The voting record of Wrexham’s Parliamentary elected Representative.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The voting record of Wrexham’s Parliamentary elected Representative.

• Author

TimRegency
    Participant

Obviously, how our elected Parliamentary representative votes, either for or against proposed new laws and amendments, is important information for the population of Wrexham, as it has a direct effect on our lives. I, for one, like to be confident that our interests are being well served. Here’s a source of information from ‘They Work for You’ :

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25810/sarah_atherton/wrexham

You may note how Ms Atherton voted on protecting the NHS here:

https://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.php?date=2020-07-20&house=commons&number=80

Alunh
    Participant

Interesting

My understanding of these things (which is limited) is that the Government, indeed any Government, determines what elements of the NHS are open to the private sector. Accordingly, there has been since its inception a State/Private sector component of delivery. As you will be aware, Blair let elements of the NHS become open to private sector activity. The world of dentistry is an interesting one and Harold Wilson actually resigned from Atlee’s Government over the public-private split.

Which leads me on to the point. In a trade deal, which the UK is hoping to strike with a range of countries, one stumbling block (amongst many) is the refusal of the negotiating parties to allow their new found trade buddies access to that component of what is “private” and, in effect, exclude the partner from the “market” in such goods and services.

That does not mean that anyone is selling off anything to anybody, it just means that when a country is, will opportunities be open or closed.

The problem with these type of clauses is that they hack off negotiating parties and it doesn’t necessarily pay to over-burden the negotiations with such restrictions. Ultimately, if any Government is stupid enough to start pulling saleable NHS assets out of the hat, the electorate will punish them.

I happily stand to be corrected

WreX-iT
    Participant

I AM VERY SORRY TIMREGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you sayin’ that “I, for one, like to be confident that our interests are being well served” and finally saying something nice of your Parliamentary Rep and giving the big thumbs up and approving Mrs Atherton’s work has made me see you ain’t a one party pony.

Now I feel crap about all the bad stuff I said. That’s very fair seeing both sides of the coin.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have always been surprised by how many people don’t check on the voting history of their representatives as they are supposed to do what is best for their constituents.
    Or should their vote reflect the will of their constituents or the will of the political party they are a member of?
    So far Ms Atherton has voted as the Whips have instructed and she has not given any impression that she will rock the Tory boat.

Alunh
    Participant

This particular motion was just about optics, nothing more. No one wants to go into a vital negotiation process with aspects of the leverage cobbled for political reasons. Hardly surprisingly, the Wrexham MP stuck with the party line and by the look of the post so too did the wider party.

This looks like a nothing issue…….unless of course, you want to just play political games

Anonymous
    Inactive

“This looks like a nothing issue…….unless of course, you want to just play political games”
    Says the person who has commented twice on “a nothing issue”
    Just saying.

Alunh
    Participant

A nothing issue in the order of things can still be very interesting.

Just saying

Captain C
    Participant

Please, please, pretty please Ms Atherton do not cough or you will be accused of spreading the virus all by yourself. For Gods sake everhard stop slagging off somebody just because she is not of the party that you voted for. Ian Lucas voted against Brexit even though his own town voted for it, did you complain then?

WreX-iT
    Participant

Captain C don’t say anything against neverhard and point out the bleeding obvious cos he calls it bullying.

Also neverhard how dare you cheek Alunh/ Phil Collins who has genuine insight into Wrexham and is a cult hero. He would make a great councillor and would get a load of votes.

Sorry, I must be going

Alunh
    Participant

Why, thank you Wrex-iT. I trust that sincerity oozed through your keyboard when typing those words.

I obviously touched a nerve…..to have the temerity to point out the obvious. Sarah Atherton, who was voted on a Brexit platform, has voted in support of the Government, on a matter where the Opposition party, now led by the biggest Remainer in British politics, has tried to hobble the likely trade deal with the US.

My explanation, rather than the so-called comment that Everard presumed I was making, was merely for those people who laboured under the misapprehension that the NHS was “on the table” courtesy of any likely agreement with the US. This was never the issue. What is the issue, however, is leaving the EU. Leaving the EU seamlessly….and with the leverage to cut trade deals across the world…..will be achieved by having things to offer prospective trading partners. Rather like our current EU partners, foreign powers will want access to building HS2, our next generation of Nuclear Plants, et al. This is how trade deals work. Since Huskisson passed the 1823 Reciprocity of Trades Act, reciprocation has been the order of the day.

Just saying

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

“Lots of Wrexham routes make perfect sense for review” – Ken Skates on 20 MPH

News

Eisteddfod proclamation on Saturday will be ‘full of colour’

News

“Constructive” meeting over odour complaints at Hafod landfill

News

Hundreds facing cancer treatment delays as waiting times hit second-worst on record

News

Thrilling new water park to waves in North Wales seaside town

News

Nationwide ban on wet wipes containing plastic set to be introduced

News