The Groves School – Structure and Condition

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Groves School – Structure and Condition

• Author

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=107287]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-35485728

Poor write up by the BBC, out of date photo and a short lazy report.

[/quote]

The BBC were not there, only Wrexham.com and the Leader. Previously they have said they ring through to get vote results, or check @wrexham twitter!

On an unrelated note, The Daily Post is looking for help if anyone can tell them when Pancake Day or Easter is :)

Councillor X
    Participant

Whatever your feelings on the outcome of the great Groves debate, I would like to thank Wrexham.com for such in depth coverage of the meeting, especially as some of us could not be present in an official capacity and there was no webcast available.
    Great local reporting, my hat has been taken off to you!

Councillor X

wrexview
    Participant

Time for standing orders to be re written Councillor X ? I am sure the public would expect their local Councillor to speak at any meeting they choose to attend , shocking that a number were denied that opportunity yesterday. The flaw in the present system is all the power in in the hands of the Excectuive Board, making the other forty odd Councillors totally powerless!

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=107305]Time for standing orders to be re written Councillor X ? I am sure the public would expect their local Councillor to speak at any meeting they choose to attend , shocking that a number were denied that opportunity yesterday. The flaw in the present system is all the power in in the hands of the Excectuive Board, making the other forty odd Councillors totally powerless!

[/quote]
    Completely agree with you there, very few had their chance to put forward the views of their constituents!

Noted that Ian Lucas’ petition for “the House to urge WCBC to not to demolish Groves School” didn’t achieve its purpose.

At 10,000 signatures the government will respond
    At 100,000 the petition will be considered for debate in parliament …..
    Ian managed 112 … Not 112,000 just 112!

Perhaps there wasn’t that much demand to save the building after all!

R T
    Keymaster

It will be interesting to see if there are any proposals put forward to extend publication times of documents, allow call ins to table amendments and allow ‘significant’ buildings to get special treatment.

Welsh Government rules appear to be the legal basis for operation, however I would imagine that is the minimum required rather than absolute. Does anyone know?

Adam
    Participant

[quote quote=107310]

Time for standing orders to be re written Councillor X ? I am sure the public would expect their local Councillor to speak at any meeting they choose to attend , shocking that a number were denied that opportunity yesterday. The flaw in the present system is all the power in in the hands of the Excectuive Board, making the other forty odd Councillors totally powerless!

Completely agree with you there, very few had their chance to put forward the views of their constituents!

Noted that Ian Lucas’ petition for “the House to urge WCBC to not to demolish Groves School” didn’t achieve its purpose.

At 10,000 signatures the government will respond
    At 100,000 the petition will be considered for debate in parliament …..
    Ian managed 112 … Not 112,000 just 112!

Perhaps there wasn’t that much demand to save the building after all!

[/quote]

I’ve no doubt it was a sincere oversight not to mention the 2000+ online and paper signatories…

Although I’m a little surprised by your dismissal of 112 as insignificant.. surely WCBC would consider this figure as a successful public consultation?

Perhaps you could remind the audience once again, what was the figure of public respondents deemed sufficient for you to forge ahead with a £1,5m capital investment, followed by a 10 year £900k deficit, in the Peoples Market Arts Hub..? Did you break through the magic 112 figure?

You know, I initially had you down as a common or garden forum troll but little splashes of illiteracy interlaced with nuggets of miscalculated smugness can only point towards you being a member of the executive board..

Councillor X
    Participant

Adam

An excellent post, it made me laugh on a grim Wrexham morning!

When mentioning obvious cock ups, its a good job everyone has forgotten Wrexham missing out on city status to St Asaph as part of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Wrexham Council went ahead with the city status bid despite members of the public voting almost two to one against it in a consultation. I think it cost us around £20,000 to put in a losing bid.

With this in mind, do you REALLY think that the Council would have listened to the public?

Democracy must be built through open societies that share information. When there is information, there is enlightenment. When there is debate, there are solutions. When there is no sharing of power, no rule of law, no accountability, there is abuse, corruption, subjugation and indignation.

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

[quote quote=107359]Adam

An excellent post, it made me laugh on a grim Wrexham morning!

When mentioning obvious cock ups, its a good job everyone has forgotten Wrexham missing out on city status to St Asaph as part of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Wrexham Council went ahead with the city status bid despite members of the public voting almost two to one against it in a consultation. I think it cost us around £20,000 to put in a losing bid.

With this in mind, do you REALLY think that the Council would have listened to the public?

Democracy must be built through open societies that share information. When there is information, there is enlightenment. When there is debate, there are solutions. When there is no sharing of power, no rule of law, no accountability, there is abuse, corruption, subjugation and indignation.

[/quote]from wind up merchant to philosopher in one swoop . What a great summation of democracy in Wrexham council that last paragraph is.!

DerekJackson
    Participant

Andrew – were you not part of the ruling group that decoded to press a head with the City status bid–

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

[quote quote=107389]Andrew – were you not part of the ruling group that decoded to press a head with the City status bid–

[/quote]Hi Derek
    As the city bid referred to was the Queens Diamond Jubillee in 2012 and the ignoring of the vote that preceded it the answer is NO I WAS’NT.

A) I was not on the council May 2008-2012
    B) The council in this period was Lib-Dem led & yellow has never been my colour.

Personally speaking have always been a bit of a non fan of city status, rather concentrate on WCBC getting it right!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News