Snap General Election

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Snap General Election

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

In answer to earlier question re cam a Local Councillor also be an MP — the answer is yes someone can hold two roles. When John Marrick was MP for Wrexham he was also an AM as well for a period of time together-

It is a valid point though if someone stands and get elected to Local Government can they really carry out both roles successfully and the answer would be no.

If the elections had been the other way around and Ian Lucas lost his seat I wonder if he would have stood as a Local Councillor– this would be similar to Aled Roberts who was defeated at last WG election and now standing as a local Councillor.

Sloth
    Participant

[quote quote=130114]

This general election will take place before the negotiations. The SNP are calling for a referendum during the negotiations.

If a major sporting team started messing about and getting distracted in the build up to a big tournament, they would be heavily criticised and on failure of winning, blame would be attributed to the lack of preparations beforehand.

The negotiating process is already underway now that Article 50 has been triggered and to distract now is as bad as distracting at any point. 6 weeks of the PM’s teams working on electioneering is 6 weeks taken away from spending time focusing on getting the best deal for the country. 6 weeks for BoJo to parade around what an utter incompetent f*ckwit he is both nationally and internationally. Fantastic negotiating strategy.

[/quote]

A more suitable analogy would be a sporting team investing heavily in the transfer market prior to a new season, since the Conservatives are clearly going to emerge from this election in a stronger position. I don’t know how any sane person who has looked at the polls can deny this.

The formal Brexit negotiations have not begun, the EU has been very clear that it wants all negotiations to take place with the the mandatory two year window. Currently the both sides are simply testing the waters and finalizing their strategies. The SNP were requesting a referendum during the later stages of the process, a very crucial time in any negotiation. They requested that date because they knew it was unreasonable, and the expected refusal allows them to construct a narrative that Westminster is dismissing the will of the Scottish people (despite the fact that opinion polls are consistently showing that most Scots don’t want a second referendum).

AMA Express
    Participant

Well, the 3 main parties seem to have got their campaign buses sorted already.

[URL=http://s163.photobucket.com/user/KayaKoyuWalker/media/Labour%20bus.jpg.html][IMG]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t301/KayaKoyuWalker/Labour%20bus.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Sheefag
    Participant

Corbyn leading Labour, flanked by John McDonnell, Emily Thornberry and Diane Abbott.

Yep, that’ll be a thumping Conservative majority and resounding victory then.

Interested
    Participant

[quote quote=130126]Well, the 3 main parties seem to have got their campaign buses sorted already.

[/quote]

Classic….thanks Sheefag spat my tea out.

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

[quote quote=130126]Well, the 3 main parties seem to have got their campaign buses sorted already.

[/quote]meanwhile a dozen or so Tory MP’s have had their 2015 expenses limit referred to the Crown Prosecution Service for incidentals such as the ” battle bus ” – hotel expenses and the like. Should they be allowed to stand with such question marks over their electioneering?

Interested
    Participant

Serious question from a voter who locally will vote for my Labour candidate but nationally still not entirely convinced.

Is Jeremy Corbyn a victim of a media who portray him as a half wit unable to galvanise his party?

Or

Is he actually just trying to offer a complete polar opposite to the Conservatives but his message is falling short because of people’s impression gathered from the media?

Or…is he actually that unpopular and lives up to the media portrayal?

Will the polls be right or will there be a shock? Very interesting.

WrexhamUser
    Participant

[quote quote=130115]In answer to earlier question re cam a Local Councillor also be an MP — the answer is yes someone can hold two roles. When John Marrick was MP for Wrexham he was also an AM as well for a period of time together-

It is a valid point though if someone stands and get elected to Local Government can they really carry out both roles successfully and the answer would be no.

If the elections had been the other way around and Ian Lucas lost his seat I wonder if he would have stood as a Local Councillor– this would be similar to Aled Roberts who was defeated at last WG election and now standing as a local Councillor.

[/quote]

To take this even further, if dual political roles are an issue, is it not also the case that local politicians should be dissuaded from serving both as both County Councillors and Parish Councillors, and in one instance, a police commissioner? Do such dual roles in local politics create conflicts in their duties and responsibilities? Are they able to devote adequate time to both roles? Does the acceptance of dual roles in local politics lead to ‘career politicians’ within local government? I do not know the answer but it would be interesting to read the opinion of others!

99DylanJones
    Participant

Personally I would say that a Local Councillor Member should either be a Community Councillor or at least attend all of their meetings — without this engagement then the Council Member would not really have their finger n the pulse for what is going on locally.

Conde
    Participant

[quote quote=130173]
    To take this even further, if dual political roles are an issue, is it not also the case that local politicians should be dissuaded from serving both as both County Councillors and Parish Councillors, and in one instance, a police commissioner? Do such dual roles in local politics create conflicts in their duties and responsibilities? Are they able to devote adequate time to both roles? Does the acceptance of dual roles in local politics lead to ‘career politicians’ within local government? I do not know the answer but it would be interesting to read the opinion of others!
    [/quote]

Interesting point – there’s loads of examples of dual role holders. Including many current AM’s who are current Councillors. Though must admit, many of these were wiped out in 2016 WG elections.

Personally, don’t see a MASSIVE issue in a Cllr wanting to stand for Parliament or WG. Providing if they win, they call a by-election in the original role. There’s actually a petition for this (I’m sure there are many to be honest… http://www.senedd.assembly.wales/mgIssueHistoryHome.aspx?IId=005381)

I believe you’re right to suggest that there is a conflict of interest in dual-holding roles. (One of the reason I argued for a Cllr not standing in both Community and County elections simultaneously – I believe they should be present as a witness to observe and engage, but not vote!)

Regarding Career Politicians – I don’t really know what I think of the idea, I understand that many people think it’s a negative thing – however if a Politician is good at their job, then what’s the harm in them standing for a long period of time. Just look at the late Gerald Kaufman as a prime example. 30+ years in parliament! Unsure of his other political history though!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News