The Can't be Bothered Generation!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Can't be Bothered Generation!

• Author

Interested
    Participant

[quote quote=129953]Interested,

Direct answer to your question is no.

Reason: I believe a county councillor should be in attendance at these meetings regardless. I think that if there’s a situation where you have for example 4 vacancies, 5 candidates, but one of these is a county councillor / standing for it. Then in an effort to engage more people (rather than the same people) the county councillor should withdraw their candudature from the community council.

I have spoken to many residents have been open and honest about this. I’ve also informed them that due to their being vacancies unfilled post nomination that I will be putting my name forward via co-option.

I’d like to think I’ve been clear with residents on my intentions and I’m sure they will vote the way they choose on the day.

Safe to say… my thoughts are divisive (?) but I believe an important job of anyone involved in this process is to engage more people where possible.

Hope that helps?

[/quote]

Thank you for the honest answer. Safe to say I agree that County Councillors should attend Community Council meetings but………the fact you have not registered ever to join a Community Councillor sends out the message that you are probably in it for the wrong reason. My opinion and I am positive that you will disagree.

Having stood as a Liberal Democrat at the last election in Rhosnesni, you have now switched your attentions to Gwenfro as an Independent. You have never served the Community as a Community Councillor and although I’m not sure but do you reside in the ward you are standing for? Find it odd that you are not standing in Rhosnesni again.

If you are unsuccessful at this attempt will you stand again in a different ward under another banner? I am pretty cynical but do you see yourself as a potential career politician?

You do have my respect for engaging on Wrexham.com but …..have to question your motivations.

Conde
    Participant

apparently there’s a character limit on this (as I’ve lost my reply 3 times now) so I’m going to keep brief.

I’m in it because I see the potential Wrexham has. Visions of grandeur my partner calls it, but I think we can rebuild the high street. Improve tourism. Make the town safer. Will it be done over night – oh good god no. But it’s do able and I want to be involved. I also want to be involved because I think many of my generation look at politicians (at every level) and think they are just robots with very little character. I want to change the perception and engage people. I’d rather 99% of the population voted against my than didn’t vote at all (yes, it’d sting but it’d mean that the process is working)

2012 I stood in Rhosnesni as a LD you’re quite correct. Reason for this was that originally I was due to be standing in Gwnenfro. The LD incumbent for Rhosesni was standing down due to personal reasons and I was asked to go and try and retain the ward. Entirely party political and the electorate saw straight through it I think. Wasn’t a shock result.

I live 3 minutes walk from Gwnefro. Though the Lodge (where I live) is a bit of a community no-mans land between Brymbo, Southsea, Tanyfron, Pentrebroughton and Brynteg. There’s no particular connection other than a ward boundary that in my opinion needs changing.

If unsuccessful, I’ll do what I do outside of election time – help those who need my support. Be it a strongly worded email questioning a decision or research for residents’ queries. I’ve always been accessible and willing to help. Re standing for another party – I was always left of centre socially (and slightly right of centre fiscally) so LD was a good fit for me. Though about people changing parties – how many people still stand as the SDP? how many torry supporters (and labour for that matter) support Ukip? Representatives (even prospective ones) can have a change of heart when the party system isn’t what it should be.

Career politician – it’d be nice to earn a living from helping people this way I know that if i could just live on a councillor’s salary I would drop my job like a stone. Do I see it happening – probably not.

I appreciate you asking the questions (because there will be lots of people thinking the same) – whether I would get your vote if you were in Gwenfro or not is another question. I’m here doing the ground work and will be dealing with issues like i am outside of ‘election season’.

Interested
    Participant

No Conde…I don’t live in Gwenfro but I do have a few family who live in the ward. Please don’t take this as an attack…just an observation.

I live just on the outskirts of Ruabon. And although never been really political have recently become interested in the local scene. Partly due to the local, hopefully to remain Councillor Dana Davies. Although she is a Labour Councillor (not normally my political standing) she is very passionate and very hard working. I understand your point about where you fit in the political spectrum but locally I feel that we need 1 party/group to be in control. A party/group that can be held accountable from a set of promises. I don’t see Independents as a good fit to run the Council.

Conde
    Participant

Sorry I didn’t take it as an attack – I’m actually grateful you’re engaging :)

Local politics is a bit more interesting I think so we do share some common ground there.

