Speeding traffic in Ruabon

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Speeding traffic in Ruabon

• Author

michael hunt
    Participant

Fully agree with Dana Davies complaints on the speed of traffic in Ruabon – its ridiculous.
    But surely Councillor Bithell is being a little economical with the truth when he says there is no money for traffic calming measures? There seems to be more than enough money when it comes to implementing traffic calming schemes throughout Johnstown . A new traffic calming feature appears weekly along Bangor Road, I thought recently that there was a breeding population of warning signs they appeared so frequently.

Perhaps Councillor Bithell Lead member for environment can explain why there is so much money available in the ward he represents (Johnstown) and not in the neighbouring ward of Ruabon?

Sheefag
    Participant

In all fairness, You can’t really blame anyone for putting their foot down to get through Ruabon.

A little imagination, some floodlighting and lane marking, this could be Wales’s own Bonneville Salt Flats.

Think on.

pete
    Participant

I must say I’ve never noticed any speeding traffic in Ruabon. Dangerous driving and parking but not speeding.

Animal Mother
    Participant

[quote quote=143049]I must say I’ve never noticed any speeding traffic in Ruabon. Dangerous driving and parking but not speeding.[/quote]

I’ve not really noticed it either, except for out by the railway bridge into/out of the 40mph limit. Through the village itself? Not really.

As for the traffic calming measures on Bangor Rod, I’ve not seen them change in the last 3 years or so.

Owain Glyndwr
    Participant

Matt
    Participant

I hear the Government is consulting on proposing councils remove traffic calming measures such as speed bumps and anything else that causes vehicles to excessively slow down and increase pollution and emissions, to also improve traffic flow through built up areas. With things not expected to be finalised until later this year and councils not planning to apply measures as part of clean air strategies until December 2018, it is unclear whether there will be an increase or decrease in traffic calming measures across Wrexham over the next few years. It will also depend on whether or not the clean air strategy decision implementations for Wales get devolved to the Assembly or get covered by and England/Wales wide legislation delivered directly from Westminster.

Of course there is the whole concern of clean air vs actual road safety, if someone gets mowed down or crashes due to a reckless driver after traffic calming measures get removed, I doubt they will be thinking at least I’m breathing in ‘clean air’.

Of course if people just chose to stick to the highway code and drove correctly like they were taught when they passed their test then we wouldn’t have all these issues on the road anyway. Reckless driving habits, distractions from mobile devices and the constant need to shave 30 seconds off journey times are surely things not worth risking your own life and others for.

eyeman
    Participant

Also commend the calls to reduce speeding but as a former Ruabon resident I too didn’t notice speeding being any worse than other parts of town TBH. I’ve spent 2 out of the last 3 years using Bangor Road on my daily commute and it has been traffic calmed with 2 new humped zebra crossings, a widened pavement and a flashing warning sign however I seemed to be the only driver who bothered to take note slowing down to 20mph with so many impatient drivers behind me siting on my rear bumper. One even overtook me once while I was sat waiting to let someone with the right of way to pass the parked cars, she then proceeded to give me the bird! I personally don’t see the problem in slowing down for a couple of minutes whilst driving past a school and people’s houses! Take a breather for minute before putting your foot down (legally) on the bypass! Stop for a minute and think if you’d like to see people speeding right outside your front door or as your children come and go for school?

michael hunt
    Participant

I think that we have moved away from the point of the post which was to highlight the issue of Councillor Bithell telling a fellow councillor that there was no money for traffic calming features, while he makes sure that his own ward has an abundance of every possible feature.

So how has Bangor Road has changed in the last 3 years?

2 new zebra crossings, numerous flashing warning signs and in the last 4 months two speed bumps have appeared on a layby leading past about 6 houses. I’m not decrying the use of traffic calming I’m saying that there seems to be plenty of money for Johnstown but none for Ruabon.

I just hope that Johnstown isn’t being favoured over all other wards just because the ward member is also Lead member for environment where he can get his hands on the highway budget

Transportuser
    Participant

[quote quote=143050]

I must say I’ve never noticed any speeding traffic in Ruabon. Dangerous driving and parking but not speeding.

I’ve not really noticed it either, except for out by the railway bridge into/out of the 40mph limit. Through the village itself? Not really.

As for the traffic calming measures on Bangor Rod, I’ve not seen them change in the last 3 years or so.[/quote]
    Try crossing the road near the turning for the railway station!
    Considering there’s a couple of bends there, the speed of some vehicles is beyond belief.

AMA Express
    Participant

Anyone with a bit of common sense wouldn’t try crossing there.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News