Thoughts On Wrexham’s Art & Cultural Hub?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Thoughts On Wrexham’s Art & Cultural Hub?

• Author

I understand from reliable Council sources that if the Arts Centre does become a reality it would be managed by a not-for-profit trust, which would take over ownership of the building.
    The designs in the sketches were produced by a London firm of architects who won the contract to do a feasibility study.
    It seems unclear at present how much of the car park space would be needed by the new project. I am personally very concerned about this aspect of the project, as the People’s Market car park is a very important one for this part of town, although under-used at the moment since the changes to the charging regime.
    The sketches etc are only a concept, all of the fine detail is subject to change/revision even should the project go ahead… The big screen on the roof is supposed to be a temporary open-air cinema, the idea would be that it would be used for that purpose in the summer, and would revert to car park use in the busier pre-Christmas period. But only a concept, as I say!

99DylanJones
    Participant

One key point is being totally overlooked in this process that is the useage– the only guaranteed user at this stage is the move of the Council Art Gallery– surely the design should be based on the actual user and their specific needs. What is going on display is I would hope is a concept nit a done deal re the design. If they want it to be run by a Not for Profit organisation where is this group as ti the best of my knowledge (and I do have links with cultural groups) no one has yet been approached to take on the facility.
    This is being rushed through as the Council have a deadline with the Police to be out within a matter of couple of months.
    You only need to look at the fiasco in Colwyn Bay at the moment with a massive overspend on their waterfront project and demand for at least another £250k required to bring it up to speed for the restaurant to operate.
    This is not just about a building but what goes on and who manages- the brakes need to be applied now and time taken to give full consideration to all options including what would Coleg Cambria put forward as a proposal if £800k was available!

wrexview
    Participant

Is there any cost to the Council when they use Survey Monkey?

jimbow
    Participant

Could not some of the grant money be allocated to the purchase of T.J.Hughes.?Then as alluded to by Alunh some 12 months ago, the entrances of T.J.Hughes in Henblas Street and Chester Street could be joined by retail enterprises.The Gallery would fit comfortably into the rest of the premises along with the upstairs café area.Parking would be to the rear of the premises and the Peoples Market would benefit from the project without all the upheaval that will occur if the Gallery goes into the Peoples Market.Just a thought.

MP1953
    Participant

This topic is a joke Wrexham’s Art & Cultural Hub there’s far more important things for Wrexham to address than this, maybe it is with a view to start the city status nonsense again ;);)

BenjaminM
    Participant

Just a note MP1953, not all of us are philistines and some of us do have horizons that extend beyond a pie and a pint.
    A welcome addition to the sadly lacking cultural portfolio of Wrexham.

Alunh
    Participant

@jimbow 14983 wrote:

Could not some of the grant money be allocated to the purchase of T.J.Hughes.?Then as alluded to by Alunh some 12 months ago, the entrances of T.J.Hughes in Henblas Street and Chester Street could be joined by retail enterprises.The Gallery would fit comfortably into the rest of the premises along with the upstairs café area.Parking would be to the rear of the premises and the Peoples Market would benefit from the project without all the upheaval that will occur if the Gallery goes into the Peoples Market.Just a thought.

Can’t agree Jim……though I would use leverage (if possible) to create a walkway through T J Hughes.

Alunh
    Participant

@BenjaminM 14997 wrote:

Just a note MP1953, not all of us are philistines and some of us do have horizons that extend beyond a pie and a pint.
    A welcome addition to the sadly lacking cultural portfolio of Wrexham.

I agree that a dedicated centre would be useful. Personally, I would prefer to see more coherence about this and a long term plan with perhaps the Museum and other heritage/arts type of offer involved. Also location is everything. Any thoughts or do you incline towards the Peoples Market)?

Alunh
    Participant

@MP1953 14995 wrote:

This topic is a joke Wrexham’s Art & Cultural Hub there’s far more important things for Wrexham to address than this, maybe it is with a view to start the city status nonsense again ;);)

As currently addressed, it does appear to have flaws. I remember when the Theatre project was floated with its “State of the Art” PR and 400 capacity. This was done because there were financing grants available yet a 400 seat theatre would never have been financially viable (Llandudno has 1500 seats, Glyndwr 990). Snatching at these grants has to make more than impact logic because 10 years down the line they will be white elephants (and like Plas Madoc, financial burdens). I sense that a Cultural hub on the People’s Market site will undermine the Market, compromise the Car Park, and become a financial burden.

That said, I am a waverer and I could be persuaded by a properly argued, carefully priced business plan

wrexview
    Participant

Apparently there were five buildings identified as potential venues for the New Arts Hub,all were scored against a set of criteria, including :-
    1. Space
    2. Location
    3. Uniqueness
    4.Costs
    5 Income generation

The People’s Market came out as the preferred option, however the other four locations have not been disclosed. How can the public be confident the right decisions are being made when they don’t have the full facts? If you want uniqueness then you would have chosen Waterworld !

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News