Speed KILLS…..

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Speed KILLS…..

• Author

Steve
    Participant

@MP1953 10986 wrote:

Well Said :):) Plus you save fuel…. Merry Christmas :)

I would be interested to know how you save fuel?

If you are driving in an appropriate gear for the speed (this would normally be 3rd in a 30mph zone) as well as keeping control of the car with engine speed, while some people believe that driving in a higher gear say 4th pushing their foot further down to get up an incline is using less fuel somehow….. Mystery.

Steve
    Participant

Just to add to my previous post, if your saying that’s its as simple as a car running at say 2000rpm vs a car in the same gear running at 1900rpm uses less fuel they their is another problem with the statement of saving fuel.

On a 10 mile journey, travelling at a constant 30mph it takes 20min, if you were saving fuel and driving at a constant 27mph the journey would take 22min 12 seconds so the fuel you have saved driving slower will have all been wasted again with your car engine running for 2min 12 seconds longer.

The real purpose of starting this thread was regarding the government twisting statistics to say that speed kills, lets put in another way…. If I was stupid enough to cross the road without checking it was clear, I would rather do it on a 40mph road with a driver travelling towards me paying attention to the road conditions and road ahead and probably be able to stop or slow down in time to minimise an impact rather than doing the same thing in a 20mph zone with someone texting on their phone or not paying attention for some other reason and hitting me at 20mph.

Point being its not the speed its the inappropriate speed or poor driving that kills!

Drive safe everyone over Christmas!!

MP1953
    Participant

@Steve 10993 wrote:

Just to add to my previous post, if your saying that’s its as simple as a car running at say 2000rpm vs a car in the same gear running at 1900rpm uses less fuel they their is another problem with the statement of saving fuel.

On a 10 mile journey, travelling at a constant 30mph it takes 20min, if you were saving fuel and driving at a constant 27mph the journey would take 22min 12 seconds so the fuel you have saved driving slower will have all been wasted again with your car engine running for 2min 12 seconds longer.

The real purpose of starting this thread was regarding the government twisting statistics to say that speed kills, lets put in another way…. If I was stupid enough to cross the road without checking it was clear, I would rather do it on a 40mph road with a driver travelling towards me paying attention to the road conditions and road ahead and probably be able to stop or slow down in time to minimise an impact rather than doing the same thing in a 20mph zone with someone texting on their phone or not paying attention for some other reason and hitting me at 20mph.

Point being its not the speed its the inappropriate speed or poor driving that kills!

Drive safe everyone over Christmas!!

You save fuel by not continually keeping your foot down and razing (is that a word !!) through every gear to get to the desired speed, whether it is 20 mph 30 40 70 or whatever, this is a proven fact.

But with regards to cameras, etc. as I have already said I don’t believe in them being used to make revenue, but my question was how do you curb inappropriate speed shall I say, which I still say causes accidents and deaths far more than drink driving has ever done, and that is another unpublicized fact…. I don’t have the answer by the way …

Chris
    Participant

@speediecars 10981 wrote:

I thought they allowed give and take but obviously they dont and to me its all about money not safety.

I was travelling on the A5 from Lord Moreton roundabout to Chirk and they were sitting on the bridge and my ticket does clearly say 61mph and I am sure they have not changed the limit to 50mph so on a national speed road it is 60mph so yes i have been done for 1mph over the speed limit.

The amount of bad driving I see on the roads including people overtaking on blind bends, tailgating and red light jumping and I get done for 1mph, really have no faith in the police.

Were you driving a car or minibus if you were in a minibus speed limit might be the same as a commercial vehicle this applies for all non car derived vans eg transits.

Steve
    Participant

@Chris 11003 wrote:

Were you driving a car or minibus if you were in a minibus speed limit might be the same as a commercial vehicle this applies for all non car derived vans eg transits.

Good point, one that we all missed. His limit may have been 50mph not 60mph

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Steve
    Participant

@MP1953 11001 wrote:

You save fuel by not continually keeping your foot down and razing (is that a word !!) through every gear to get to the desired speed, whether it is 20 mph 30 40 70 or whatever, this is a proven fact.

My son who was leaned to drive 12 moths ago was taught to use 3rd gear in a 30mph (in most situations) to keep good control over the car and speed.

Here is what the IAM say….

The IAM’s Advice on the Use of Gears and Advanced Driving

Advanced Driving is all about being in the right place at the right time, travelling at the right speed with the correct gear engaged. In other words, “Speed for the hazard – gear for the speed”.

Using the gears correctly is a basic requirement of advanced driving; select the right gear before reaching a hazard and use the intermediate ratios whenever necessary, including for brisk acceleration.

Properly co-ordinated gear changes are smooth and precise without any jerking, and passengers do not usually notice them. A smooth downward change requires a little pressure on the accelerator pedal to match engine speed to the road speed when the drive is taken up again.

Do not change down through the gears when slowing down. It’s “brakes to slow – gears to go”, except in an emergency. You can use the lower gears for maximum engine braking going down a steep hill or on a slippery road where you might skid, or if your brakes fail.

Don’t ride or slip the clutch, or coast to a stop with the clutch disengaged.

