The Groves School – Structure and Condition

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Groves School – Structure and Condition

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

Why is it that Councillors who had been part of the Executive in the past with Labour are now coming out to save the Groves– why didn’t they act when they had the chance to have stopped the deterioration and get the building back to use.
    I wonder if it has anything to do with it being a Welsh Government election year and Local Government next year!! Pre election stand on issues that have been neglected for moire than 10 years.

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=106622]
    The application, which by the way is HEAVILY REDACTED, is a prior notice,
    and the only thing in question is: what form the demolition will take and
    in what way it will be carried out.
    [/quote]

Just a note on the redaction , it is pretty standard stuff on applications to keep what I would imagine is personally identifiable information private from the internet. I *think* but would have to check if you go in person to see the applications it is not concealed.

Pinky02
    Participant

https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/key_docs/constitution_2015.pdf

Article 1 – The Constitution Wrexham County Borough Council
    2. support the active involvement of citizens in the process of local authority decision-making;

Article 2
    2.03 Roles and functions of all councillors
    (a) Key roles. All councillors will:

(ii) represent their communities and bring their views into the Council’s decision- making process;
    (iv) balance different, often conflicting, interests identified within the electoral division and represent the electoral division as a whole;

It seems this decision has been rushed through without any consultation with the public. The local member for this ward spoke up at the executive board meeting but her words fell on deaf ears. Wrexham Council are becoming more and more distanced from the electorate and it will continue until they start listening to residents.

Here is one of the latest consultations:-

What is Important to You? – Council Plan Consultation
    We want to find out what is important to you…

What do you want to see more of in Wrexham?
    What do you want to see less of?
    What do you want to start happening?
    What do you want to stop happening?

The Council has a plan that sets out what we want to achieve to make Wrexham a better place. Every year the Council refreshes this plan. We want the plan to be right, so we want to hear from local people.

Is it any wonder that the council do not get a lot of responses to these! Do they listen?

Adam
    Participant

Ah yes, unless of course it is a decision taken by the executive board, in this case your opinion is not required.

Have a look at the council’s complaints manager’s reply on the Save Grove Park Facebook page :

“Thank you for your email. Unfortunately this matter is a policy decision approved at the Council’s Executive Board and therefore does not fall within the remit of the Complaints Procedure.”

Grove Park School Wrexham Preservation Society

wrexview
    Participant

Do they still need permission from the planning committee before they begin demolition?

Councillor X
    Participant

Earlier this month, Wrexham Council’s executive board voted unanimously in favour of proposals to demolish the building on Powell Road.

Other options had been discussed, such as demolishing part of the building but retaining the facade at a cost of £418,000, as well as an extra £155,000 per year to protect it while waiting for development to go ahead, and retaining and mothballing the site at a cost of £375,000.

I think we can all do the maths here ………….. in a time when Council’s need to account for every penny, we have to put purse strings above sentiment. Flattening the building will only cost £246,000

Very sad but don’t blame me, blame the Tories …. and those who voted for them! Good old David and his demands for posterity!!!

Rohelendus
    Participant

Councillor X,
    I would like to see a breakdown of those figures.

Also doing the maths …
    Protecting the facade is virtually the same as ‘mothballing’,
    so why the two amounts?
    Again, the figures give no clarity, no evidence of costing or
    perhaps ‘guestimation’.

Not satisfactory, seriously the executive board need educating.

Looking at the wording of your post above is it possible that
    you are a member of the executive board?

Thank you for adding the above information to the thread.

wrexview
    Participant

Why the huge difference between the £40,000 cost for parts already demolished and £246,000 for the remainder of the buildings? I notice some materials are to be removed by “hand” , presumably the slates and such like that will have reclamation value this should give extra income!

MP1953
    Participant

Daave63
    Participant

Well I accept your thanks.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News