The Can't be Bothered Generation!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Can't be Bothered Generation!

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Almost a third of those under 34 years old in the Wrexham County Borough electoral area haven’t bothered to register to vote. Some argue vorciferously for reducing the voting age to 16 year of age , how would that make any difference when those who are eligible now, can’t be bothered to register let alone use their vote. They don’t even have to leave their computer screens, as they can register online, ask for a postal vote and get someone else to post it! Unless the younger generation engage in politics they will always be ruled by the opinions of the older generation. The evidence shows that more of the older generation register to vote and use their vote and therefore have greater influence on outcomes. We are lucky to live in a democracy it’s a pity so many don’t appreciate it.

wrexview
    Participant

April 13th is the cut off date for registration, so still time for the younger generation to balance the scales!

Conde
    Participant

Completely agree with the need for my generation to engage more.

Purely speculative… I believe because politicians and those who my generation see as engaging in politics are generally from the same moulds (older, male and generally white and from middle and upper class backgrounds) it’s rather alienating to many.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve worked in and around the political arena since I left college at 18. I’m fully aware how wrong the stereotype is. I always remember the advert about the 2 men moaning, 1 saying how he’s not interested in politics, the other asking if he was interested in jobs, traffic, the local environment and it’s all politics.

Could definitely do with a re-run of that for the Youtube generation!

I do hope ‘my lot’ get sorted and apply. I’ve certainly been advising ALL of the individuals I’ve been speaking to in Gwenfro to get on the register.

Re: under 18’s voting.

All power too it. I’ve supported it since I was that age. I believe even if 5% of under 18’s voted, it’s still a welcomed increase. Politicians might start directing policy in their favour as well to engage them.

I spoke to one very, very well known politician a few years ago who was doing a talk in a college. He said that it was a shame that it was a vicious cycle of not voting, therefore not being engaged by politicians, which in turn put more people off from voting because they didn’t believe it made a difference.

Sad state of affairs.

pete
    Participant

We’re both registered to vote, although I’m not sure what the point is – we have 2 councillors and there are 3 candidates (2 labour, 1 independent).
    The Labour candidates have historically had nothing in their manifestos covering local issues yet always get voted in. Nothing’s improved in the area over the last 5+ years while they have been councillors.
    The independent candidate has thwarted efforts by local groups who have genuinely tried to make a difference to the area, and at the last election was taking credit for the work that they had done so won’t get getting my vote (again).

Maybe I need to move somewhere else.

Interested
    Participant

Being a Councillor isn’t just about each individual ward as I posted in another thread. Big budgets, vital services all come under the council. Frightening that someone with no experience of making complex, tough decisions can be elected. Happens every time though.mmvote for the candidate regardless of what Political persuasion just make sure they are capable……

MattJ
    Participant

[quote quote=129756]…can’t be bothered to register let alone use their vote. They don’t even have to leave their computer screens, as they can register online, ask for a postal vote and get someone else to post it!
    [/quote]

Can’t be bothered? I’d be surprised if they even knew about a local election.

This generation uses the internet, maybe they should put some effort into that form of media to communicate with people?

According to the leader live the candidates in my area (penycae) are John Phillips and Aled Prys Powell.

A google search for ‘Aled Prys Powell’ or ‘Aled Prys Powell penycae’ comes up with no useful information, the most useful link is the leader site saying they’re a candidate and nothing more.

A search for John Phillips comes up with his meeting attendance and his name on a the Pen-Y-Cae Community Council list.

So, I know nothing about these people and they want my vote? Why would I vote blind when I don’t have to vote at all?

The notice boards on local houses saying ‘vote John Phillips’ are about as useful as a wet paper bag. If you’re going to get boards made up then for sure make a website and stick it on said board. Who are these people, what are their aims?

99DylanJones
    Participant

The section on Wrexham.com is excellent but is till totally dependent on candidates putting information on – it would help people decide but only if the candidates put the info on the site. I hazard a guess that some of the questions Wrexham.com will be too hard for some of them to complete even for those Councillors who are standing again.

