians should be closely involved to champion what is right.

I think that you are right to emphasise the whole picture, which we as citizens and dwellers of the town are keen to enhance. What perturbed me was the way in which a ‘common sense’ idea seemed to be dismissed so rapidly. The prevailing rhetoric emerging from Eagles Meadow is that its management is keen that developments should enhance the wider town on the premise that an enhanced town is advantageous to Eagles Meadow. At this moment, I have no reason to doubt that this is a sincere view and does make sense. Equally, I am not so naïve as to forget that the interests of different parties are different.

Alunh
    Participant

@zinger 7987 wrote:

I understood that a walkway was originally planned for the Peoples Market before TJ’s was built. I had it in my mind that they were talking though about an overhead one. My memory could be playing tricks but there was certainly something about it. Would there be any problems to do with Chester Street being an actual Street? There are removable bollards at the ends aren’t there?

I don’t think that you need to change the street layout at all. All that needs to occur is that the developers/landlords need to be ‘persuaded’ that it is in their interests to further develop their property. From their perspective, they might have nothing to lose. That part of town is struggling and other shops might well follow the recent evacuees. Retail has changed radically since the development occurred and it might well suit to revisit the layout. It is clear that both sides of TJHughes unit would be advantaged by a walk-through and it has to be in the interests of the town to grease the wheels. To be honest, this would be higher on my agenda than King Street and there is actually less to do here.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News