STOP THE PARK CUTS

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum STOP THE PARK CUTS

• Author

onthehill
    Participant

If you want your parks to be a place to go to with activities for all, equally access, and places to be proud of then please sign the petition to stop the cuts to the ranger service.

Follow this link-Go to our Web page at tinyurl.com/savewxmparks

Nen
    Participant

I don’t understand this proposal – the Council seem to be struggling to keep the parks maintained properly as it is and are reliant on volunteers to make up for their shortfall. How is cutting resources further going to help? Unless, counter to what every other Town and City thinks, Wrexham doesn’t believe that properly maintained parks are a valuable asset.

zinger
    Participant

[quote quote=140189]I don’t understand this proposal – the Council seem to be struggling to keep the parks maintained properly as it is and are reliant on volunteers to make up for their shortfall. How is cutting resources further going to help? Unless, counter to what every other Town and City thinks, Wrexham doesn’t believe that properly maintained parks are a valuable asset.[/quote]

You may be right on that. Acton Park has shrunken massively to its original size. They wanted to build houses on 9 acres field & school playing fields were downsized. WCBC don’t like grass apart from that in front of the Guild Hall.

Stoneagle
    Participant

Many children benefit from the craft sessions run by Rangers in the school holidays. The government cuts to schools and Childrens Services are already having an impact so more cuts to activities that benefit children is a no-brainer.
    It’s not just craft – children benefit from the knowledge about local wildlife shared with them by Rangers. We should be nurturing our children by protecting all the services that enrich their love of nature, so that they in turn will enjoy it and look after it too.
    Shame on you for this, Wrexham council.
    Please fill in the survey before it ends on November 30th! It’s on the original post, above.

Born Acorn
    Participant

When I was a kid Minera Lead Mines had a ranger on site and a wildlife club there every weekend.

Now it’s dead.

Council Watcher
    Participant

Minera Leadmines and Kingsmill are two examples of £100’s thousands of pounds of Lottery and Charity funding that was spent on ill thought out Council projects with no sustainability plans.

You would hope the Council would have learned a lesson yet the development of the new Arts Hub seems to have the same management philosophy — get the funding, praise and glory for the opening with plenty of PR followed by a few years of gradual decline due to mismanagement of budgets and grossly overestimated income streams that don’t materialise.

zinger
    Participant

Walk along the Clwydog Trail to see much of our heritage. You might then realise where Wrexham went wrong. The building works along the trail show what made Wrexham. Buildings like Minera Lead Mines & King Mill will outlive the modern rubbish that is not fit for purpose after 30 years.

Council Watcher
    Participant

I agree the whole Clywedog trail is excellent but the Council closing the three buildings, Lead Mines, Bersham School Museum and Kins Mill jas taken so much away from the whole trail as a visitor attraction — very short-sighted

zinger
    Participant

I read that Groundwork Trust opened the Lead Mines at weekends during the summer months. Kings Mills isn’t going anywhere. It was renovated & my understanding is that it could be opened up for parties at mutually convenient times. I might be wrong. Nant Mill is open in the summer. Bersham Ironworks is opened by volunteers at certain times of the year. I went on a visit last year & thoroughly enjoyed it. Bersham Colliery is opened by volunteers in the summer. Erdigg & Chirk Castle also have many volunteers on board. Perhaps if people had to pay, they would value our heritage more. Everyone is upset about Bersham Heritage Centre but again if financial restraints lift, the building is still there it could be reopened at some time. Money is the root of all evil as the saying goes but give me parks & open spaces & our heritage every time over dull buildings that will close in 30 years if they last that long.

Ponciau
    Participant

[quote quote=140396]I agree the whole Clywedog trail is excellent but the Council closing the three buildings, Lead Mines, Bersham School Museum and Kins Mill jas taken so much away from the whole trail as a visitor attraction — very short-sighted[/quote]

[quote quote=140394]Walk along the Clwydog Trail to see much of our heritage. You might then realise where Wrexham went wrong. The building works along the trail show what made Wrexham. Buildings like Minera Lead Mines & King Mill will outlive the modern rubbish that is not fit for purpose after 30 years.[/quote] just use the groves as an example👍

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News