Speed KILLS…..

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Speed KILLS…..

• Author

Steve
    Participant

The council will be rubbing their hands now that their had been 2 crashes in Rhostyllen within a week, why? Well I am sure they will be looking at reducing the speed limit on the main road again (worked well last time they dropped it from 40 to 30, obviously worthwhile :rolleyes: ) and they will be able to generate more revenue from an everyday motorist paying attention to his surroundings but creeping over the speed limit.

From the Twitter feeds etc. it also does not sound like neither accident was caused by excessive speed.

I should just add I have undertaken both the IAM Car and Bike tests and have a clean licence, so this post is not from someone who was caught last week and is bitter, but someone who is tired of all the Speed Kills B.S.
    Inappropriate Speed, not paying attention, making bad decisions can Kill!

A guy from British Columbia puts his point across well in the video below….
    Speed Kills Your Pocketbook – YouTube

Typical Wrexham…..

a6ee5bea-bd42-45b3-bf06-ea4af9bd1ab2_zps8c83988c.jpg

IMG_1529a_zps68957493.jpg

The above photograph was taken by me in April 2006, you can see how the massive sign hides the car coming from the opposite direction, how a lorry has locked up to give way to oncoming traffic, the road is used a lot by visitors to Wrexham towing caravans, and the best part, this road was a national speed limit with traffic calming installed??? What have Wrexham council done in 2013, no they have not seen the error of their ways and removed the dangerous traffic calming measures they installed but reduced the road speed limit to 40mph!

On the flip side and in the interest of a balanced debate, on Cefn Road they have removed their pointless traffic calming chicanes that caused massive delays on the road and encouraged people to raise their speed allowing them to nip through before the oncoming car got closer. Yes they have removed the disaster they installed, and placed rather large speed ramps by the Sutton Drive section of the road where is makes more sense to have a managed reduced speed.

zinger
    Participant

In the last couple of weeks I was in London & was quite surprised to see that the main shopping streets Oxford & Regent Street had no pedestrianisation or speed bumps, rather like Llangollen but on a larger scale. Is this because the multi cultural people from all over the world who visit London & Llangollen know how to walk on the pavements? Are we more nannyish in Wrexham when compared to elsewhere?

lazyjack
    Participant

It would certainly be worth someone from WCBC highways and NWP dept having a look at that video.

My problem with the ‘Go Safe’ van is I don’t believe it is genuinely being used to reduce speed and improve road safety. To me, the priority is revenue. Some of the places I have seen it parked do seem like they don’t really want motorists to notice it and slow down, they would rather them get caught speeding.

Steve
    Participant

@lazyjack 10957 wrote:

It would certainly be worth someone from WCBC highways and NWP dept having a look at that video.

Along with many other roads in and around Wrexham, the B5098 off Wrexham road dropped from National Speed (60mph – Cars) down to 50mph, I can’t recall an accident on the road. However it does have a nice flat parking area at the top where it joins the B5097, ideally placed for certain van to park. :rolleyes:

Whitevanman
    Participant

Go safe vans are a waste of time, 9 out of 10 cars coming in the opposite direction flash to let you know he’s there anyway, they are just revenue raisers, just the other day there was a speed camera van parked on the brow of a hill on a straight road in a 30 zone in wrexham it was impossible to see him til you were coming over the brow of the hill, wonder if NWP will ever realise the vans are mostly parked illegally and dangerously and start giving these vans parking tickets!!

MP1953
    Participant

Tried not to post on this, but as others I detest any sort of sneaky speed cameras, vans or whatever, but the fact is generally most people these days drive to fast in built up areas where there are people and children trying to cross roads, and these days the cars are so sharp on acceleration which makes it difficult to judge how much time you have to cross a road.

So the question is how do you curtail this behavior without cameras etc. ????

Speediecars
    Participant

The issue here is all about collecting revenue from drivers and pushing the ‘speed kills’ at everyone.

The speed bumps around Wrexham are horrendous and they are everywhere and this causes damage to vehicles no matter how slow you go over them. I take my time over speed bumps and dont go over 10mph over them yet i still have to get my lower arms and suspension fixed as there are so many speed bumps.

As for the give way islands, these should be banned as people always try to rush through them and drive at the oncoming cars, I have had this happen plenty of times and had the fingers put up to me by the drivers rushing through.

As for speed cameras and the ‘arrive alive’, what a complete mess this is. I am guessing you will notice that they are out in force over the xmas period and all this is about is raising revenue. If it was really about safety then they should replace the vans with officers who will do breath tests too rather than just issuing tickets,

On a seperate note, I have been sent a speeding ticket the other day for driving at the dangerous speed of 61mph in a 60mph when I was sure I was doing 60mph on my clock. A total disgrace as this was on a single carriageway in light traffic with the van hiding on the bridge. Can someone tell me how 1mph is really justified, I can understand 10mph over the speed limit but 1mph shows how out of touch the police really are.

AMA Express
    Participant

@zinger 10956 wrote:

the main shopping streets Oxford & Regent Street had no pedestrianisation or speed bumps,

It’s probably because only buses and taxis are allowed to use those roads and the average speed of traffic in London is less than 20mph anyway.

zinger
    Participant

I thought that they allowed 10% for accuracy.

Iceman
    Participant

@speediecars 10964 wrote:

The issue here is all about collecting revenue from drivers and pushing the ‘speed kills’ at everyone.

The speed bumps around Wrexham are horrendous and they are everywhere and this causes damage to vehicles no matter how slow you go over them. I take my time over speed bumps and dont go over 10mph over them yet i still have to get my lower arms and suspension fixed as there are so many speed bumps.

As for the give way islands, these should be banned as people always try to rush through them and drive at the oncoming cars, I have had this happen plenty of times and had the fingers put up to me by the drivers rushing through.

As for speed cameras and the ‘arrive alive’, what a complete mess this is. I am guessing you will notice that they are out in force over the xmas period and all this is about is raising revenue. If it was really about safety then they should replace the vans with officers who will do breath tests too rather than just issuing tickets,

On a seperate note, I have been sent a speeding ticket the other day for driving at the dangerous speed of 61mph in a 60mph when I was sure I was doing 60mph on my clock. A total disgrace as this was on a single carriageway in light traffic with the van hiding on the bridge. Can someone tell me how 1mph is really justified, I can understand 10mph over the speed limit but 1mph shows how out of touch the police really are.

What road was it?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News