Sioppa Hoppa

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Sioppa Hoppa

• Author

Rob
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 6191 wrote:

if the costs are 1,600 quid, how does bob dutton make the costs to be 35k?

Cost per month is £2,973.75 so x 12 = 35k ish

There is an offset as some fares were collected.

Out of the High St works there was a wodge provided by Taith as well.

Sam
    Participant

Would it be better to subsidise the buses INTO Wrexham than around Wrexham. A free bus to and from a certain route at certain times ? Surely, this will increase the town’s actual footfall rather than just moving it about our twin centered town.
    Obviously, if you keep the return bus late enough to give shoppers a lengthy period to shop in too, again, maximise your footfall.
    Car drivers get subsided parking too on some days on different carparks.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Rob;6197 wrote:
    Cost per month is £2,973.75 so x 12 = 35k ish

There is an offset as some fares were collected.

Out of the High St works there was a wodge provided by Taith as well.

okay, I’m a little confused. I thought the articles especially the FOI request said costs were around 1,600 approx.

Does the 1,600 approx mean 2,973 minus the cash it gets from WAG for OAP fares and offset fares?

Also is there a breakdown of costs… e.g.
    Wages
    Depreciation of bus/lease hire for bus/ PFI for bus
    Depreciation of road ‘improvements’ / PFI for road ímprovements’
    fuel
    road tax
    etc

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Welsh Dresser;6196 wrote:
    I would try it if it had a sound track. How about a flat rate charge of £1 no matter where you get on or off? It works abroad so why not in Wrexham.

Yes I’d do it once too. And then there are always theme opportunites…
    e.g.
    santa and christmas
    glyndwr day
    glyndwr uni day
    miners
    local artist day
    football day
    st davids day
    victorian day
    speak welsh day
    etc.

jimbow
    Participant

In my opinion the only way the Sioppa Hoppa would work for Wrexham is if we had a Park and Ride System.As previously alluded to the passengers were mainly old or disabled and therefore non paying passengers.The service needed to bring fare paying visitor passengers from a Park and Ride to have any chance of success.

Rob
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 6200 wrote:

okay, I’m a little confused. I thought the articles especially the FOI request said costs were around 1,600 approx.

Does the 1,600 approx mean 2,973 minus the cash it gets from WAG for OAP fares and offset fares?

Also is there a breakdown of costs… e.g.
    Wages
    Depreciation of bus/lease hire for bus/ PFI for bus
    Depreciation of road ‘improvements’ / PFI for road ímprovements’
    fuel
    road tax
    etc

Yes – ‘The Average Monthly Operating Cost: £1640.99 (March 2012 – October 2012) This figure is the cost to the Authority of providing the service less the income received through fares.’

https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/MinutesData/ExBoard/Reports/he2211.doc is the doc when it came into being, and mentions the bus is existing council stock.

The idea of it came from the Town Centre Forum really to link up the two ‘ends’ of the town.

To me that would suggest the problem perhaps still exists and this possible solution has not worked out.

Or, the perceived problem is not there as a solution was not used.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@jimbow 6202 wrote:

In my opinion the only way the Sioppa Hoppa would work for Wrexham is if we had a Park and Ride System.As previously alluded to the passengers were mainly old or disabled and therefore non paying passengers.The service needed to bring fare paying visitor passengers from a Park and Ride to have any chance of success.

I recently used the Chester park and ride and from April they no longer accept the bus passes. There were quite a few disgruntled OAPs on the bus I used who had to pay the fare.

Liam
    Participant

Bob said annual net costs were forecast at £21k, no idea if that helps.

Sam
    Participant

Whilst I feel sorry for the town centre forum trying to make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear. I’m no inner city / town planner but surely at the moment Wrexham has too few ‘open shops’ spread across a wide area.
    What if the few shops were moved to form a shopping corridor ( eagles meadow & island green linked) via shops.
    Imagine a supermarket with only half the shelves empty but spread across the whole store ! Empty spaces here and there, poor utilization of space. Reality states that if they had half of their stock, they’d compound it into half a full store, and turn the lights off in the bit not being used.
    Very simplistic, but you’ve got to start somewhere.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Sam;6206 wrote:
    Whilst I feel sorry for the town centre forum trying to make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear. I’m no inner city / town planner but surely at the moment Wrexham has too few ‘open shops’ spread across a wide area.
    What if the few shops were moved to form a shopping corridor ( eagles meadow & island green linked) via shops.
    Imagine a supermarket with only half the shelves empty but spread across the whole store ! Empty spaces here and there, poor utilization of space. Reality states that if they had half of their stock, they’d compound it into half a full store, and turn the lights off in the bit not being used.
    Very simplistic, but you’ve got to start somewhere.

I think a shopping corridor is a good idea. The problem is most of the buildings are privately owned and then their is the question of rates for a half emptu building. If that can sorted out, I think it would help the town no end.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News