Automatic gearboxes remove most of the need for decision-making about gear changes in normal driving conditions. But, always consider the advantages of using the intermediate ‘hold’ positions when brisk acceleration is needed.

Recent research by the IAM and BBC Radio 4’s ‘Today’ programme looked at why some drivers exceed the 30 mph speed limit. The research was confined to drivers likely to commit ‘marginal’ speed violations in 30 mph limits, not those that greatly exceed the limit. All the participants had manual transmissions and 79% had modern, five speed gear boxes. Drivers were asked: “Do you ever find the car tends to ‘creep’ above 30 mph without you realising it?” 74% of those taking part in the poll answered “Yes”.

They were then asked what gear they would normally use when trying to maintain a steady 30 mph. 54% thought that they should be in either fourth or fifth gear.

The research is thought to be the first looking at driver behaviour and gear selection. It suggests that selecting the most appropriate and most flexible gear for the speed is a simple, practical step that individual drivers can take to curb their speed and avoid prosecution.

But selecting the appropriate and most flexible gear for the speed isn’t enough on its own. You also have to use good acceleration sense.

Acceleration sense is the ability to vary the speed of the vehicle in response to changing road and traffic conditions by accurate use of the accelerator, and it requires careful observation, full anticipation, sound judgement of speed and distance and an awareness of the vehicle’s capabilities. By using third gear and accurate acceleration sense, you can stay within a 30 mph speed limit quite comfortably in most modern manual cars without putting any strain on the engine, the gearbox or the transmission.

Developing your acceleration sense will also help you to avoid unnecessary braking. Braking, even at 30 mph (44 feet/14 meters per second) can destabilize the vehicle. But, if you vary your speed in 30 mph speed limits by just using the accelerator (acceleration sense), you have a finer level of control of your vehicle and your speed. You can also improve fuel consumption and minimise expensive wear and tear on your car too.

Optimum economy levels aren’t just about the engine and road speeds; throttle openings are important factors too. You actually consume a lot more fuel, and you are much less environmentally friendly, if you are in a high gear (fourth or fifth) at a low road speed (30 mph or less). That’s because the throttle opening has to be wider to address the imbalance between the inappropriate gear and your speed. More fuel is admitted into the manifold and the engine, and the result is that you tend to increase your road speed. But, if you select a more responsive gear (third) for the same road speed (30 mph or less) and you use a “light right foot”, the throttle opening will be narrower and less fuel consumed. Smoother driving gives you better control of the vehicle and improved passenger comfort – plus it’s more economic and more environmentally friendly.

For information on any other aspect of driving or riding please visit the IAM iam.org.uk

Steve
    Participant

Some statistics taken from ROSPA.

Personally I don’t like the ways statistics can be twisted, although I guess they do have a place to measure a behaviour over time, take the fist one for example….
    “Speeding – Around 400 people a year are killed in crashes in which someone exceeds the speed limit or drives too fast for the conditions.”

So 400 killed due to speeding….. but this is not breaking the speed limit, although some are, others are by people driving at an inappropriate speed for the conditions.

Then…

Failed to Look Properly
    40% of road crashes involve someone who ‘failed to look properly’.

Failed to Judge Other Person’s Path/Speed
    One in five (20%) crashes involve a road user failing to judge another person’s path or speed.

So ROSPA say from the ‘statistics’ that 60% of crashes on the road are basically caused by people not looking or judging properly!

ROSPA

Today, Great Britain has one of the best road safety records in Europe and the world. Despite massive increases in traffic over the last few decades, the number of people killed on our roads has fallen from around 5,500 per year in the mid 1980s to 1,754 in 2012. However, this still means that around five people die on Britain’s roads every day.

Sadly, driver error remains the most common cause of road accidents.

Speeding
    Around 400 people a year are killed in crashes in which someone exceeds the speed limit or drives too fast for the conditions.

Drink Driving
    Around 280 people die a year in crashes in which someone was over the legal drink drive limit.

Seat Belt Wearing
    Around 300 lives each year could be saved if everyone always wore their seat belt.

Careless Driving
    Around 300 deaths a year involve someone being “careless, reckless or in a hurry”, and a further 125 involve “aggressive driving”.

At-work
    Around one third of fatal and serious road crashes involve someone who was at work.

Inexperience
    More than 400 people are killed in crashes involving young car drivers aged 17 to 24 years, every year, including over 150 young drivers, 90 passengers and more than 170 other road users.

Failed to Look Properly
    40% of road crashes involve someone who ‘failed to look properly’.

Loss of Control
    One third of fatal crashes involved ‘loss of control’ of a vehicle.

Failed to Judge Other Person’s Path/Speed
    One in five crashes involve a road user failing to judge another person’s path or speed.

Iceman
    Participant

@Steve 11004 wrote:

Good point, one that we all missed. His limit may have been 50mph not 60mph

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Or there could have been a temporary speed limit in force due to roadworks etc.

Whitevanman
    Participant

Just bringing up an old thread sorry, received a speeding ticket today off the friendly people at go safe for speeding on the a483 junction 7 at rosset, for doing the dangerous speed of 71 in a 70! The day in question was just another day the t**t was on the bridge hiding behind the trees! Happy new year to me!!!!

Chris
    Participant

You should have ootion of speed awareness course which is now cheaper than fp

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News