The Clowncil blunders again!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Clowncil blunders again!

• Author

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

Recycling and bin collection calendars now available to download – postal copies no longer being sent out

Cllr David A. Bithell, lead member for environment and transport, said: “As a growing number of Wrexham residents are now online via smartphones and tablets, we want to make sure residents are aware that they can get their waste and recycling collection calendars online.

“It’s incredibly simple to do and won’t take five minutes of your time, but can save residents from missing bin collections.”

A growing number of residents are now online – yes – but by no means all! Incredibly simple? Not if you don’t have access to the internet!

Another massive blunder. You couldn’t make this up!

Matt
    Participant

I think you are right – judging by the small numbers of people who bothered to fill out the online consultation – I can hardly even see smartphone and computer users bothering to navigate round Wrexham Council’s clunky and cumbersome website to fill out a multi-step web form with their post code to then have to download and then physically print off their own calendar.

I’m not even sure if the whole process on the site – including the PDF are accessibility friendly for those who are visually impaired or have other disabilities that would make this access a whole lot more difficult than providing them with something physical.

Then there are some particularly in the older generation who have never owned a smartphone or a computer and never will. They should be made available in physical form to those who can at least phone the council to request one.

zinger
    Participant

What happened to the stickers that could be stuck on the bin? They worked.
    I opted for an email reminder which is great.

Perhaps census forms should have a question asking about access to the internet. It would show a more accurate picture perhaps.

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

Ah yes, I forgot about the stickers! That was a great idea and saves on postage.

I know of older people who don’t have any access to the internet. The bin men will no longer be able to assume that no bin on the curb means the householder doesn’t want a bin emptied, they may just not be aware of the day.

I guess their response will be that they can ask a relative, friend or neighbour to print one off, but there are problems with that. First, not everyone has a friend, relative or neighbour that they feel comfortable asking. Second, a lot of the “smartphone / tablet” generation that the Clowncil refer to also no longer have or need a printer, they access stuff directly on their device. And thirdly, even if they do know someone friendly with a printer, it is reducing the person’s independence.

BenjaminM
    Participant

With the exception of Xmas and the New Year, it’s the same collection day every week. Hardly rocket science to remember.
    Or perhaps they could look out of their window?
    Seems like looking for problems where none really exist.

dagg
    Participant

I know what day my bins are emptied, but if I stood looking out of the window waiting for them I could be there for hours. I’ve known them to come around 7 in the morning and after 2 in the afternoon.

wrexview
    Participant

Not necessary to print , just read and note pattern. Also take the opportunity to speak to your neighbours and even offer help to those who need it to return bins.

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

Not everyone has visible neighbours – for example in rural areas (the same ones that sometimes have no internet). Also old people, the ones with no internet, have notoriously bad memories and often forget what day it is. They really haven’t thought this one through.

Maybe the Councillors with their tax payer provided iPads have lost touch with reality.

Matt
    Participant

Someone uploaded this photo to the local Facebook group the other day – made me laugh.

bin day

MP1953
    Participant

Doesn’t help those who don’t have internet access, but the easiest way to print this calendar is from the link below as far as I can see.

As Matt says the other way is to register all sort of details with the council including your national insurance number ! of which I certainly do not want to give to the council !!

https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/env_services/recycling_waste/calendar.htm

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News