Stansty bridge

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Stansty bridge

• Author

NJones
    Participant

@Chris 7694 wrote:

For those who have not driven anything bigger than a car under the bridge, there are several large stones protruding at around 9 feet. Hence the need to stay further away from the wall in a van than in a car.
    I mainly use the bridge traveling on the other direction though and always give way to the traffic using or queuing up to use the bridge.(because I know the chances are I will have to wait by the junction) i won’t sit there and let cars though who arrive after I’ve previously given way as it should be give and take. When I do go through i cross over the centre of the road as otherwise you get poor car drivers who think they can squeeze past and get aggrieved when they have to get tight to the wall.

My experience exactly, and I too drive a van. Cars are bigger these days too- take a 1950’s saloon car like a Ford prefect at less than 1.5m wide, compared to compared to a current Ford Mondeo at just over 2m wide.

Darlofan
    Participant

@zinger 7700 wrote:

Are wheelchairs a new phenomenon? How do they cross the Llanypwll Link Road? A BIG SIGN that can’t be missed, Give Way to vehicles already using the bridge would make sense. Or a BIG ONE saying Give Way to traffic coming from town direction. It wouldn’t make a difference to those of us who do this as a courtesy but it might make others think. You will always get idiots.

Signs won’t make any difference. We’ve had signs on Mold exit slip of 483 for over 12mths now saying use both lanes for heading into town. Still people don’t see them and blast horns and gesticulate as you carry on round in front of them as they try to come across.

zinger
    Participant

Ahh! not the same type of instance though. To go though the bridge you have only one road to look at. The Mold Road island isn’t logical for one thing.

Andy
    Participant

Why is the Mold rd Island not logical?
    Grosvenor Rd aprroaching the lights- both lanes turn right.
    Plas Coch- Both lanes turn right.

WHY can so many motorists not read signs?

zinger
    Participant

None of them are similar in any way to the Stansty bridge where there is only one road to worry about.

NJones
    Participant

@Andy 7752 wrote:

Why is the Mold rd Island not logical?
    Grosvenor Rd aprroaching the lights- both lanes turn right.
    Plas Coch- Both lanes turn right.

WHY can so many motorists not read signs?

Think it’s more to do with change- the ‘I don’t do that so nobody else should’ attitude.

Born Acorn
    Participant

I sometimes think the Central Retail Park one way system gets a lot of stick because of the same attitude. Everywhere else has similar one way systems that meander through built up areas but we get a new one and all of a sudden it’s a “confusing”, “bad” road layout. I’ve never heard people complain about the Foregate St/Union St one way system in Chester.

The only thing bad about our roads are some of the drivers on them.

Rondetto
    Participant

Personally I see no problem with that stretch in Chester, in fact I can get through Chester far quicker than Wrexham.

zinger
    Participant

What I don’t understand is – if there is a straight forward road, that doesn’t cause any trouble, taking you from A to B, why do they have to complicate it by adding in C. Costs more in fuel, takes longer & it confuses people, ie the people that manage to go the wrong way. I imagine that they are strangers to the area. I don’t like speed bumps or chicanes for the same reason. Fuel cost I mean. As yet, I haven’t had a fire engine come tearing out at me on Bradley Road but it certainly would frighten the bejeebers out of me if one did. I don’t like the bus lane either. Change doesn’t always mean better. Some of the best roads we have were originally Roman & others came about by people using horses & carts.

Rondetto
    Participant

Apologies to bump this up, but yet again another crash in the Stansty bridge tunnel today. I know we have discussed this previously, but these incidents keep happening. Many go unreported, I see smashed glass there quite often where I assume someone has lost their wing mirror. But every now and then there is a more serious incident.
    Maybe traffic lights is the only safe option.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News