The Best and Worst of Wrexham In 2013?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Best and Worst of Wrexham In 2013?

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

@BenjaminM 11067 wrote:

Thanks for pointing out your location Alun and I do frequently check out the promo posters in your shop window. Contrary to public belief (on Wrexham.com at least), I do not post comments on this site to be antagonistic, but merely to infuse contrary opinions into debates- opinions which I do actually believe have some credence.
    Our paths never crossed at Grove Park but I feel sure that if they had, there would have been some interesting jousts.!

Bah Humbug…….I was just about to put a map on for you……in case…..of course.
    Have you got our email address?

jimbow
    Participant

Best:- Going into Alun Hughes Film Music & Nostalgia Bank Street Shop
    Worst:-Coming out of Alun Hughes Film Music & Nostalgia Bank Street Shop

Iceman
    Participant

@BenjaminM 11067 wrote:

Thanks for pointing out your location Alun and I do frequently check out the promo posters in your shop window. Contrary to public belief (on Wrexham.com at least), I do not post comments on this site to be antagonistic, but merely to infuse contrary opinions into debates- opinions which I do actually believe have some credence.
    Our paths never crossed at Grove Park but I feel sure that if they had, there would have been some interesting jousts.!

Are you ever going to answer my question?

Iceman
    Participant

@Alunh 11068 wrote:

I have some sympathy with Benjamin’s point. I note with unease the introduction of Coleg Cambria’s Welsh Language policy document and the renaming of the institution. I note the decline of the Welsh language in recent surveys, yet the relative vibrancy of Welsh medium institutions in Labour controlled Wales. I am conversant with the old iron law of oligarchies and sense a Fabian style backdoor assault on Anglo-Wales. I await with trepidation the day when English speakers find themselves second class citizens in Wales and marginalised in the jobs market and a day when Welsh medium schools have become back door grammars for the middle class (and working class kids are faced with the worst of all worlds in Wales)………………..

Is this all too bleak?

Yes it is. We live in Wales. We should be able to send our kids to Welsh medium schools. Any other view is extremely offensive and I would question the motive for Benjamin saying what he said. Sadly, he has not seen fit to reply and I question the motive for that also.

BenjaminM
    Participant

You asked for a response Iceman and you will get one. Unfortunately, I do not respond well to a metaphorical snap of someone’s fingers as I have life to lead that involves more than poring over a keyboard.
    I was born and bred in the Principality of Wales but first and foremost, I consider myself to be British.
    As you may be aware, the number of people who CLAIM to be bilingual has fallen to 19%, but this figure is in some doubt because of the over exuberance of parents in estimating the ability of their offspring. This is despite the fact that many of the children had been educated through the medium of Welsh. Even the First Minister has stated that his children only use the Welsh language whilst at school, outside they converse in English.

The imposition of the Welsh Language Act has had a direct impact on Public Utilities and larger organisations who are compelled by law to provide bi-lingual accounts and invoices, albeit that on the vast majority of occasions, the Welsh portion is discarded, unread. Nether does it contribute one iota to environmental issues.

Welsh has no viable role to play in trade, business or commerce and does nothing to increase the prosperity of the nation in terms of European and World trade.
    The British Council have stated unequivocally that “there is an alarming shortage of people able to speak languages vital to the future prosperity and global standing of the Country”. And by this they mean Spanish,German, Chinese etc.

As Alun has stated above, ” he awaits with trepidation the day when English speakers find themselves second class citizens…………and marginalised in the job market”. I can categorically state that is happening now, I know this as fact as it occurs on an almost daily basis in selection processes, particularly in the public sector.

If there is a perceived need for bi lingual education, at least make sure it is one that contributes to the well being and prosperity of the Country as a whole and not just the vociferous minority.

On a personal level, I would not be too disheartened if Welsh went the same way as the Cornish and Manx language, although it could still be retained for Eisteddfodau and Cymanfa Ganu, I suppose.

johnhoppy
    Participant

This post I think started out with the best of intentions to gather our opinions on the Best and Worst of Wrexham in 2013. It seems to have degenerated into a slanging match over the merits or the Welsh language. May I suggest that those of you who feel strongly enough about this subject begin a new thread where it may be debated freely.

BenjaminM
    Participant

@johnhoppy 11078 wrote:

This post I think started out with the best of intentions to gather our opinions on the Best and Worst of Wrexham in 2013. It seems to have degenerated into a slanging match over the merits or the Welsh language. May I suggest that those of you who feel strongly enough about this subject begin a new thread where it may be debated freely.

It was not brought to a degenerate level by me. I just stated what I considered to be the best and worst of Wrexham 2013.
    It was another who took exception to my OPINION !!!

Iceman
    Participant

I am absolutely shoked by the above narrow minded and bigoted view. It is this type of colonialist attitude that has held Wales back. To attack the Welsh language or Welsh medium education is an absolute disgrace. Your wild claims have no substance and to be perfectly honest I think they are bordering on being racist.

johnhoppy
    Participant

My post did not apportion any blame, just that this matter would be better served by discussion on a separate thread.

BenjaminM
    Participant

The ‘wild claims’ that I am accused of making are indeed factual and are based on information contained in the 2011 census and statements made by the British Council.
    You asked me to elaborate on my initial post, I have done so. You can either accept it for what it is, or not. I am not particularly bothered either way.
    Suffice it to say, you asked…… I replied. As far as I concerned, request fulfilled.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Removing fly-tipping cost Wrexham Council £21,500 last year

News

Voter registration for May’s Police and Crime Commissioner elections closes today

News

Have your say on Wrexham Council’s online services!

News

Youngsters create new garden for Wrexham’s Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service

News

McElhenney And Reynolds Will Continue Wrexham Progress

News

Wrexham students dig in to create peace garden at local care home

News