temporary 50 mph speed on A483 – Serious question?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum temporary 50 mph speed on A483 – Serious question?

• Author

THE SHADOW
    Participant

I have a hybrid vehicle I can travel at 70mph with zero emissions fpor the full length of this stretch of road (and beyond).

Can I drive at 70mph in this ‘temp’ 50mph zone ? – as I will be breaking no law?

AMA Express
    Participant

Nope. It’s a temporary speed limit, not an emissions limit.

Matt
    Participant

Does anyone know what actual speed deterrents are going to be brought in place to actually enforce this – Wrexham drivers will interpret as largely optional – speed limit?

Is there going to be a speed camera zone allocated to it? Permanent speed camera? Police actually pulling people over for doing anything above 57 MPH? (10% speeding tolerance + 2mph rule) – when they are busy off to other locations of town where policing is actually needed.

AMA Express
    Participant

The “10% + 2” tolerance was dropped by most forces many years ago. In practise you can be fined for being just 1 mph over the posted limit now.

As a professional driver I know of many others who have been fined for doing 31 or 32 mph in a 30 limit.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/806313/Speeding-fines-2017-UK-10-percent-allowance-rule-explained

Rondetto
    Participant

Yes you are absolutely correct there. Even doing 31mph in a 30 area you can be nicked. There are many who have done the speed awareness course that will testify to that.
    I just wonder how long is “Temporary” There’s little point in having a dual carriageway if you are limited to
    a mere 50 mph. It’s far more dangerous to keep looking down at your speedometer taking your eyes off the road ahead all the while than it is to drive a normal dual carriageway speed.

Matt
    Participant

That is very interesting to know AMA. There is a lot of confusion over this as other recent articles have suggested information to the contrary. So there is a lot of misinformation about. Probably best to stick to the limits just in case as a general rule.

I just have my serious doubts that 50mph is going to be religiously adhered to on the Wrexham to Gresford roundabout stretch unless drivers believe there’s a serious chance of them being caught out.

AMA Express
    Participant

The good news is that the speedometer on most modern cars overestimates speeds over 30 mph by 2 or 3 mph. So, in most cases, albeit not all, if your speedo is showing 50mph, you’re probably only travelling at 47 – 49mph. This has been proven by using various SatNav units and radar as an accurate check.

Rondetto
    Participant

Correct again. I have noticed that with my tom tom.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

[quote quote=150924]It’s far more dangerous to keep looking down at your speedometer taking your eyes off the road ahead all the while than it is to drive a normal dual carriageway speed.[/quote]

So you can not drive at 50mph without looking at the speedo? but you can do 70mph all by your self? Clever B.

Nen
    Participant

I assume that this limit will be advisory?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News