Snap General Election

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Snap General Election

• Author

IMHO
    Participant

[quote quote=130079]The thought of Jeremy Corbyn in charge of the country should be enough to stop anyone from voting Labour!

[/quote]

Indeed.

I voted for Tony Bliar and that was the last time i voted labour.
    He opened our doors to mass immigration and refused to listen to when we said, “enough”:
    labour paid the price and, are still paying it.

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

[quote quote=130077]Conservative Andrew Atkinson
    Plaid’s Carrie Harper and Marc Jones
    Lib Dem’s Rob Walsh

All previous candidates, all wannabe career politicians. So the question is will they stand again? If so what impact does that have on the local elections and does it mean they would need to step down to become a candidate for the National elections? Anybody know the answer?

Personally believe that this has been called 12 months too early for the Conservatives. I think or hope Labour retain Wrexham and Clwyd South. As a past Conservative voter I would now rather walk on glass than vote for them. The under funding and covert privatisation of the NHS, austerity cuts whilst maintaining fat cat bonuses etc. Etc. But we will see what the people of Wrexham want.

[/quote]the date for withdrawal from the local contest is past and anyone declaring for the snap election who is standing for council sends a clear message of priorities and what they rate as second rate!

Matt
    Participant

Agree that Ian Lucas has really pushed his luck as Labour MP for Wrexham and I’m not overly enamoured with Susan Elan Jones’ voting with the government to bomb Syria.

However, the fact that the media has Theresa May portrayed as a picture of sanity, she claims that God speaks to her and guides her. If she was any religion other than Christianity, in this now faux Christian state people would be getting the opinion of 2 medical professionals and getting her sectioned or held under terrorist laws if she was muslim.

Yet apparently Jeremy Corbyn is the dangerous lunatic with these incredibly irrational policies:

Labour Policies

Now I’m not 100% sold or deluded that Corbyn and Labour could save the country and Wales (will be interesting to see what Welsh policies unfold). However, anyone has to be better than the abysmal performance of the Tories since 2015 and arguably during coalition. David Cameron pledges a Brexit vote with no plan on how to execute Brexit if it happens, lies are heaped on to get people to vote for promises that can’t be kept and then Theresa May comes in and government U-Turn after government U-Turn happens, including a U-Turn where she said that no General Election would occur until 2020 and now here it is coming in 6 weeks.

People are going to complain whoever is running the country, but the current shower are toxic and have turned us against the whole of Europe and alienated Scotland and Northern Ireland and at the same time continuously threaten the NHS and the apparently labelled ‘Just About Managing’ JAM demographic of people, which includes lots of hard working families and young individuals.

People just need to take a reality check and decide whether they want to continue to be punished and treated with disrespect by the Tories for another 5 years or vote for a change. I’m not even fussed who people vote for as long as it is a meaningful vote against the Tories.

Matt
    Participant

Oh that and someone just reminded me that Theresa May’s excuse to Scotland a few weeks back was that they couldn’t have an independence referendum because she was busy focusing on Brexit negotiations to deal with any voting in the next 2 years, now she’s called a full blown General Election which apparently won’t cause distractions from the same negotiations.

Out to Lunch, Dinner and Supper.

Rex Ham
    Participant

What lucid points you make Matt. Well said.

BenjaminM
    Participant

i am totally with you Matt in everything you say in your post. i am not totally enamoured by the stance that Ian Lucas has taken on a number of issues but when compared to the likely candidates as suggested by Interested, there is no reasonable alternative to represent Wrexham.

I have always considered it to be the norm to start low and aim higher. But with the candidates that Interested suggests, it would appear their mindset has been to try to start big, fail in the attempt, and work their way down, hence their appearance as candidates for WCBC.

I am with you Andrew, it will be VERY interesting reading to see who appears on the ballot paper when the candidates are selected for Westminster. That will undoubtedly give a clear indication of where priorities lie.

Sloth
    Participant

I’m sure Theresa May has her quirks, and she clearly isn’t the social justice warrior that she pretends to be.

But if we’re on the subject of past quotes and strange beliefs, then I think the next couple of months are going to be very interesting. The Tories are going to carry out a smear campaign against Corbyn that will highlight why even his own party see him as a dangerous kook. Aside from the fact that he’s proposing economic polices that have a long track record of failure within this country, he has a shadow-Chancellor who walks around Parliament with a copy of Chairman Mao’s “Little Red Book”.

Although surely the most damaging problem is that over many decades he has consistently sympathized with violent anti-British terror groups, and brutal communist dictators. His recent warm eulogies for Fidel Castro and Martin McGuinness prove that he’s still completely out of touch with the public mood on these subjects. His suggestion that he wouldn’t fire back if the UK was being targeted by nuclear warheads is also of great concern to the majority of the British electorate. The fact that he doesn’t sing the national anthem is sure to alienate many patriots.

His liberal attitude towards immigration is also far away from what the majority of the British electorate would like it to be.

I respect that he has principles that he has held on to for decades, but this fact is also why he’s unelectable. The Labour party is supposed to be a party of government, not a party of protest. Under Corbyn they are the latter.

Sloth
    Participant

From a purely local perspective, I think Lucas has to go. Whether or not you support Labour, his track record since 2001 has been poor. Of course he can’t take all of the blame, but when a constituency has been in constant decline for well over a decade, a decline that is sadly ongoing, then the local MP who has served throughout that period has to take a lot of responsibility for this.

His incompetence has long been shielded by the fact that Wrexham is historically a safe Labour seat.

Sloth
    Participant

[quote quote=130106]Oh that and someone just reminded me that Theresa May’s excuse to Scotland a few weeks back was that they couldn’t have an independence referendum because she was busy focusing on Brexit negotiations to deal with any voting in the next 2 years, now she’s called a full blown General Election which apparently won’t cause distractions from the same negotiations.

Out to Lunch, Dinner and Supper.

[/quote]

This general election will take place before the negotiations. The SNP are calling for a referendum during the negotiations.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=130112]
    This general election will take place before the negotiations. The SNP are calling for a referendum during the negotiations.

[/quote]

If a major sporting team started messing about and getting distracted in the build up to a big tournament, they would be heavily criticised and on failure of winning, blame would be attributed to the lack of preparations beforehand.

The negotiating process is already underway now that Article 50 has been triggered and to distract now is as bad as distracting at any point. 6 weeks of the PM’s teams working on electioneering is 6 weeks taken away from spending time focusing on getting the best deal for the country. 6 weeks for BoJo to parade around what an utter incompetent f*ckwit he is both nationally and internationally. Fantastic negotiating strategy.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News