Suspended coffee

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Suspended coffee

• Author

NJones
    Participant

An interesting idea reported on BBC news: BBC News – Would you buy a 'suspended coffee' for someone in need?

Quote: The idea of “Suspended Coffee” is simple: When you buy yourself a coffee at a participating cafe, you also pay for a second one – which can then be claimed by someone who cannot afford it themselves.

They don’t have to “prove” anything to claim one, but the scheme relies on the good faith of everyone involved.

The movement has been growing in popularity since it began in Italy several years ago, and has already been embraced by hundreds of coffee shops around the world. Now Starbucks has announced it will soon be adopting a version of the scheme.

Anywhere in Wrexham doing this?

Rondetto
    Participant

Nope, not heard of this and cant see it happening here.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

It’s a good idea, but tax dodgers starbucks situated in tax dodging eagles meadow are profiting from this (as well as not paying tax.)

Why don’t they have a charity box where the money can go? Then no profit for starbucks on that 2nd coffee..

PS have no problems with local coffee shops doing it, just the tax dodgers.

NJones
    Participant

Knowing Starbucks they’ll say no-one has left a suspended coffee and take the profit!

jamie-jbit
    Participant

This is the kind of thing that is at the core of the ethos for the yum yum project i believe. Thats a genuine community interest group, not a huge multinational just making the right noises.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

From friends I understand that the bigger cities like Liverpool do suspended coffees but I don’t know anywhere in Wrexham that provides the service as yet.

wrexview
    Participant

£3 , about the cost of a coffee in a national chain, is enough money to buy food for a simple meal. Finding a way to get the money to the people who really need it is the problem. A free coffee doesn’t really help,an empty belly.

Chris
    Participant

I’m afraid I don’t really approve of things like this. It stinks of free advertising and is profiteering in the name of a good cause Lets be honest a cup of coffee costs about 10p to make, so why don’t these shops provide these coffees at there cost rather than expect there customers to pay.

Personally I have given free teas and coffee’s to those who cant afford them same as chippys leave food out for homeless. We don’t do it for the publicity we do it because we have morals.

Lets be honest if you were broke and homeless Starbucks and Costs are the last places you would go to.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News