Thoughts On Wrexham’s Art & Cultural Hub?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Thoughts On Wrexham’s Art & Cultural Hub?

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

@BenjaminM 14997 wrote:

Just a note MP1953, not all of us are philistines and some of us do have horizons that extend beyond a pie and a pint.

Not many left in Wrexham Benjamin, most of the people that are attracted by “cultural portfolios” in Wrexham have long gone and replaced by people that are more attracted to pound shops, of which has all been brought on by years of poor decisions in Wrexham.. :rolleyes: ;););););) …..

A welcome addition to the sadly lacking cultural portfolio of Wrexham.

:):):):):):)

99DylanJones
    Participant

AlunH – Interesting you brought up about the theatre that was to have been built at the back of the library in partnership with Yale College — all of the funding was secured including a 7 figure Arts Council Grant and then at the very last minute OUR local Councilors of the time voted against the idea. This resulted in all of the approved funding from the Welsh Arts Council being rejected. Wrexham Council do not have a particularly good pedigree when it comes to the potential use of art and heritage funding.
    Kings Mill – opened by Lady Diana closed by Wrexham Council
    Lead Mines Minera — Heritage LOttery – closed by Wrexham Council — key from the museum
    Nant Mill – Opened by Wrexham Council — cut backs limited opening and a Friends of Nant Mill raising funds to keep open
    Bersham Heritage Centre – Opened by Wrexham Council — proposed closure without any community engagement.
    Museum– large space still not utilised on first floor — why cant it be a potential Arts Gallery –(probably it is the next building to be sold off by the Council– the property owner of the Regent St shops including St Marks Car Park, Regent St Methodist the way to by Waterstone and Little Theatre have provisionally had discussions about part demolition and apartments to be built — clearly the museum site is potentially part of the whole development.
    The Stwit — subsidy since day one – always discussed as Part 2 so no one is part of open debate or even knowledge.
    Ty Mawr — proposed car park charges whist the Friends have to raise funds to feed animals!
    Museum exhibits to possibly be sold — most of these have been donated by local benefactors and technically may not even belong to the Council.
    With the above just being a few of the ‘failures’ of the Council how on earth can we have confidence that this Arts/Culture Centre will not fall by the wayside at the first hurdle unless the Council hand over everything at this first stage of concept and leave the experts and those with enthusiasm. Hand over NOW before we the ratepayers of Wrexham are saddled with a liability we will all be paying for for years to come!!

jimbow
    Participant

@99DylanJones 15005 wrote:

With the above just being a few of the ‘failures’ of the Council how on earth can we have confidence that this Arts/Culture Centre will not fall by the wayside at the first hurdle unless the Council hand over everything at this first stage of concept and leave the experts and those with enthusiasm. Hand over NOW before we the ratepayers of Wrexham are saddled with a liability we will all be paying for for years to come!!

Dylan. I agree with the above.It has,and always will be in Wrexham,if you want anything to go wrong,get the Council involved.

Alunh
    Participant

Quite agree Dylan. The Council back at the theatre proposal time got intoxicated by the prospect of losing a Capital grant to build the Theatre. The PR exercise was similar to the one that I now see before my eyes concerning the People’s Market. It seemed fantastic that such a large figure would have been stumped up by Cardiff (or whoever at the time) and be used to build what the town actually seems to need. The projected entity was to be multi-purpose and have 400 seats. All the top artists would appear….the press said.

I promote and sell tickets for promotions. I knew this was all bull. A 400 seat sell out at £20 would only generate £8000, at £30, £12,000. The latest price I was quoted for (say) Billy Ocean was £20,000 + Vat. Llandudno has 1500 seats. At £20 a ticket, Llandudno can generate £30,000 income to offset cost. Even then, Llandudno struggles.

The truth is that once this “free” capital injection had been made available, the local tax payer would have been responsible for on-going cost and, eventually, have to make harsh choices.

On the People’s Market proposal, I have huge doubts. Firstly, I cannot get my head around the idea of a sophisticated Cultural base sitting side by side with the People’s Market. Does this make sense and will one component of the site undermine the other? I fear for both. Secondly, I am curious about the selection of this site when others would appear more logical. Thirdly, given the lack of economic reality that seems to permeate the Council, will the Centre just prove to be another cash drain (like Plas Madoc and like the Stiwt).

