Smoking in Cars with Children aboard

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Smoking in Cars with Children aboard

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

Whilst most people will agree that the principal of this is good and well intended, how practically will this be to enforce ?

Firstly road traffic police has been reduced by 20 odd %

Police are already failing to enforce people using their mobiles in cars, never a day goes by without seeing someone.

Back to the smoking with children in the car, first of all the police will have to spot a person smoking, then spot if there are any children in the car, presumably they are in the back where with a lot of cars these days the back windows are smoked, all this probably in a split second.

Should it not be the adults that should be educated instead of bringing another unenforceable big brother law in ???? or is it once again a PC law?

Smoking In Cars Carrying Children To Be Banned In Wales | Wrexham.com

Bryn6
    Participant

What sort of people smoke around their children anyway?

dale
    Participant

If it get’s people thinking twice before doing it then it’s got to be better than doing nothing.

I agree it will be difficult to enforce though, as you say especially with the lack of traffic police.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

@Bryn6 18717 wrote:

What sort of people smoke around their children anyway?

The same sort who smoke when they are pregnant or around their pregnant partner.

Huw
    Participant

The answer…a total ban on smoking in any vehicle, children or no children. It is just as dangerous as using a mobile device whilst driving in my opinion.

MP1953
    Participant

@Big H 18726 wrote:

The answer…a total ban on smoking in any vehicle, children or no children. It is just as dangerous as using a mobile device whilst driving in my opinion.

Who and how will it be enforced though ? it is already an offence to use a hand held mobile in a vehicle…

Alunh
    Participant

@MP1953 18749 wrote:

Who and how will it be enforced though ? it is already an offence to use a hand held mobile in a vehicle…

In the short term, making it illegal will hopefully create a taboo around it and I trust will shame people into stopping. Additionally, I’m guessing that it will help lots of young people sue the older generation for ignoring the law

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

It worked with drink driving, whilst it is still a menace, it has become socially unacceptable to the majority, when less than 30 years ago it was not seem as that serious.

justjojo2011
    Participant

When I smoked, I never smoked in a car with my son. Ever. And now that I don’t smoke, I expect family members to not smoke in the car with him either.

But whilst on paper this law is a good thing, I do agree in how will it be policed. It is completely illegal to use a mobile phone while driving, but there are still plenty of nutjobs who do that too.

How are they going to do it? How are they going to PROVE it as well? There no doubt will be a number of cases where the driver or passenger will insist they weren’t smoking at all so the police then have to prove they were.

I’m not going to sit and judge people who do smoke with their kids in the car. Our parents who smoked did it with us, and their parents before them. The discussion isn’t about parental responsibility but the law regarding smoking with children in the car.

Darlofan
    Participant

It will be easy to police. Soon a company will come up with cameras that will be clear enough to photograph car interiors as you drive past(I believe trials have already taken place but not sure where). As soon as police realise they can make serious money using these they will be everywhere to catch mobile phone users, smokers, readers, shavers etc. Until money can be made police won’t be too bothered.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Campaign launched to reduce motorcycle-related deaths and serious injuries in north Wales

News

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News