The greatest concert / band ever to have played in Wrexham?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The greatest concert / band ever to have played in Wrexham?

• Author

Katia
    Participant

One of the more historically interesting but also topical performers to appear in Wrexham may be Paul Robeson at the Hippodrome.
    Film director Steve McQueen is planning to follow 12 Years A Slave, Kanye West, with a Robeson bio-pic having been inspired as a teenager hearing tales of a black activist from America singing in Wales to support miners.

Director Steve McQueen Working on ‘Dream Project’: Film About Activist, Entertainer Paul Robeson

Turning the topic around, there was a Mercury prize non-nomination BBC2 tv interview with La Roux’s Elly Jackson this year, whilst promoting Trouble In Paradise she was asked what was her favourite ever gig ?
    Her choice was back in 2009 at Central Station in Wrexham.

Metalhead
    Participant

Clear winner for me is Sylosis, we’ve had the pleasure of the best British metal act since Maiden playing our little town on a couple of occasions, sadly few seemed to care. Alestorm, Ash & FFAF were great nights too, went home with a smile on my face from all of those.

Ferret
    Participant

Declan Swans obvs….

morri58
    Participant

I remember going to see Thin Lizzy at the William Aston Hall but they failed to turn up, Medicine Head who had just had 3 hit singles took over the headline slot with local band Fagin taking over the support, it was a great night. Also at the same venue was Geordie whose lead singer was none other than AC/DC’s Brian Johnson. Another band I really enjoyed in Wrexham at Central Station was Company of Snakes which featured 3 original members of Whitesnake. The Saw Doctors also put on 2 great shows at Central Station.

beedar
    Participant

I was at the Geordie concert in 1973, only a third full but a great night

Fugazi3973
    Participant

Fish playing Central Station back in 2003

steveg
    Participant

Stackridge in 1974. Let there be lids!

gogledd
    Participant

After thinking about this topic a bit more I remembered a gig I went to see in the old Cartrefle College on Cefn Road featuring XTC (well before they were “Making Plans For Nigel”) – probably 1977 or 78

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote quote=104930]Clear winner for me is Sylosis, we’ve had the pleasure of the best British metal act since Maiden playing our little town on a couple of occasions, sadly few seemed to care. Alestorm, Ash & FFAF were great nights too, went home with a smile on my face from all of those.

[/quote]

Alestorm were very good, but we’ve also had Napalm Death, Exodus, Kiuas, Chthonic, Skindred and loads more in recent years. Sadly Central Station doesn’t put many decent Metal bands on these days, they all go to Chester Live Rooms instead..

morri58
    Participant

I also remember seeing XTC at Cartefle collage, really good night that was. They used to have some good bands on there from time to time. A good one there also was a French band Little Bob Story & Also a folk type group Plexus who were also well loved by the students.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News