There are numerous other concerns that I have and I do intend to ask many questions on this subject where I can. It would appear, however, that a mindset is in play

99DylanJones
    Participant

Alun thank for your agreement with my Posting — glad that someone with event planning has shown that figures don’t stack– really concerned that the income streams for on going revenue have not been identified.
    The use of Monkey Survey is a brilliant way of avoiding face to face contact – yes there are two public viewing session but both are timed to suite Council Employees rather than members of the public who are involved with arts and culture who invariably do so in their spare time when not working.
    The following ink is to an extensive analysis of the Culture proposal circulated by the Council that has been put together by a number of very interested parties from Wrexham who want to see the best for Wrexham. It has already been circulated by Ruth from Wrexham Business Group

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B12b4waBkHmHYkRBdzNrdHRwSFE/edit?usp=sharing

jimbow
    Participant

I recall the PR from the Council about the plans for the Theatre.They were led by the then Head of Economic Development,who later became a Strategic Director.There were a lot of red faces when it was turned down.When you look at our present situation in Wrexham,I have concerns over the Market/Art Centre proposals.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I have read both the ‘extensive analysis’ cited by Dylan and the outline proposals illustrated in the consultation document compiled by WCBC.
    Regarding the former, it must be said, that if it is representative of the collective wisdom of ‘a number of very interested parties’ who have subscribed to a virtually unreadable and incomprehensible paragraph, then WCBC’s is, in comparison, the equivalent to the works of Dickens. If it is indeed indicative of the acumen of those in the private sector who could possibly be charged with overseeing the venture, it is doomed from the outset. Quite frankly, I have seen better analysis on the backs of fag packets.
    Regarding WCBC’s consultation document, from start to finish, it is small time. Nothing within the multiple choice proposals jump out as having credibility or facets that would enhance the cultural landscape of Wrexham.
    I am an advocate of the Arts and Culture, but have now reluctantly come to the conclusion that the whole idea should be shelved because if a job is worth doing, it should be done properly. The whole concept is purely to put another tick in the box, it lacks substance.
    Providing one facet of a town’s identity does not make it whole. It needs to be melded in with other pieces of the jigsaw that has been fashioned from a clear end goal , the product of a long term plan.
    For those that are indeed interested (including WCBC), I would recommend the Grimsey report on town centre regeneration which was produced as an alternative model to the widely discredited Mary Portas report. That might make a few alarm bells ring and allow Wrexham to move forward as an entity rather than the self serving platitudes we constantly read and hear.

Philip Osborne
    Participant

@Alunh 15012 wrote:

On the People’s Market proposal, I have huge doubts. Firstly, I cannot get my head around the idea of a sophisticated Cultural base sitting side by side with the People’s Market. Does this make sense and will one component of the site undermine the other? I fear for both.

These were my first thoughts, but seeing the proposed design for the stairwell/tower section of the building, and the rooftop cafe, it all started to remind me of this place: The New Art Gallery Walsall and I got quite excited about how striking it could look from the outside – although of course, at this stage, we have no idea what the inside will look like! Both in design and location, the Walsall gallery seems to set a precedent to show that it could work.

Some have suggested using The Groves site, but I don’t think that will work. Part of the motivation for these sorts of projects is to engage and educate people who would not normally be interested in the arts … the only way you can do that initially is by bringing it to them, because they won’t come to you! Placing it as close to the centre of town as possible opens up the opportunity to engage a lot more people, it also helps to revitalise that part of town. At The Groves, the only people to visit would have to go out of their way to make a conscious effort to visit – it will be school groups and existing art enthusiasts, noone else will go near the place.

The V&A in London once marketed itself as “An ace caff with quite a nice museum attached!” and that’s how you need to think if you want to get the general public to look at art and culture … give them a cup of tea and a nice place to meet friends, and then they’ll have a look at the pictures on the way in!

I noticed on the sketch plan that all the Holt Street side of the building which is currently brick walls and small windows is being opened up into glass frontages, the Chester Street side of the building features a large Market entrance that is incorporated into the new design. Bringing light, people and art into that part of the building which is currently a cold, dark, concrete space filled with second-hand furniture can only be good for business.

I wonder what the plan is for the floors in between … I don’t think a disconnected ground floor and roof space would work … but if every floor at that end of the building is being converted to form part of the space then not only do you end up with a cohesive, connected space, you also have room for exhibition space, conference space, education rooms, and perhaps even (as some have been discussing) a theatre space that could be opened up to allow for full height scenery and tiered seating! I don’t know how that would fit into the budget and/or the economics of running a theatre that size, but it’s a possibility.

Alunh
    Participant

I described myself above Philip as a waverer. Having lived through the King Street regeneration and the Bridge Street regeneration, I must confess to pessimism. If I thought that the plan was fully thought through and that it would be quickly run by some body outside of the Council with secure long term financing, I could easily be persuaded.

Katia
    Participant

@BenjaminM 15016 wrote:

For those that are indeed interested (including WCBC), I would recommend the Grimsey report on town centre regeneration which was produced as an alternative model to the widely discredited Mary Portas report. That might make a few alarm bells ring and allow Wrexham to move forward as an entity rather than the self serving platitudes we constantly read and hear.

If only Mr Grimsey could be given a tv series like Mary maybe then Mr Cameron would pay attention.

http://www.vanishinghighstreet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/GrimseyReview04.092.pdf

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News