Be interesting to see how many candidates actually walk around their communities trying to meet the electorate on the ‘good old days’ when people where more committed to elections– banner signs in every other garden supporting one or other candidate and the debates that took pace in the local pub, families split over who to vote for. Those were the days when people actually spoke to each other and not hide behind a computer screen. This is certainly an example of how technology has stifled the family and pub debates/banter.

R T
    Keymaster

[quote quote=129885]

…can’t be bothered to register let alone use their vote. They don’t even have to leave their computer screens, as they can register online, ask for a postal vote and get someone else to post it!

This generation uses the internet, maybe they should put some effort into that form of media to communicate with people?

According to the leader live the candidates in my area (penycae) are John Phillips and Aled Prys Powell.

A google search for ‘Aled Prys Powell’ or ‘Aled Prys Powell penycae’ comes up with no useful information, the most useful link is the leader site saying they’re a candidate and nothing more.

A search for John Phillips comes up with his meeting attendance and his name on a the Pen-Y-Cae Community Council list.

So, I know nothing about these people and they want my vote? Why would I vote blind when I don’t have to vote at all?

The notice boards on local houses saying ‘vote John Phillips’ are about as useful as a wet paper bag. If you’re going to get boards made up then for sure make a website and stick it on said board. Who are these people, what are their aims?

[/quote]

As mentioned https://wrexham.com/election2017/ is growing, and all candidates have had letters and 66 have accessed the system in just under the first week.

You mention the Leader, I would imagine they are using their tremendous resources to ensure even more information is put out locally.

They put together a ‘military style operation’ to get the draw yer mum stuff sorted, and even produced their own PR about it, http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2016/news/military-style-operation-complete-for-publishers-mothers-day-project/ ! I doubt kids colouring pics of the mum in to print is a higher priority than important once every five year elections – although since they did changed their mind and ended up not bothering sending anyone to the EU referendum count I could be disappointed…

MattJ
    Participant

[quote quote=129891]

…can’t be bothered to register let alone use their vote. They don’t even have to leave their computer screens, as they can register online, ask for a postal vote and get someone else to post it!

As mentioned https://wrexham.com/election2017/ is growing, and all candidates have had letters and 66 have accessed the system in just under the first week.

You mention the Leader, I would imagine they are using their tremendous resources to ensure even more information is put out locally.

They put together a ‘military style operation’ to get the draw yer mum stuff sorted, and even produced their own PR about it, http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2016/news/military-style-operation-complete-for-publishers-mothers-day-project/ ! I doubt kids colouring pics of the mum in to print is a higher priority than important once every five year elections – although since they did changed their mind and ended up not bothering sending anyone to the EU referendum count I could be disappointed…

[/quote]

Not questioning your efforts Here Rob, you’re clearly putting in more than my candidates.

If they’re not responding to your questions by the registration cut off date then I won’t be responding with a vote.

I’ll be sitting at home drawing a picture of my mum whilst you all vote :)

R T
    Keymaster

No worries – did not take it that way, it just is very frustrating that there does seem to be a load of passionate people who do care about the area and do want to be informed but are not getting the information.

Lets face it, it is not rocket science to write a letter to candidates and pop up the replies.

As I such an interesting person I am writing this while reading http://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/documents/s8081/Appendix.pdf?LLL=undefined – a document entitled “ICT & Digital Strategy 2017-2020” – which will have foreword from Cllr Dutton / Chief Executive / Lee Robinson.

It covers a range of things including “Digital Democracy” – “Citizens actively engaged in the democratic process”, and ‘Digital Elected Members’.

Currently Cllr Dutton has yet to take part in our exercise, but I expect he will with his name on that doc :)

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New video shows Wrexham AFC chairman “Baseball-izing” Football Game ahead of MLB World Tour

News

Police appeal after “considerable amount of damage” at local primary school

News

A view from Sam Rowlands – Welsh Conservative North Wales Member of the Senedd

News

“It is not for local authorities to fund local or national print media”, says Senedd committee

News

Over 6,000 illegal vapes seized in Wrexham in Trading Standards crackdown

News

Former First Minister Mark Drakeford honoured as one of the “Covid heroes”

News