Speed KILLS…..

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Speed KILLS…..

• Author

Darlofan
    Participant

Totally agree about the speed vans. The problem I feel with them is they catch a snapshot of a split second in time and not what is going on around a motorist at the time.
    An of example of this that have happened to me recently was coming down Gresford hill on the 483 round the bend onto the straight where the van is regularly seen on the Rossett bridge. I was doing 70 overtaking a foreign lorry when he suddenly started to move to the second lane to overtake (clearly had no idea I was there).

In that splitsecond I decided that as i had cars behind it was safer to put my foot down rather than slam the brakes on, so as i came past the lorry (almost in the central res) i was doing approx 82ish mph. Now if that van had been on the bridge i would have had 3points, a fine by now and no way of proving what had happened apart from a nice close up of my reg number and me driving my car.

Up here in Penycae and Rhos we have the new 20 zones everywhere in all the months since the vans have never been seen in them they sit outside Johnstown fire station and The Moreton Pub, both of which are still 30 zones. Judging by the number of wheels spinning and high revving engines they could do with parking in the 20 zones but i suspect they’d not catch enough to make it “worthwhile”;)

NJones
    Participant

@speediecars 10964 wrote:

On a seperate note, I have been sent a speeding ticket the other day for driving at the dangerous speed of 61mph in a 60mph when I was sure I was doing 60mph on my clock. A total disgrace as this was on a single carriageway in light traffic with the van hiding on the bridge. Can someone tell me how 1mph is really justified, I can understand 10mph over the speed limit but 1mph shows how out of touch the police really are.

Thought you were supposed be allowed about 10% discrepancy due to tyre wear/ inflation conditions and tyre heat which can affect speedo accuracy?

Iceman
    Participant

@NJones 10974 wrote:

Thought you were supposed be allowed about 10% discrepancy due to tyre wear/ inflation conditions and tyre heat which can affect speedo accuracy?

There is no way you would get a ticket for doing 61 in a 60. They have to allow for some leeway for the speedo accuracy.

Speediecars
    Participant

I thought they allowed give and take but obviously they dont and to me its all about money not safety.

I was travelling on the A5 from Lord Moreton roundabout to Chirk and they were sitting on the bridge and my ticket does clearly say 61mph and I am sure they have not changed the limit to 50mph so on a national speed road it is 60mph so yes i have been done for 1mph over the speed limit.

The amount of bad driving I see on the roads including people overtaking on blind bends, tailgating and red light jumping and I get done for 1mph, really have no faith in the police.

lazyjack
    Participant

@speediecars 10981 wrote:

I thought they allowed give and take but obviously they dont and to me its all about money not safety.

I was travelling on the A5 from Lord Moreton roundabout to Chirk and they were sitting on the bridge and my ticket does clearly say 61mph and I am sure they have not changed the limit to 50mph so on a national speed road it is 60mph so yes i have been done for 1mph over the speed limit.

The amount of bad driving I see on the roads including people overtaking on blind bends, tailgating and red light jumping and I get done for 1mph, really have no faith in the police.

If I was done for 61 in a 60 zone I would fight it all the way, it’s just ridiculous. How can they be sure that their equipment is that accurate ?

I don’t know about others but I find I’m looking at the speedometer so often now that my eyes are not on the road enough. Noticed it tonight and thought of this thread.

johnhoppy
    Participant

We should all drive according to the road conditions. Sometimes the legal speed limit is too fast and at other times it can be ridiculously too low. I believe that the recent wholesale reduction in speed limits in this area are nothing less than a money making exercise, under the guise of road safety. Accidents have occurred on some stretches of these roads, but in most cases the culprits were exceeding the existing speed limits, and lowering them will not deter this type of driver.

As stated by Lazyjack most of us drive around these days with one eye on the speedo which can not be a good thing for road safety. One solution which I use from time to time is to use Cruise Control set to the speed limit, which may save you points and a fine should you forget to keep to the required speed.

sparky1
    Participant

I know that the subject of points and speed limits is a hot one but I was told that ” the speed limit is not a target we should aim for but a maximum for driving safely” !!!!!!!!!!!! so why don’t we all just slow down? make your maximum 10% less, you really don’t get there any quicker and you could be saving your money and points on your licence , and more to the point yours or someone’s life ! plus the police force will have to catch criminals instead of catching you ! Its a win win I guess “ MERRY CHRISTMAS”

Iceman
    Participant

@speediecars 10981 wrote:

You should definately challenge it, it must be a mistake. I would ring them up to check. You do have the option to elect for a Court appearance. My guess is that it would be binned before it got that far if the road still is a 60. No Court would convict for 1 mph over.

MP1953
    Participant

@sparky1 10984 wrote:

I know that the subject of points and speed limits is a hot one but I was told that ” the speed limit is not a target we should aim for but a maximum for driving safely” !!!!!!!!!!!! so why don’t we all just slow down? make your maximum 10% less, you really don’t get there any quicker and you could be saving your money and points on your licence , and more to the point yours or someone’s life ! plus the police force will have to catch criminals instead of catching you ! Its a win win I guess “ MERRY CHRISTMAS”

Well Said :):) Plus you save fuel…. Merry Christmas :)

johnhoppy
    Participant

@sparky1 10984 wrote:

A fair point provided the speed limits at set properly and not at an artificially low level. In this area we now have 50mph limits on roads which are designed to be driven on at 70 mph. I am an ex professional driver (buses/coaches) and as I stated previously we should always drive according to road conditions which quite often is lower than the speed limit. Somehow I don’t think the police will be catching criminals instead of motorists. They may not be catching you but they will still be there waiting for the next guy!!

Happy Xmas to you all.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News

Prioritise support over punishment for young vapers, says Public Health Wales

News

New video shows Wrexham AFC chairman “Baseball-izing” Football Game ahead of MLB World Tour

News