The 2011 Census and Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The 2011 Census and Wrexham

• Author

Rob
    Participant

We have published this article ( https://www.wrexham.com/features/2011-census-wrexham-15356.html ) with various snippets of Wrexham specific data, and have opened this thread to debate it.

What stands out to you from it?

Does it clear up any myths about the make up of the area?

Does it hold any surprises for you?

wrexview
    Participant

A few things stand out , 80% of people in Wrexham consider they are in good health which is good. Almost a third of properties are owned outright more than I thought and the number of retired people is growing.

zinger
    Participant

I am sad to see a decrease in people who consider themselves to be Christian in a predominently Christian country particularly since other religions have increased.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

Not been seen on this forum, but have been very concerned about the hate towards the number of muslims now in GB.

The comments on the yahoo article were all “that’s were our money has gone”, “No jobs – all gone to foreigners”, etc. All i thought was I didn’t realise that all the bankers were muslims ;)

I think it’s great to say such diversity in GB, I hope it continues.

wrexview
    Participant

So we have a population of just under 135,000, is that down on previously? I thought the population was roughly 140,000. Are there figures for the number of forms not completed in our area ? There are always some that fall through the net and although prosecution can result, historically there have not been many. How accurate do you think these statistics are in the 21st century?

NJones
    Participant

It would be interesting to see the make up of the white population- i.e. how many Europeans or internationals of white origin compared to those who identify themselves as white British. Wrexham has always had a large Polish and Portuguese population and that must have increased a lot in the past 10 years.

Y Ffin
    Participant

It would be interesting to know which are the second, third and fourth most spoken languages in Wrexham. I hear more polish on the streets than welsh, but is that just because the polish accent stands out more? It would also be interesting to compare the economically active and inactive percentages of different groups because people think immigrants are all spongers, when it is obviously to anybody with a brain that the opposite is more likely to be the case.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Saturday’s Wrexham Artisan Market to be ‘showcase’ of local and national products

News

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News