Suffragettes & Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Suffragettes & Wrexham

• Author

Idris
    Participant

Is anyone else fed up with all of the suffragette stuff over the media? Not knocking what they did but its getting stale now. Its 100 years so get over it.

There a lot more pressing problems in the world that should be in the spotlighted and Wrexham has more of its fare share with the Maelor hospital, homelessness, drug culture and plastic straws.

I am glad that the Council and Ty Pawb haven’t jumped on this bandwagon yet.

feedshallow
    Participant

Congratulations Idris. Probably the stupidest quote of the year so far.

Stoneagle
    Participant

Worth logging onto this thread to read feedshallow’s comment! Thank you.

So, Idris … tell us more about your kickass, fearless campaigns to solve Wrexham’s problems with the hospital, homelessness, drug use + plastic straws?

Idris
    Participant

[quote quote=144263]Worth logging onto this thread to read feedshallow’s comment! Thank you.

So, Idris … tell us more about your kickass, fearless campaigns to solve Wrexham’s problems with the hospital, homelessness, drug use + plastic straws?[/quote]

I don’t have the solutions but I think that the feminists are taking it far too far! The walk on girls and darts and the formula one birds CHOOSE to do the job and are not FORCED into it. As for calling MANking HUMANkind to save upsetting women or the third gender. Its a laugh.

Downing Street needs to put forward the solution to the problems that affect Wrexham and the rest of the Country not me but they need a kick up the ass.

People need to speak up and not be gagged! WAKE UP AND BE HEARD! DON’T BE A SHEEP Stoneagle (AKA StoneSheep)

Matt
    Participant

Okay this is pretty ridiculous – because of Rob’s excellent SEO the top search result on Google for Wrexham Suffragettes is now this topic. So anyone wanting to research this – likely this year, is going to see an embarrassing indictment of our town.

Somebody getting upset because they can’t see women parading around scantily clad at the darts and Formula One anymore when you actually read in contrast about the very real struggles women in North Wales and in Wrexham had to obtain the vote – putting their lives at risk, beaten, clothes torn, arrested, force fed.

Anyone who actually wants to know the real history of the suffragette movement in Wrexham and around North Wales read this excellent essay here – there were a lot of things I wasn’t aware of:

http://www.soh.wales/images/Suffragettes.pdf

Some highlights:

“Kitty Marion was arrested for heckling Lloyd George at the Royal National Eisteddfod at Wrexham, 1912. For this, and other protests, she was regularly beaten, humiliated and imprisoned. She was force-fed 232 times.”

Women blamed for criminal activity/terrorism (no change in project fear from the MSM then) – “One newspaper report of 1914 states that two young men were investigated for setting fire to Coedpoeth Station, along with several other ‘copycat incidents’ in Wales, but most other local newspapers attribute it to suffragettes.”

Gangs of thugs beating up women – “At Trevor, a meeting was “made impossible by gangs of roughs, who gathered in force. Our placards were torn to ribands, brick-bats were collected and the uncontrolled excitement of the whole populace was enormous.” The suffrage cause was thereby restricted to canvassing and distributing literature.”

Of course this didn’t stop the movement locally – “Wales was a staunchly patriarchal society largely unwilling to consider a new opinion. The first Welsh branch of the National Union of Women Suffrage Societies (NUWSS) was formed in Llandudno in 1907. Speakers in Wales were roughly treated. Some mining areas such as Wrexham and Ruabon were considered “too rough” for speakers to go into. Nevertheless, there were branches of the NUWSS in Rhyl, Wrexham and Llangollen, whose secretary was a Miss Price of 76 Beechley Road, Wrexham. Regular Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU) meetings were held in Wrexham, Ruthin and Denbigh as well as literature circulated in Welsh and English.”

I think it’s all incredibly powerful and interesting stuff.

Conde
    Participant

Yes Matt, just yes!

Idris
    Participant

Dear Matt, i can only compare your self-righteousness, sanctimoniousness, sententiousness and holier-than-thou attitude to that of the Sally Army shaking their collecting tins in the boozer.

Perhaps your out-pour is an underhanded attempt to cajole Rob into deleting the post, thus censoring my opinion and stopping me from having a voice on this forum? Didn’t they prevent women from having opinions once?

Conde
    Participant

I’d like to think Rob keeps this up, for prosperity’s sake more than anything. Doesn’t show you in a particularly good like Idris.

Matt
    Participant

Idris, the funny thing is you generated a Streisand Effect (to steal a term used in another thread) on the topic of suffragettes as I wasn’t particularly paying any attention to most of the articles that had been up on them until you decided to moan about it and suggested that there should be less information about it.

At that point I decided to read up on what historical ties there were to the Suffragettes in Wrexham and I can thank you for me learning all this information and so can other people, as you have brought the topic up and generated discussion about it.

The original point of your post was a lot of Whataboutery as you were drawing no links between the current state of social and economic affairs and a historical topic. The Wrexham issues are all well discussed enough in the news and online, so it’s hardly as if they are missing out.

I in no way want Rob to remove this thread or censor you, I was merely discussing the issue and disagreeing with what you were saying. I’m sorry you feel like your free speech is threatened in that way. I’m unsure why you have not tried to strengthen your own argument to defend your own point of view and instead resorted to Ad Hominems.

Aimiwaters
    Participant

[quote quote=144243]Is anyone else fed up with all of the suffragette stuff over the media? Not knocking what they did but its getting stale now. Its 100 years so get over it.

There a lot more pressing problems in the world that should be in the spotlighted and Wrexham has more of its fare share with the Maelor hospital, homelessness, drug culture and plastic straws.

I am glad that the Council and Ty Pawb haven’t jumped on this bandwagon yet.[/quote]

Idris, I think it’s your attitude that’s becoming a bit stale actually.

So by your thinking, because it happened so long ago, we should be ‘getting over it’. Does this mean, we should also be ‘getting over’ WW1 and WW2 remembrance days? Patron Saint days? Christmas even? I mean lets face it…..they all happened so long ago! Stupid right? Exactly!

Let me just say…YOU are the reason people fight for equality and still have to. I note how in one of your posts you call women ‘birds’ – are you even aware of what’s coming out your mouth or what you’re writing on occasion? Probably not by the looks of it.

The best thing about all of this, is you probably can’t even see the error of your ways. But hey, you’re entitled to your opinion, free speech and all that – oh wait, something else that was fought for….a long time ago!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News