The Drifters at Glyndwr University

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Drifters at Glyndwr University

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

Last night I went to watch the latest incarnation of the Drifters at the William Aston Hall. They were excellent and the atmosphere was brilliant. Whilst there is no longer a Ben E King or Clyde McPhatter, Johnnie Moore or Bill Fredericks, the band have been crafted over the years to deliver an authentic rehash of the great catalogue that is the Drifters.

Unfortunately, as per normal, there was a crowd that numbered no more than perhaps 400 people in the Hall. No circle was opened, and the rear part of the Auditorium was blocked off with a black screen.

Now the optimists amongst you might cynically say that the poor turnout was due to the fact that there were no originals amongst the line-up. That, of course, might stand up if the same outfit went to other comparable venues and were subject to the same theatre fill. Llandudno and Rhyl regularly put on similar groups to the Drifters and, indeed, I watched another line-up perhaps 4 or 5 years ago in Llandudno play to a sell-out crowd.

Rhyl and Llandudno are not the largest towns in North Wales with a hinterland including Chester, Whitchurch, Oswestry, and Mold. It really is a classic shame that Wrexham’s track record with events is so poor.

The truth is that Marketing of the town, of the William Aston Hall and of other event centres still remains in the dark ages. Going into the theatre last night made me despair. The place has a worse décor than the People’s Market, no in your face advertising of forthcoming events, no attempt to capture data for a marketing assault via email. Surely we can do better than this

johnhoppy
    Participant

I must admit that I am not a great fan of the William Aston Hall. I recently attended the Max Boyce show there and I found the accoustics to be poor, and a loop system for Hearing Aids appeared to be non-existant (is there one?). It would take some persuading for me to spend my money on another show there.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I have been to a couple of shows there recently and I enjoyed them. I am going again in October. It might be that I am easily pleased. :D

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Marketing is the key. Its all about the Wrexham brand……There isn’t one. Great shame.

Alunh
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 9161 wrote:

I have been to a couple of shows there recently and I enjoyed them. I am going again in October. It might be that I am easily pleased. :D

Many of the shows on there are excellent and very enjoyable. With a theatre twice as big as the Severn Theatre in Shrewsbury, however, we should have mini-major acts and full houses. Full houses require more than enjoyable acts, they require Marketing. Advertising is one small part of Marketing and it is Marketing in all its complex forms that is needed

Alunh
    Participant

@thunderbirdskid 9162 wrote:

Marketing is the key. Its all about the Wrexham brand……There isn’t one. Great shame.

Totally agreed!!

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I find out what’s on without marketing. Are the people of Wrexham incapable of finding out for themselves? I do agree that with more promotion the shows might be better attended but when I went to see a well known comedian the place was packed.

Alunh
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 9172 wrote:

I find out what’s on without marketing. Are the people of Wrexham incapable of finding out for themselves? I do agree that with more promotion the shows might be better attended but when I went to see a well known comedian the place was packed.

As with all things, X number of people will seek it out and Y number of people need spoon feeding. If you are content to have X amount attend then the status quo is ok.

That said, Marketing is not just about advertising. It is about assessing the potential audience for the William Aston Hall and structuring a program, facilities and décor to suit that client base. The bar alone is out of the ark and needs transforming let alone the pre-Hippodrome seating. It’s like being on Ryanair

morri58
    Participant

It’s always the same in Wrexham, lots of shows poorly attended. Hardly any advertising, how do people know things are on in the town if they are not advertised on posters or the local papers here & the surrounding areas. Feel sorry for the artists playing to sparse audience, hardly encourage them to come to the town again.

NJones
    Participant

I’ve booked tickets to many shows at the William Aston Hall and on a few occasions my money has been returned due to cancelled shows as a result of low sales. This is a result of poor marketing on the university’s behalf. They have some excellent resources but do not make good use of them. Judging by the recent press releases it appears their marketing team is more concerned with patting themselves on the back than actually doing anything useful.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News