SPLASH Magic opens

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum SPLASH Magic opens

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

Brilliant to see that the volunteers behind SPLASHMAGIC have been able to get the doors open on the old Plas Madoc leisure centre. They have fought against the odds to achieve what is a miracle in such a short period of time. Everyone concerned really do deserve massive praise — just need all the public now to get behind the project and use the facilities.

Alunh
    Participant

I really really hope that your optimism proves correct on this Dylan. Given that this was a cash drain on the community before the days of the Internet and Pub closures, I remain to be convinced.

As with all these things, every time that the Council (or other public bodies) provides subsidies for this centre (and comparable), that is money not available elsewhere.

I hope that the people running the centre are shrewd with Cash and creative with the things that are put on there.

As you say, the crunch will come if the public don’t support the centre…….and they won’t if the centre doesn’t offer them precisely what they want at the right price

zinger
    Participant

Swimming should be available for all as a right. I grew up without learning to swim as it was 2 bus rides to the nearest swimming pool. Living here, it was one of the first things that my children learned to do.

Alunh
    Participant

@zinger 16937 wrote:

Swimming should be available for all as a right. I grew up without learning to swim as it was 2 bus rides to the nearest swimming pool. Living here, it was one of the first things that my children learned to do.

Hard to disagree with the idea that swimming should be available to all. Coming from the Rhyl area, I was sad when they closed the outdoor pool on the front years ago. Unfortunately, the centre will only be able to work with given financial restraints and that is why Dylan is correct in hoping that the people of the whole area need to support it.

I am only pessimistic because Plas Madoc is not just a pool and a wide ranging programme will have to be developed to pay the bills that it will generate. As stated, I really really hope that this all falls into place.

Forlorn Hope
    Participant

Everyone is entitled to be a pessimist Alunh but maybe you do those behind Splash Magic a disservice.

When you talk about Council subsidies, have you taken into consideration the fact that tens of thousands of £’s are taken out for ‘central charges’, Local Government pension costs/deficits etc? Do you understand that as a Social Enterprise, the Trust will have access to grant funding that the Council did not? I understand that a Community Manager has been appointed to take advantage of these opportunities and help implement the “wide ranging programme” you mention

The business plan will have gone through intense scrutiny by the Council’s officers and lawyers before a lease would have been granted so, presumably stacks-up

Of course, if the general public don’t make use of the facility then it cannot succeed but I do think you should have faith in the marvellous people who have come this far and start with the idea that they are both “shrewd” and “creative”

Alunh
    Participant

Excellent; I hope that your optimism proves correct.

Born Acorn
    Participant

I did read somebody on Facebook saying they will go to Waterworld because it is cheaper. Perhaps instead of the council also closing Waterworld they should cease subsidising the prices?

Maybe if they had done that with Plas Madoc it would never have closed.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News

Prioritise support over punishment for young vapers, says Public Health Wales

News

New video shows Wrexham AFC chairman “Baseball-izing” Football Game ahead of MLB World Tour

News