Stop Naming the August Bank Holiday

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Stop Naming the August Bank Holiday

• Author

Daave63
    Participant

Hi peeps, not sure if your aware, but a bill about to get its second reading is passing through the House of Commons to rename the August Bank Holiday to Margaret Thatcher Day!!
    I just signed the petition “Stop Naming the August Bank Holiday as Margaret Thatcher Day” and would ask all like minded folk to add your name too.

This campaign means a lot to a lot of people and the more support it can get behind it, the better chance it has of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition here:

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-naming-the-august-bank-holiday-as-margaret-thatcher-day

Ta

Rob
    Participant

This is a genuine bill not a hoax – but early and IMHO not likely to happen – Margaret Thatcher Day Bill 2013-14 — UK Parliament

johnhoppy
    Participant

None of our Public Holidays should be named after politicians!!

myfanwy
    Participant

As the 1st female P.M. she should, of course, have recognition.

Metalhead
    Participant

@myfanwy 12075 wrote:

As the 1st female P.M. she should, of course, have recognition.

Giving a person recognition is fine but I’m afraid I don’t agree with naming days after them, whoever they may be. If this fad continues we will soon be celebrating some nonsense like Simon Cowell or Katie Price day!

Rondetto
    Participant

I agree, it’s nonsense, there was talk at one time making a bank holiday on the anniversary of Princess Diana’s death.
    Leave well enough alone I reckon.

Alunh
    Participant

I don’t like politicians having days named after them. I’m not in that group that disparage Margaret Thatcher and think that she should be acknowledged as a national figure; I don’t feel this is the way to do it.

I would prefer to see some part of our national History celebrated with a Bank Holiday attached to it so that events like Magna Carta, the termination of Slavery (Wilberforce), the 1688, the defeat of the Armada, Waterloo, or Trafalgar were all up for grabs.

If people are uncomfortable about the military type of things, there are always great deeds of Literature and Culture that could be allocated a national day- anything from the Beatles to Shakespeare

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Saturday’s Wrexham Artisan Market to be ‘showcase’ of local and national products

News

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News