The Groves School – Structure and Condition

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Groves School – Structure and Condition

• Author

Rohelendus
    Participant

[quote quote=107752]Im no building expert, but ART DECOR??

[/quote]

Exactly Daave63 .. you are no expert. Take time off from the net
    and maybe study something.

Daave63
    Participant

Exactly Daave63 .. you are no expert. Take time off from the net

[/quote]
    Listen Rhollend, let me spell it out for you – Fcuk fof and get your head out of your own arse, sit back and learn: Off the top of my head, the school was founded in 1895 and the construction of the new red brick buildings facing Chester Road opened in 1902.
    In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s a large extensions in the form of a new gym, science block and classrooms was added, and a domestic science block was added in 1972.
    It retained the name Grove Park until it closed in 1983 when its pupils and staff were absorbed into the Groves High School.

V
    Art Deco is an influential visual arts design style that first appeared in France just before World War I and began flourishing internationally in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s before its popularity waned after World War II.
    Apart from anything else, look at the dates 1895 – 1902 – 1950 – 1960 – 1972 v 1914 – 1920 – 1930 – 1940! Need I say more, and while I agree there is an art deco staircase and hallway inside, that means nowt, as my house has French windows but it is no chateau!!
    Good job you weren’t around when the built the new bus station or you would have cemented over the cracks and decay and called it a classic – although admittedly the canteen and bogs were art deco!

Alunh
    Participant

I went to Wilmington, North Carolina in the autumn. This is a faded town that people had written off. Many local people took the correct view that you could go like lemmings into total decline or stand up and revive your town. Our tour group met local personality the very aged Bob Jenkins. His view was that the new and the old had to be cultivated hand in hand if tourism and prosperity was to return. In terms of historic buildings he argued “One, don’t tear anything down. Two, maintain the character of what’s here. And three, use it, but use it creatively”.

Of course, if you have no sense of history and architectural beauty this message is not for you. Whilst I understand the facts of the past mis-management of this plot, and the fact that silly money has been spent, why oh why is demolition not the last option when others have been put on the table

wrexview
    Participant

Who in the Council will feel threatened by paper hearts blowing in the wind tomorrow? If they are removed which individual will give out that order?

Rohelendus
    Participant

[quote quote=107773]Exactly Daave63 .. you are no expert. Take time off from the net

[/quote]
    Listen Rhollend, let me spell it out for you – Fcuk fof and get your head out of your own arse, sit back and learn: Off the top of my head, the school was founded in 1895 and the construction of the new red brick buildings facing Chester Road opened in 1902.
    In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s a large extensions in the form of a new gym, science block and classrooms was added, and a domestic science block was added in 1972.
    It retained the name Grove Park until it closed in 1983 when its pupils and staff were absorbed into the Groves High School.

V

*Chuckles*… spell it out… can you spell? You are so easy to bait. Why not instead of disrupting serious threads, instead try offering reasoned, educated and positive offerings?
    It is obvious you want attention, why not try getting it using positive thoughts instead of piss taking comments. Comments which are really not funny, not humorous, but rather sad, when others are trying to be constructive. Try it… you may find that people will take your words seriously then.
    Incidentally your statements about Art Deco buildings is not totally correct, as Art Deco is not widely represented in the UK. Your statement about the Girls Grove Park school is incorrect, that was designed by the County Architect of the time and is in Art Deco style. The build was started in approximately 1937/38 and the school was opened in 1939. Try being positive, you have enough intelligence I am sure. Note: this is not meant as demeaning advice, but rather as helpful. Kind regards Rohelendus.

Art Deco is an influential visual arts design style that first appeared in France just before World War I and began flourishing internationally in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s before its popularity waned after World War II.
    Apart from anything else, look at the dates 1895 – 1902 – 1950 – 1960 – 1972 v 1914 – 1920 – 1930 – 1940! Need I say more, and while I agree there is an art deco staircase and hallway inside, that means nowt, as my house has French windows but it is no chateau!!
    Good job you weren’t around when the built the new bus station or you would have cemented over the cracks and decay and called it a classic – although admittedly the canteen and bogs were art deco!

[/quote]

wrexview
    Participant

Wrexham Council state the Groves site will be used for educational purposes ,it would be helpful,if they would confirm that refers to the whole site and not just the footprint of the present buildings.

Captain C
    Participant

In my life time Wrexham has lost many beautiful buildings and this is history repeating it self.

Save the quality buildings such as the Grove Park School for future generations and for Gods sake council officers listen to the people who vote at the elections or you will be out of work before you know it.

zinger
    Participant

I hope that any building that goes onto this site whether utilising the old school or not, will be built to the same standards as applied to building the original school in the 1930’s. That it will last for 80 years plus not 30 years as appears to be the norm nowadays. That it will be a building to be proud of where people will be prepared to fight for it’s survival at the end of that time. Wonderful what new central heating and rewiring can do.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Perhaps the site will be used to retrain Councillors who have found themselves being knocked off their position in the great ivory towers in the Guildhall.
    I hope many of the objectors will look to convert their energy into standing against the single minded Executive Board.
    Remember who authorised the removal of the ribbons and banner. The back of the Save the Groves banner says ‘Everything must go’ — perhaps it should be changed to ‘Everyone must go’. The electorate have their chance in 2017- the building may be gone but deciding how to use the land may still be in the gift of the protesters..

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=107773]Exactly Daave63 .. you are no expert. Take time off from the net

[/quote]

V
    [/quote]

FYI

Bromfield High School, Pen y Maes Avenue
    In 1972, following the adoption of comprehensive education by Denbighshire County Council, Grove Park County Grammar School for Girls merged with Grove Park County Grammar School for Boys to form two new mixed-sex comprehensive schools — Grove Park School and Bromfield High School.
    Bromfield was accommodated in the buildings of the former girls school and served the Chester Road, Maes y Dre and Queens Park areas.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News