St Joseph’s

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum St Joseph’s

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

The educational planners in Wrexham have a massive isue on their hands with the largest reduction in intake the ‘superschools’ . The combined numbers are now getting to the levels of many large schools — there is gong to be an issue that they gi from superschools to small units similar to Penley which has just proven in their Estyn report that they are now the best secondary school in Wrexham County.
    It is also interesting if you look at areas such as Chirk that the educational attainment of secondary age children is high– why is it because they have visited with their feet and go to Dinas Bran (Denbighshire) , Weston Rhyn , Oswestry and Penly rather than the catchment school of Ysgol Rhuabon.
    The future of schools shows that there will be a massive surplus of spaces in a number of places-

Alunh
    Participant

I was sent by ‘Dynamo’ to Penley a few weeks ago; lovely, friendly school. A well merited report

Alunh
    Participant

@99DylanJones 13437 wrote:

The educational planners in Wrexham have a massive isue on their hands with the largest reduction in intake the ‘superschools’ . The combined numbers are now getting to the levels of many large schools — there is gong to be an issue that they gi from superschools to small units similar to Penley which has just proven in their Estyn report that they are now the best secondary school in Wrexham County.
    It is also interesting if you look at areas such as Chirk that the educational attainment of secondary age children is high– why is it because they have visited with their feet and go to Dinas Bran (Denbighshire) , Weston Rhyn , Oswestry and Penly rather than the catchment school of Ysgol Rhuabon.
    The future of schools shows that there will be a massive surplus of spaces in a number of places-

As you are aware Dylan, I don’t think they know where to start. Currently, given that there is parental choice (which is a must), parents will continue to vote with their feet based upon perception. Short of “forcing” parents not to do this, every Welsh authority is over the same barrel.

Dreadful system

Simon Ellis
    Participant

Thank you both for your kind words, what we really need to do (as all agencies or providers involved) is work together to improve the educational experiences for all pupils in Wrexham.
    Simon Ellis – Headteacher – The Maelor School, Penley

Ferret
    Participant

Great news from St Jo’s and Penley and they can do no more than achieve high standards in their own schools. I just fear for those parents / pupils who don’t have any real choice. In the days of Grammar schools we almost had a two-speed system – what’s changed really?

99DylanJones
    Participant

Did you know (as far as I have tired to find out) Wrexham Council does not make it easy for parents to do a choice as they won’t create a table to have a league table of schools. I appreciate there are a variety of factors but they should make it easier for parents to have the comparative information to hand rather than having to fish around.

I would like to give a personal thanks to Simon Ellis and his team as he was Headteacher when my third child was in Maelor plus their 6th Form – it was a brilliant school with an ethos of getting every young person to achieve their best potential.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News