The greatest concert / band ever to have played in Wrexham?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The greatest concert / band ever to have played in Wrexham?

• Author

caergwrle58
    Participant

Having been to last night’s concert at Glyndwr Univerity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KObiKnHxLg&feature=youtu.be I was wondering who visitors to wrexham.com consider to be the greatest band ever to have graced our fair town. It certainly was a privilege to see Shed Seven last night supported by the Inspiral Carpets.

dagg
    Participant

I remember seeing Johnny Kid and the Pirates at the Hippodrome and Medicine Head at the William Aston hall, also Ray Davies at the same venue.

Alunh
    Participant

I would imagine that Ray Davies must rank as one of the greatest names in pop music to play in Wrexham. The Kinks were massive and so influential. Oddly, I would imagine that the Waterboys must deserve a claim to be one of the biggest draws to the town as well as the Levellers. Super Furry Animals packed them in in the William Aston Hall a few years ago and Twisted Sister and Motorhead graced the Racecourse. The Troggs, the Searchers and Jigsaw played Fibreglass Social Club, whilst the Foundations have played the Memo. Robert Plant at Yales, the Saw Doctors at the same are both contenders.

That said, one of the biggest bands of the 80s are due in the William Aston Hall on April 8th; the legendary Christians…supported by Luke Gallagher…..and there have been so many more

Alunh
    Participant

Someone should list them all…….Denny Laine in the Miners….did you miss that one? Duffy in Central Station? Sweet Sensation in the Memo? Jimmy James and the Vagabonds in the Memo? Magic Numbers, the Kooks, etc etc

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Robert Plant at Central Stn. 2000 or 2001.

Daave63
    Participant

Sweet at the Hippodrome 1970’s

velvet phil
    Participant

My best concert in wrexham has to be the night John cale came to Central station. I have seen many concerts all over the country but none had the electric atmosphere of this one.not forgetting Ian hunter who has already been here twice can’t wait till he’s here again next month

gogledd
    Participant

Weren’t Thin Lizzy supposed to play William Aston Hall but they cried off and Medicine HEad took the headline spot?
    I remember seeing The Ting Tings at Central Station supporting New Young Pony Club
    Dreadzone were brilliant at the same venue.
    One of my favourite bands to visit were the Big Town Playboys who played at The Talbot.
    Another visitor to the Talbot on was Wilko Johnson, a very poor turnout but he played as if he was headlining Glastonbury – absolutely awesome.

dagg
    Participant

Yes I remember that about Thin Lizzy, people where asked if they wanted a refund some took up the offer.

Ferret
    Participant

Ben E King at Fagins. Jr Walker & the all Stars / KC & the Sunshine Band at the Racecourse.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News