SNOW in Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum SNOW in Wrexham

• Author

wxm
    Participant

Start of a long piece published in the press:

BEN Owen has lost count of the amount of hours morning, noon and night he has spent keeping the highways of Wrexham clear during one of the worst winter snaps in recent times.

Excellent Ben. What resources do we have available to deploy and redeploy to snow. And how did we perform?

Interesting writing from the piece published in the press.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

The biggest asset that Wrexham Council has seems to be it’s work force, if Ben Owen is typical. The council’s work force has been amazing in clearing the snow. It has been the heaviest snowfall in years and clearing it has been no mean feat. I expect they have had abuse from some but the work force don’t decide on priorities, they follow the instructions given them. I think they deserve a great big pat on the back for their efforts.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

thewayneinspain
    Participant

I hate this kind of reporting.

The headline says…
    “How councils have been working round the clock to keep our roads clear”

but in reality it’s just a quote from a young bloke on what he does. This article gives no reporting on what the council actually does, just what one guys does.

Cheap lazy reporting, which we see more of at the daily post because they have made so many local journalists redundant over the few months.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

If one man has done it then surely others have too.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Welsh Dresser;5238 wrote:
    If one man has done it then surely others have too.

Absolutely, and from what I saw the local council workers did a better job than Birmingham’s.

But this article doesn’t actually say what the council does, just the human interest story, which will always get the sympathy vote from readers, however the article doesn’t give any facts on whats done or the policy developed by the councillors..

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Most readers are only interested in the human interest part. Peruse the publications on sale in most supermarkets and you will find a mountain of gossip magazines and very little serious journalism. It seems to be what people want today. A bit of escapism from the real world. Personally I wouldn’t give them room in my bin but it takes all sorts.

Rondetto
    Participant

Funny what a few days of sun can do. I thought it would take weeks to clear the pavements, but it’s almost all gone now.

Alunh
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 5242 wrote:

Most readers are only interested in the human interest part. Peruse the publications on sale in most supermarkets and you will find a mountain of gossip magazines and very little serious journalism. It seems to be what people want today. A bit of escapism from the real world. Personally I wouldn’t give them room in my bin but it takes all sorts.

I (kind of) agree with what you’re both saying. The truth for me is that it is great to hear a human interest story particularly if it is a positive one. I do like the stats though and I do like comparisons (over time and between authorities). If the one human interest story is the rule and not the exception that is fantastic. Conversely, as Wayne suggests, if it is the exception then that is different.

On this story, I really have no idea

zinger
    Participant

I do have one slight criticism about the snow clearance. I know that people will jump down my throat for this. There was to be an Open Day on Easter Sunday of the Bersham Colliery open air museum. Unfortunately it was cancelled due to the snow. Upon site inspection Thursday morning it was found that both the colliery car park gates & the double gates to the yard had had snow piled in front of them. Although this was not the reason for cancellation if it had been decided that the open day would go ahead there would have been no access for emergency services to the site & nowhere for anyone to park safely. Sorry for the down side. As everyone says otherwise they did a sterling job.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News