Smoke control areas. Do we still need them?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Smoke control areas. Do we still need them?

• Author

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@NJones 2649 wrote:

You can find out which appliances are exempt from DEFRA’s site at: Appliances – Defra, UK I don’t think the cost is much more than standard burners but the difference is these have been tested and approved. I believe you also need to ensure your burner is installed to meet certain guidelines and that the local authority recommends that a HETAS registered installer puts the burner in, or at least checks over the installation and issues a HETAS compliance certificate. Find a HETAS installer here: HETAS Find Installer Solid Fuel Biomass Registered Installations
    I can’t comment on comparison of costs, but due to their rising popularity depreciation costs probably aren’t as high as 20%. You can pick up New DEFRA approved wood burners on ebay for around £350.

Cool, the depreciation cost is what Iwas approximating the lifetime of the product as that’s an added cost per year so to speak.

So rough start up costs a minimum of 450 (guessing that it’ll cost another 100 to get it installed.) then zero.

So that’s about 90 quid per year for first 5 years, plus the cost of wood (in terms of sustainablity that would involve the cost of planting tree each year for a more than adequate renewable supply.)

Depending on how the carbon waste is then stored this certainly seems a good idea as long as there is a more than adequate planting of trees this could effectively reduce carbon from the atmosphere.

Chris
    Participant

Okay as someone who has a log burner firstly depreciation is about 100% No one buys second hand ones. But that is the same for gas fires.
    Purchase price is similar £300 – £1000.
    Instalation cost is the biggy, done properly going from gas to burner will be around £600 upwards.
    Value of sitting in front of a burner on full chat priceless.
    Will I go back to a gas fire, no chance.

Currently most wood burnt is natural wastage from land clearance, storm damage, waste from timber industry.

If it becomes so popular that it need to be farmed then it will become a problem as the most suitable wood to burn is hardwood therefore slow growing. Pine is poor to burn as it tars the flu and burns too quickly.

NJones
    Participant

Thanks for clearing that up Chris. I’ve been looking an installation myself but think I’ll need new type of flue, etc etc. Need to save up more. I used to live in a house with an open fire (not in smokeless area) and we burnt fence panels, waste wood, anything we could get our hands on. Would to love to have something like that again but its the balance of using waste material v pollution argument.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News