Dana’s done a hell of a lot of good work on a county level – unsure what the local scene is like but I’m sure it’s positive. I think Pol Wong will be a strong threat to her. But ultimately I think Dana will be returned a Cllr.

Perhaps – if it is the lack of a clear manifesto that you’re worried about, perhaps a devised manifesto post election with the controlling party/group is required.

Candidates like myself are (at this point) more interested in the local issues because that’s something we can effect with the limited power we have, I know there are certain ideas I have that I believe would improve the town centre and I’m sure many candidates feel the same.

I agree that a plan is required. I also agree that it’s difficult with a bunch of independents; however ultimately the position is very similar to that of a party. Which I understand makes the idea of an independent independent null and void. Ironic really. However, my personal opinion is if elected, I will hear out all those who would want to talk to me and I also want to know their vision to see if I can back it.

Interested
    Participant

Thanks Conde. Not sure on Pol Wong…he doesn’t live in the ward and have heard nothing of or from him since the last election.

I understand your point on maybe setting a manifesto after an election?? I want to see it before so I can make a judgement on how you would manage budgets, local services etc. Thank you for responding. Looking at the last groupings under Mark Pritchard and David Bithell…..they seem to want to stop debate and it’s our way or the highway. Under their stewardship Wrexham has become….like another thread title…A zombie town.

Interested
    Participant

Seemed to have hijacked Wrexham.com but never mind. Time on my hands with it being a bank holiday.

You hit the nail on the head really Independents actually fool the public into believing you will actually vote independently. When this actually isn’t the case as if your part of a group majority rules.

Conde
    Participant

Then I’m sure you and the rest of your ward will vote whichever way you shall.

It’s incredibly difficult I suppose, especially because council business is not 100% transparent (and there are occasions which it is difficult to be).

I do believe that it’s not dishonourably to be a rebel to a grouping. I think there needs to be more rebels, I believe it does cause an improvement in debate and quality of outcome. I don’t quite think that there is no way that a councillor can be independent – I do believe that it’s politically unpopular.

That being said I’m not personally interested in being politically popular; I’m more interested in doing the right thing.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=129990] I know there are certain ideas I have that I believe would improve the town centre and I’m sure many candidates feel the same.

Where have you been hiding with these ideas? No good keeping them to yourself.
    [/quote]

Conde
    Participant

They will all be drip fed as I’m confident in them. What I don’t want to be doing is throwing out hair brained ideas for someone to go “we’ve already done that” and I look stupid.

More damaging that does anyone any good.

What I will say is that I believe an option for the council to engage legislation and create a publicly owned trading company utilising some of the skills held within the council. Quite potentially opening up a revenue stream as well as potentially engaging employment opportunities.

But there will be things being released by myself in good time.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=129996]

What I will say is that I believe an option for the council to engage legislation and create a publicly owned trading company utilising some of the skills held within the council. Quite potentially opening up a revenue stream as well as potentially engaging employment opportunities.

But there will be things being released by myself in good time.

[/quote]

Several questions about this idea:

1) Is this not just an attempt to privatise some of the council’s already existing offerings? Surely all of the council’s skills and services should be offered to the local community for free (we pay council tax) or on a not-for-profit basis where additional costs justify a nominal charge.

2) Where is the manpower coming from to spend time on private enterprise and commercial activities? When cuts to frontline services already mean it is difficult to get access to existing public services from the council meaning that existing council workers spending time trying to earn revenues away from the council’s core purpose will cause greater strain on the whole system. This hardly seems fair when local council tax payers are paying the wages of these council workers in the first place to do something not necessarily in our direct best interests.

3) If these are in fact viable commercial services then surely the council will be directly competing with and creating unfair competition against local small businesses who offer the same services? Albeit being able to undercut these SMEs as they will be taxpayer subsidised. This will then ironically threaten local jobs and wipe out any gains made by the proposed job creation benefit mentioned.

4) How will generated profits be transparently protected from being either awarded to councillors in the form of numerative and non-numerative benefits (they already awarded themselves iPads) or stopped from being wasted on the likes of expensive consultancy fees elsewhere in less efficient areas of operation that would likely wipe out said profits?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News