Smoke Free Playground

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Smoke Free Playground

• Author

jamesbwxm
    Participant

Irregardless of the morality of smoking in children’s playgrounds, is this ban actually enforcable? I see no mention to any bylaws so I can’t possibly see that it’s anymore than a few signs going up to deter people from smoking there.

dewi73
    Participant

Was the ‘drinking of alcohol’ on the sign?

NJones
    Participant

The signs will have to be enforced by council representatives I’d imagine, bit like park wardens.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I would like to think it’s enforceable but unless there is someone on watch I doubt it will make much difference. Just visit the hospital to witness the no smoking on the premise being ignored.

Steve
    Participant

As above their is no respect for the Hospital ban and you have to walk through that to enter the hospital.

Dog C### all over the place is enforceable, but I have never known anyone to get a fine?

It’s a welcome idea and I hope it works, but enforceable…. guess time will tell?

BenjaminM
    Participant

One of the most stupid ideas I have come across. I walk my dog on a Council owned open area daily and yes, I do collect his waste. The size of the field is in the tens of acres and signs have appeared virtually overnight regarding smoking theron.
    Coupled with this, the absolutely ridiculous statement by our illustrious Mayor, that is another step to making Wrexham a smoke free County, just shows how out of touch the Slogan Makers are with reality.
    Also on Wrexham. Com today an article appeared reporting that WCBC is to issue another 20000 food caddies to increase its’ recycling capability. In the area I live, today was refuse collection day so, after reading the report and whilst walking my dog I passed in the region of 400 houses over 4 streets. Guess how many caddies were put out for collection? In total, 5. That equates to 1 in every 80 properties.When one considers the cost involved in purchasing the caddies, ongoing costs etc., is it really worthwhile?
    I do not think for one second that this area is an isolated example of the apathy towards the scheme. All it seems to be done for is to get one more tick in the ‘green’ box.

Rob
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 8057 wrote:

I would like to think it’s enforceable but unless there is someone on watch I doubt it will make much difference. Just visit the hospital to witness the no smoking on the premise being ignored.

Good point. It is depressing to go through at times :(

In terms of the playgrounds it makes sense but I hope there is no new ‘smoke wardens’ created to police it.

Metalhead
    Participant

Seeing as WCBC seems to deploy SWAT team lookalikes to police parking around the town these days I would expect these ‘smoke wardens’ to look like Robocop! :rolleyes:

Y Ffin
    Participant

People love making rules and regulations, especially if it is a case of them deciding they can prevent you doing things that might harm you.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@Steve 8059 wrote:

As above their is no respect for the Hospital ban and you have to walk through that to enter the hospital.

Dog C### all over the place is enforceable, but I have never known anyone to get a fine?

It’s a welcome idea and I hope it works, but enforceable…. guess time will tell?

This has reminded me of something I saw recently. I was in Betwys y Coed and there is a playing field there marked out as a football pitch. There are signs stating that dogs are not allowed on the field. A couple walked their dog across the pitch and out of nowhere a warden swooped and fined them on the spot. These rules are enforcable but it needs the staffing levels which means the funds need to be available.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News