The Mayor

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Mayor

• Author

Iceman
    Participant

The Mayor should be unpaid. All they seem to do is take it in turns to be Mayor.

dewi73
    Participant

@Iceman 11295 wrote:

The Mayor should be unpaid. All they seem to do is take it in turns to be Mayor.

agreed, the Mayor of Wrexham is selected from the ‘Ancient Fraternal order of Mystic Mooseheads’ or some other closed shop outfit.

Metalhead
    Participant

I was referring to the budget in general not just the wage. I agree with most that the current spend is obscene, surely there is scope to cut that significantly?

DR
    Participant

Bumping this back up as nominations for the new Mayor are going before the Full Council on this week:

‘Nominations’ For Wrexham’s New Mayor | Wrexham.com

99DylanJones
    Participant

The Mayor clearly has a role within the community and actually gives a lot of happiness and praise to the 100’s of people they see each year. That said the role and the function is fine the cost is however expensive and perhaps many of the groups visited would prefer to receive a £100 rather than a visit.
    The civic function of chairing the full Council Meeting is nothing more than a formality as we have seen in recent weeks the Full Council has no powers whatsoever it is purely about the Executive so why cant the role be changed to one of Chairman of the Council to include the role of Leader as well- Two for the price of one!!

Iceman
    Participant

The only position of Mayor with any credibility is one where they have been voted in by the public as the Mayor. I fail to see how anybody could get excited about a visit from a councillor whose turn it is to be Mayor. It seems to me that the present system is nothing more than a popularity contest amonst councillors.

MP1953
    Participant

Iceman

oh, and there should be more Welsh language schools in Wrexham.

More likely to be more Polish schools ;);)

Alunh
    Participant

@Iceman 12372 wrote:

The only position of Mayor with any credibility is one where they have been voted in by the public as the Mayor. I fail to see how anybody could get excited about a visit from a councillor whose turn it is to be Mayor. It seems to me that the present system is nothing more than a popularity contest amonst councillors.

Robert Michels developed a theory in 1911 which would cover our current approach to the office of Mayor. His theory about the ‘Iron law of Oligarchy’ explained how small groups come to develop an almost elite club like approach to power if the wider public are not careful. Whilst I don’t see anything sinister about local politics I think Iceman is absolutely correct in expressing a preference for an elective position as far better than the current ‘rewarding’ approach. We must move our thinking forward in Wrexham about the way we govern OURSELVES and expect value for money at every turn. Democratic progress demands checks and balances and whilst the Mayor could well be a check on Council largesse (if it was ever the case), the fact of an elected office provides an additional check for the voting public.

johnhoppy
    Participant

Whilst USA politics has many shortcomings, their system of electing everyone from the Mayor to the Dog-catcher has its merits. Perhaps we should try it.

Iceman
    Participant

@Alunh 12380 wrote:

Robert Michels developed a theory in 1911 which would cover our current approach to the office of Mayor. His theory about the ‘Iron law of Oligarchy’ explained how small groups come to develop an almost elite club like approach to power if the wider public are not careful. Whilst I don’t see anything sinister about local politics I think Iceman is absolutely correct in expressing a preference for an elective position as far better than the current ‘rewarding’ approach. We must move our thinking forward in Wrexham about the way we govern OURSELVES and expect value for money at every turn. Democratic progress demands checks and balances and whilst the Mayor could well be a check on Council largesse (if it was ever the case), the fact of an elected office provides an additional check for the voting public.

This is really interesting. Imthink it also applies to some large organisations where your face has to fit to progress…..

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Youngsters create new garden for Wrexham’s Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service

News

McElhenney And Reynolds Will Continue Wrexham Progress

News

Wrexham students dig in to create peace garden at local care home

News

Hundreds take part in inaugural 5k and 10k race in aid of Wrexham-based hospice

News

College students hosting Wrexham football themed charity dinner for local causes

News

RSPCA urges a radical rethink of animals’ rights as part of ‘For Every Kind’ campaign

News