Store 21 comes to Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Store 21 comes to Wrexham

• Author

Sheefag
    Participant

Short story writer eh?

Alunh
    Participant

The scenario you outline Sammy is not the one that you “hinted” at initially.

Goods sold in a shop have to be fit to fulfil the purpose for which they are to be put whether they are new or second hand. If the item has been mislabelled then it does not hit this criteria. A full refund can be demanded (usually). There are problems with sizes with clothes which create grey areas and that might be what they will use to avoid either crediting or refunding.

My shop won’t take back products bought in error by the customer especially when they were bought from our new area. The simple truth is that a shop like mine will reorder the item and then the shop ends up double stocked. Whilst you might think that shops will have no problem off-loading their double stocks, this is often not the case. It is a road to the liquidators for many businesses and having enjoyed that lovely experience on one occasion, it is not to be welcomed.

Sammy
    Participant

Hi,
    Yes I understand this, I too have been in that situation twice, Woolworth’s being just one instance. As I said before I worked in sales for many years and I have actually once owned a small retail outlet that I had to close due to lack of trade, shoplifting, and competition from large retailers etc, there really isn’t a great deal that I don’t know about retail having worked as shop assistant, manager and proprietor. As I said it would never have fitted anyone of my size and I believe in fairness all around, that includes customers, sales assistants, managers and the higher ups. Policies should never be just one-sided as fairness and common sense should always prevail.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Listen Sammy,
    shut the cooker up, give me your address, and I will gladly give you the fiver!!

Sheefag
    Participant

Snigger.

Sammy
    Participant

The fiver is not the issue, it’s the principle involved.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

@Sammy 18343 wrote:

The fiver is not the issue, it’s the principle involved.

Oh its Principles now is it, I thought it was Store 21!!

ps,
    careful Shefag!

Sammy
    Participant

Ok principal then, apologies for my dyslexia.
    However ridicule is like water off a duck’s back to me now.
    It’s any store really that has these policies.
    What no-one seems to realise is that it’s for the stores own good also. My last job was for a company who dealt in on-line sales. It was like a broker of a type that companies who sold on-line would use to sell through, rather than employ staff of their own. In on-line sales about a third of good’s are returned overall for various reasons. The stores who offered refunds as well as exchanges always sold more than the stores who offered exchange only and those who offered free return postage did better again. Satisfied customers return, dissatisfied ones don’t.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Principal??
    So you are out to get the head of Store21 involved now are you?

Alunh
    Participant

@Sammy 18349 wrote:

Ok principal then, apologies for my dyslexia.
    However ridicule is like water off a duck’s back to me now.
    It’s any store really that has these policies.
    What no-one seems to realise is that it’s for the stores own good also. My last job was for a company who dealt in on-line sales. It was like a broker of a type that companies who sold on-line would use to sell through, rather than employ staff of their own. In on-line sales about a third of good’s are returned overall for various reasons. The stores who offered refunds as well as exchanges always sold more than the stores who offered exchange only and those who offered free return postage did better again. Satisfied customers return, dissatisfied ones don’t.

Your problem is that you are making demands upon what is discretionary.

When M & S started doing all of the swopping over thing years ago, the small shops were slaughtered by them. Obviously customers like the ability to return products after 2-3 weeks (or more) even if there is nothing wrong with them and the big Multiples use this fact as a selling tool. Unfortunately, the big Multiples then force their own suppliers to take product back or dispose of it in a sale (or some other off-loading strategy). Many big Multiples factor the odd return into their pricing strategy and, as with shop lifting, they will allow 1-5% of loss via the return.

Whilst some may be able to do this, others can’t. The others include all the small shops who don’t enjoy an economy of scale. Shops in my business quickly recognised that people were taking home CDs and DVDs and just watching them or recording them, and then returning them for a refund.

There are no principles involved in demanding a refund where you have made an error. You are merely trading on a shop’s goodwill and, sadly, shops may not be able to afford such concessions.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News